Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Latest on Swissotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/latest-on-swissotel-318800/)

sfsaf May 19th, 2003 07:02 PM

Latest on Swissotel

We've booked into the Swissotel for Memorial Day Weekend and I'd like to get some current feedback on the hotel and the area. Many mixed reviews about the area, with comments such as the "area's improving." I'm not too faint of heart and have lived in big cities all my life. But I would be curious to know what recent hotel-goers have found. Also any tips on which rooms to ask for. Lastly, a good martini bar or fun restaurant within blocks for a Saturday evening rendez-vous?
Thanks, all!

travleis May 19th, 2003 08:01 PM

There are six Swissotels in the USA.
Wanna clue us in as to which one you're referring to?

sfsaf May 19th, 2003 08:45 PM

Well if you'd been sitting in my living room with me reading about Boston you'd know!! :-)

Yes, Boston. Sorry! Thanks!

sharkgb May 20th, 2003 01:23 PM

The area isn't that bad. Just be extra careful walking at night, but this applies to hotels in the better area's also. The hotel is handy to Downtown Crossing where there is a Filenes and Macy's. You'll be a three minute walk from Boston Common and could actually walk just abou anywhere from where you are. Fan Hall and the North End are about 15 munutes away. I have no idea what room woul dbe best, as I work two blocks away. Are you travelling w/ children or just adults? I can come back with some rest. suggestions.

hyatt222 May 21st, 2003 06:19 AM

I am wondering about Boston hotels too. We are looking into staying at either the Radisson Boston Hotel, or the Seaport Hotel. I am wondering about the location (which one has a better location for walking Boston, or riding the 'T'), the hotel in general, or any other information you can offer.
Thanks.

Anonymous May 21st, 2003 06:25 AM

Radisson is definitely in a more convenient location. The Seaport is new and lovely, but it's next to a convention center in the middle of noplace.

hyatt222 May 21st, 2003 06:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the Radisson is a good place to stay? I don't not need anything fancy, but I just want something clean and safe.

sfsaf May 21st, 2003 08:49 PM

No kids...just the two of us and a romantic weekend at that...so please, any restaurant suggestions nearby that are suitable would be great!
Thanks!

djkbooks May 21st, 2003 10:53 PM

I'm just guessing here - you'll be staying at the Swisshotel via Priceline? We've stayed there many times (also via Priceline). The "area" is just fine these days. Though not THE most ideal location for walking all about, it's just a few blocks removed, in all directions - from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, the Boston Common/Public Gardens, Copley Square/Back Bay. It's on the edge of Chinatown, to the way west of the Financial District (surely not a weekend sort of place anyway) to the east of the Theater District, and a bit of a hike from the Back Bay and waterfront. However, the hotel is just fabulous, a definite four-star within.

All rooms we've been randomly assigned there have been just fine. Beautiful, well appointed, comfortable, with nice views.

As for the "area", any vestiges of the way long ago by now "combat zone" are no longer apparent, though there are brand new buildings and renovations going on all about. You needn't be any more "faint of heart" here, or pay any more heed to the usual precautions, than anywhere else in Boston.

As for a good martini bar, head for Nine-Zero, the Ritz (either one), the Four Seasons, or the Oak Room at the Copley Plaza, just to mention a few.

What do you mean by a "fun" restaurant? What sort of "rendevous"? Either which way, highly recommend Abe & Louie's right across from the Pru. If you're ravenous and appreciate aged, wood roasted beef (the aromas are intoxicating), this is definitely a terrific destination (especially if you're ravenous!). Regardless, it's a fantastic Saturday/Sunday brunch destination (extensive menu, moderate prices) and you should reserve a sidewalk table forthwith!

Otherwise, head for McCormick & Schmidt at Quincy Marketplace (reservations recommended). Magnificent sidewalk terrace, wonderful food (rivals the ubiquitous Legal(s) big time) and could not be more congenial, romantic, or excellent for just watching the "passing parade".