Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Late September SFO coast trip - Bodega Bay or Inverness/Point Reyes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip late September, flying into SFO, and staying the first night in San Francisco. Most of the trip is being organised by our cousins who have visited the coast a few times and want to go diving, but we're going separate ways for the first 3 days & nights. After that will be 3 nights at Pismo Beach where I hope to kayak, 3 nights in Laguna Beach, then fly to Las Vegas for 4 nights.
I previously enjoyed Stinson Beach and so I'm tempted by Point Reyes to hire an Airbnb cottage at Inverness and see some wildlife, kayak, hike and hire a boat on the bay and eat some oysters and cheese. But not sure whether it'd be better to stay in an Inn in Bodega Bay.
Does anyone have any advice on things to do at either location late September, please?

Last edited by Stealthyjax; Apr 5th, 2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a question . . . Are you sure you want to go north of SF when the next stay is at Pismo Beach? Inverness to Pismo Beach is 5.5 hour at the best of times and depending on Bay Area traffic it could take close to 7 hours.

Have you considered going south or west instead - like Half Moon Bay, or Santa Cruz or Carmel?
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

...sorry, but I didn't include that we've done a few trips in the area between SFO & LAX but have done most of the usual places to visit including Carmel, Monteray, Morro Rock, Santa Barbera etc. plus last trip did Sonoma, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Lake Isabella, Death Valley on the way to Vegas and prior to that did the drive from Vegas to Denver - so don't mind a road trip! At least we're staying 3 nights at each location so a half day driving doesn't matter to us. I really liked the Marin County area when we visited Stinson Beach and wanted to visit again.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 06:58 AM

I think Point Reyes is far more interesting than Bodega Bay. But I would base in Pt Reyes Station instead of Inverness. Plus it will be a shorter drive to Pismo Beach.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 46 years, and I would never drive from Pt Reyes/Inverness to Pismo Beach. It is a mostly non-scenic route once you get in San Francisco & on to Pismo Beach. Getting through San Francisco might exhaust you - and then you have another 4 hrs of boring driving. Plan on a total 6 1/2 hr drive if this is on a work day.

Before we moved to San Francisco, we lived in Laguna Beach for 5 years. That's a tough drive there also. Budget 5 hours for the trip. And rent a comfortable car.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Apr 6th, 2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nick’s Cove in Marshall on Tomales Bay. I haven’t stayed, but want to.

https://nickscove.com
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Even with the new info that drive would be daunting. I'd maybe consider only staying two nights on the Marin or Sonoma coast and one night somewhere midway down to Pismo. -- you could go down 101 and then hwy 17 and visit Henry Cowell redwoods SP and stay the night in/near Scott's Valley - then back over to 101 and down to Pismo.

Scots Valley would be almost exactly the half way point so the drives would be MUCH easier/more manageable and the redwood park is fabulous.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 09:48 AM

If you want an "all ocean" vacation - stay in Santa Cruz or Capitola between SF & Pismo Beach.

Stu Dudley