Late July tour of the South by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing some last-minute planning for a trip to the South during the last week in July and first week in August. I'd like to fly to Atlanta, rent a car, then visit Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, possibly Colonial Williamsburg, Washington DC, then back to New York. Three questions: 1) Am I crazy to do this at this time of year because of the hot and humid weather? 2) Any stops I should make in addition to or in lieu of the proposed itinerary, and 3) Any suggestions for mid-priced ($125-$175/night) places to stay in any of these cities? Many thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:52 AM

No, you are not crazy - even though it will be hot. I'd suggest you spend at least 2 nights in each location so you won't feel like all you are doing in driving. I'd probably add in a stop in Asheville NC so you can enjoy a mountain locale (and cooler weather). I would add a day at a beach too.

Be sure to stay in the historic district in Savannah and Charleston. Plenty of suggestions on this board for particular hotels. One poster just shared a trip report and no matter how gently we tried to direct her to the historic district in Savannah, she chose a location several miles out of town. With limited time, stay in the middle of things. You can easily find hotels in your price range. Have a blast!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Dear kurtchan - I just recently made reservations at the Meeting Street Inn the last week of July for $99.00/night. It is right in the heart of the historic district of Charleston....right across the street from the Peninsula Grille...lots of atmosphere.
If you save money there, you can splurge on the Inn at the Biltmore...the one on the property. It is awesome!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Sounds like fun to me. I like the addition of Asheville - I just can't figure out a way to do it without adding significant drive time.

And don't skimp on the rental car. You'll want good A/C and that can be tough to find in a 4-cylinder economy model. A V-6 engine will keep you a lot cooler. Of course the trade off is gas mileage.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM

For a road trip, I think Asheville works in really well. It's a straight shot up 26 from Charleston.

kurtchan, if you DO add Asheville (and I definitely would) I'd hop on and off the Blue Ridge Parkway some of the time as you head up to Virginia. You won't make great time since the speed limit is 45 mph, but the scenery is fabulous and it's an amazing drive. You can just do certain sections and then head over to an interstate if you need to "make time". Skyline Drive is further west than you are planning to be in Virginia, but it is a beautiful drive as well. It ends at Front Royal and that area of VA is beautiful. Maybe a B&B in Middleburg or similar and then scoot on over to DC.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM

I would really delay the trip until the fall if you can. We have been to Williamsburgh a couple of times in the summer as well as DC. Both times in Williamsburgh the temps were in the high 90's with very high hunidity - completely unbearable. We missed seeing several tings we wanted to because you couldn;t stay outdoors for more than about 20 minutes or so (at one point they actually called an ambulance for a woman with heat stroke).

DC was little better - but because most of what you want to see in indoors you suffer less. (We simply cabbed from place to place - sweating and panting - until we could get back into an AC buidling.)

These places make NYC in the middle of August - when the heat shimmers off the pavements and the macadam starts to melt - look like a picnic. I can;t imagine how hot it would be even further south.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM

You tolerate the heat by pacing yourself and planning ahead to be inside and/or inactive during the hottest part of the day (usually noon or 1:00 until about 4 or 5). This is a reason we spend time lingering over a late lunch and then doze by the pool or read a good book under a ceiling fan!! Of course, it is also a socially pleasant thing to do, too!! Early morning and late afternoon, evening is great to be out and about and if you have had a late lunch, supper can be late, too! You just slow down and take things as they come....don't get in a hurry and enjoy the South!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Is it a one-way car rental? If so Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, Richmond, Williamsburg, DC, NYC would work. And to make the trip even longer, I'd suggest from Williamsburg, take the Cheasapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel over to the eastern shore and approach DC from that direction. I don't have a map in front of me, so I'm not sure if you can make it to DC without going through Baltimore area first.

If you have to get back to Atlanta airport, I'd drop everything after Asheville in the plan above.

Hot, humid, hazy, hideous weather is to be expected. Do everything EARLY in the day.

Naps are a wonderful thing.