Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Late night sushi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/late-night-sushi-373791/)

nancy1234 Nov 4th, 2003 08:19 AM

Late night sushi?

Can anyone recommend the best place for sushi after the show? We'd love to go to Nobu but I heard the last seating is at 10:30.

Loki Nov 4th, 2003 09:04 AM

I'd go to Blue Ribbon. Others will sweear by Gari or Tomoe, either way you can't go wrong. I wouldn't recommend Nobu for sushi, while it's good, the Omakase is the real value of Nobu. There's better sushi in NYC.

nancy1234 Nov 4th, 2003 10:11 AM

I just checked online for reviews and Blue Ribbon sounds perfect. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for the tip -

tmr_nyc Nov 5th, 2003 01:46 AM

I live in Manhattan and eat sushi all the time (twice-three times/week) and i've been to Blue Ribbon and think it is totally over-rated, over-priced and not exciting at all. Goto Bond Street or Sushi Samba for interesting GREAT sushi - you will pay a little more, but they are both so worth it and blow Blue Ribbon away IMO.

missjanna Nov 5th, 2003 06:00 AM

I second the Sushi Samba nomination. A group of us went from work and it was the best most of us have had in NYC.

It's on Park Avenue South, around 19th Street.

GoTravel Nov 5th, 2003 07:26 AM

Chalk me up as another person on the Blue Ribbon Bakery band wagon.

LancaRican Nov 5th, 2003 01:07 PM

My vote also goes to Sushi Samba. Great drinks too. You will need reservations. I like the one in Park Ave South better than the one in Seventh Ave.

nancy1234 Nov 5th, 2003 02:03 PM

Is Sushi Samba fusion-type sushi? I just tried a place in CA that had something called a Sexy Handroll, and it had corn flakes in it. And it was actually delicious!!??!

tmr_nyc Nov 6th, 2003 02:44 PM

I also think you should make reservations incase, even if you go late - i think they are open until 2 am on weekends. I also agree that the one on Park Avenue South is better than the 7th ave. one (they also have one in Miami that I have been to). Drinks are great there too! It is latin infusion, but i can't really describe it, because it is so much better than it sounds - they don't put cornflakes in it though! Get spicy tuna and eel rolls there, they are very good. if you want regular, plain sushi in a plain atmosphere, go to Blue Ribbon - i am not a fan, but people do love it...but if you want great drinks, a great atmosphere, great sushi and want to try sushi with a twist go to sushi samba.

wantsomesun Nov 6th, 2003 08:45 PM

There is a small but GREAT sushi place on Lex and 30th St. called Mishima, it is full most of the time, but after a show you should be able to get in. I live here too eat sushi all the time, Mishima is the best I have ever had.

Have fun while you are here.

nancy1234 Nov 7th, 2003 02:44 PM

Reading about these great sushi places really makes me want to extend my stay. I envy all of you who live in NYC (and not just for the sushi). I guess I'll just have to come back again -- Sushi Samba sounds like the one I'll try on this trip, since it sounds like it's quite an experience. Should I make reservations even for an 11:30 p.m. seating???