Late february 4 nights in south Florida

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late february 4 nights in south Florida

We will be in Orlando mid February at disney and then plan on spending a few days in south FL.
Looking for a good beach with warm water that time of the year. Open to vacation rental home (with private pool) or a nice hotel.
We have 2 kids - 4 and 8 years old. Clearwater would have been a great option but looks like water will be cold in feb.
Thinking between Sanibel/Captiva or Miami (family friendly hotel). Open for any other options as well.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friends in Miami said people have not been good about following Covid guidelines there so you might want to consider that.
Sanibel and Captiva are lovely. Also look into Siesta Key.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Nah, not Miami.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schmerl
My friends in Miami said people have not been good about following Covid guidelines there so you might want to consider that.
Sanibel and Captiva are lovely. Also look into Siesta Key.
Thanks schmerl. Will the Sanibel/ Captiva or Siesta key water be warm enough in February ?

Old Jan 24th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Deleted my text but can't actually get the post to delete.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 05:27 PM

If you are used to swimming in New England inJune, then you will find the water near Sanibel lovely. They tend to heat the pools so I do not really find them refreshing, but very comfortable for swimming. The kids will have fun collecting shells so make sure they are all dead and devoid of the remains of the living before they go into the suitcase for the trip home.

Check the covid rules in your home state about the need to quarantine when you go home.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 06:03 AM

A post from Google Why would you go now?
Much of the larger resort is still closed, and only a fraction of normal capacity is able to visit
Disney World on any given day. 2021 is going to be a year that sees Disney World try to get back to normal. It will see more of the resort finally reopen, but we'll also see a few brand-new additions as well
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 06:02 PM

Mask-wearing is fine in Miami Beach

If you are coming to Florida before St. Patrick’s Day and expect your kids to swim in the ocean, head as far south as you can. I was in Vero Beach on March 31 and my realtor was wearing a cable knit turtleneck sweater. That convinced me to become a snowbird in Miami Beach, not any farther north. Florida has no Covid restrictions any longer, tho businesses can (and do) ask everyone to wear masks. People comply very well, generally. In Miami Beach, I am surprised at the number of people who do wear masks outside, while strolling, etc. Nobody really wears them on the beach anywhere in Florida.

If you have kids and all you’re doing is touring around and going to the beach, Miami Beach and anywhere in Florida will not be Covid-risky for you. If you are younger and you are coming to do a lot of nighttime partying, you are going to be at risk everywhere in Florida because there are no masks at parties and clubs. In fact, parties aside, we have seen pix of people young and old boozing it up and packed into regular old bars and restaurants in Sarasota, Delray, Tampa, everywhere. Just choose not to go to huge parties and stay out of bars. And if you have college-age kids, let them know that the spring break party is over in Miami Beach. We are not interested in hosting that anymore ever!

Miami Beach is stunningly gorgeous and there is lots to do. Besides the beach, your kids would enjoy the Seaquarium and Zoo Miami. My little grandkids LOVE the Frost Science Museum in downtown Miami, and so do we.

For family-friendly Miami Beach hotels, try the Marriott Stanton South Beach, Loews, the Cadillac, just about anything right on the beach. The Betsy is on Ocean Drive just across the park from the beach.

[QUOTE=Gsingh;17205497]We will be in Orlando mid February at disney and then plan on spending a few days in south FL.
Looking for a good beach with warm water that time of the year. Open to vacation rental home (with private pool) or a nice hotel.
We have 2 kids - 4 and 8 years old. Clearwater would have been a great option but looks like water will be cold in feb.
Thinking between Sanibel/Captiva or Miami (family friendly hotel). Open for any other options as well.

Looking for s
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Florida is not following any CDC guidelines. It is a free for all. I double mask now when going to grocery store. I would not even think about eating out. Even Key West water is a bit cold right now. Desantis acts like all is well for the tourist dollar. It is far from well.