Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Late October destination - - warm & relaxing but something a bit more interesting than the Caribbean

Search

Late October destination - - warm & relaxing but something a bit more interesting than the Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:38 AM
jane

Leaving from NYC - want to go somewhere for our 2 year anniversary. Went to Hawaii for our honeymoon which was great because there was lots to do.

I am worried that we might go stir crazy in the Caribbean if there is nothing else to do but sit in the sun. Also, I would like to avoid the hurricane season so I am not sure if the Caribbean is the best place to go in late October/early November.

Any ideas?

thanks

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 08:59 AM
sandi

Help us out Jane w/ a little more info...

Want small town, New england, middle og the woods, big city, near the water, Pacific NW...what?

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:54 AM
suzanne

Fly into Vegas (always cheap) and drive out to Zion National Park for some hiking and beautiful scenery. The temp in Zion in late October should be around 75-80.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 02:31 PM
x

Although caribbean is risky during hurricane season, there is a lot more to do than sit out in the sun. Look into something like st martin - cities, belize for nature, or yucutan of mexico for some culture.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM
x

Florida - Tampa/st pete area might be interesting for you, or Miami area.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 04:25 PM
debbie

Jane, what about Europe? My husband and I have been to several islands in the Caribbean, and have decided we will go to Europe again should we want "beachy". Much more "interesting", safe and cultured to us.

I don't know how much you want to spend or how much time you have, but why not do the Amalfi Coast or Cote d'Azur?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Shelby

Try Central America - fly into Belize and take Tropic Air to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye area - absolutely beautiful! Great diving, snorkeling, food, scenery.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:04 PM
x

as wonderful as belize is...it's still in the path of potential hurricanes in october.
go to coronado island outside of san san diego. beautiful beach but lots of other things to see & do. could take a couple days and go to palm springs with a day in joshua tree national park.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:42 PM
jane

Thanks, guys. We're going to take a close look at St. Martin. And sorry about the vague request for info. Sometimes I type before I think.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Dan

I'm thinking New Orleans would be great. Fun, lots to do and great weather then. No beaches, but if you did want beaches you could easily drive over to the Florida panhandle.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:56 PM
kam

How about Cancun and the Mayan Riviera---that is Playa del Carmen. Pretty area of Mexico with good hotels and great food. Lots of history in the area surrounding.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:37 PM
debbie

What about Costa Rica? I really loved it...saw an active volcano....Manuel Antonio Park down near Quepos...Monteverde cloud forest...

Beautiful place. I will definately go back.
Debbie

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Allyson

NEW ORLEANS is perfect in October!!! The weather is wonderful, and if you wanted a beach, you can take a short drive to Lake Pontchatrain, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, or the FL panhandle area.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:42 PM
carol

Hello Jane,
If you have a few dollars to spare Europe is a great place to visit If you enjoy culture try Paris-very romantic.Or head for Portugal,Greece,Turkey for the weather.I can highly recommend IRELAND BUT THE WEATHER WILL BE MOSTLY WET!Enjoy your anniversary wherever you go.HAPPY DAYS...

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:19 PM
freewoman

Check out go-today.com

You can fly to London from New York, Boston, or Newark for six nights including breakfast for $379 if you go before December 15th. Incredible price.