Late August 2007 Washington, DC Hotel Help for 1st Timers Used to WDW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! (Sorry for the first post not having the city in the title...)
Yes, we are planning ahead so we can get plenty of information to make our decision. We (I'll be with my husband and 11 year old son) plan on staying a week and will probably arrive via Amtrak, so we won't have a vehicle with us. We realize it will be hot, but we've done WDW many times during that week and survived.
As for the budget, I'd like to stay in the $300-400 a night range if possible. It could be a little higher if need be. When at WDW, we like the convenience of their monorail system and being able to walk to some places if you are staying nearby. We have stayed at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Polynesian, Boardwalk Inn, and Yacht/Beach Clubs if you are familiar with any of those...
We are interested in the monuments, Mt. Vernon, the Spy Museum, Natural Museum of History, the American Indian Museum, Arlington Cemetery, etc. With only 3 of us it probably is impossible to get a White House tour, unless you have any suggestions...
So, knowing all of that, where do you suggest we stay? If you need any other information, let me know. Thanks!

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM

DC has an excellent public transportation system. Two good areas for a family are the Foggy Bottom neighborhood (near Georgetown area and the Watergate walking distance to western end of the mall) or the zoo area (Marriott Wardman or Omni hotels, or neighborhood BnBs) which seems cooler and greener than the rest of the city.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Check out this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34903955

bardo1's post is particularly helpful.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM
kdappleton

I work part time at the Smithsonian. If you want easy access to both the Metro and to the Mall (which includes many many monuments, museums, and the Capitol, you might want to look at the L'enfant Hotel. It's across the street from the Smithsonian castle and a metro stop is in the complex. Friends of mine with two pre-teens just came back from Thanksgiving weekend there for $166 a night. You might want to look at travelocity.com, expedia.com and my favorite, kayak.com. You should call your representative or senator's office and ask about arranged tours for the Capitol, Supreme Court, U.S. Printing Office (next to Washington Monument, millions of dollars printed in front of you), and perhaps tho I doubt it, the White House. Don't forget to go to Arlington Cemetery (on the Metro), and Mount Vernon has a new visitors center and there's a tourist bus that will take you there. Don't delay calling rep or sen too long. August is popular month and they only have a certain number of spots each is allocated. An eleven year old would probably love the newly opened American Art/National Portrait Gallery directly across from Spy Museum. Presidential portrait gallery is wonderful as is the renovation which makes the building a work of art in itself. Great places to eat: Old Ebbits, Clyde's on 7th Street upstairs, and D.C. Chop House, also on 7th. Hope you have as good a time as I think you will.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
kdappleton

Just had another thought. If you go to www.nps.gov (which is National Park Service), you can order timed tickets to Washington Monument. I think there's a service fee of $2.50 per ticket. If you don't do this, chances are you won't get to enter. Most tickets either sold months ahead or gone in first ten minutes it opens for that day.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
wow

Disneydebk: Yes, definitely repost w/ Washington DC in your title. Your screen name combined w/ WDW in your title leads us to think that you are asking about WDW. I know what you mean, but it is a little confusing to be talking about WDW & The White House Tour in the same sentence! The other thing you may want to do is a quick Search on this forum. Just type in Hotels & click on Washington DC. You will also get very good info by clicking on "Destinations" on the Main Menu here. Good luck & I hope you find what you are looking for. We stay @ The Boardwalk so I know what you are looking for....just can't help w/ Washington DC!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:07 PM
wow

OOPS! I posted this on your second post by mistake! See how confused I am!! LOL
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Actually late August is a great time to go to DC because Congress is out of session so everything is less crowded. It will most likely be hot and humid though.
I recommend staying in Virginia. The Arlington area is nice and you can get a hotel much cheaper than in the actual DC area. It's right outside of DC south of the Pentagon. You can easily stay in a nice hotel for under $200 a night. There are tons of hotels around and just about every hotel chain out there. It will be less crowded at the hotels because Congress is not in session.
Don't bother renting a car because it's very hard to find a parking space and most have to be meter fed every 2 to 3 hours so you'll be running back to check on the car. There are no public parking garages or areas. It is all solely street parking. Their subway system is very good, clean and on a good schedule. There are also taxis and you can even do a bus or trolley tour that allows you to buy a day pass and get on and off when you want.
Definitely go see Arlington Cemetary and the Iwo Jima memorial. On (I believe) Tuesdays at 6pm they have the Marines come out and do a drill and you can hear their marching band play. Those were my son's very favorites on our trip. It is well worth the money to buy the tram pass to ride at Arlington because it is huge and just to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a good 1/2 mile walk.
The museums are all wonderful but very time consuming. No matter how long your stay, it's impossible to see it all.
As for White House and Capital tours - contact your local Senate and House representatives. Contact more than one because one may get you into one thing and another into something else. They need to be contacted a minimum of 3 months in advance but earlier is better.
The White House tour is self guided and you cannot take anything at all in with you - no cameras, video recorders or even a purse or fanny pack. Men can have wallets and that is it. Security is very tight. You only see a few rooms but it's well worth it to see.
The Capital tour is nice and has a gift shop area. If you go through one of your representatives they will have you meet at their office and they will take you through on a guided tour. You can take cameras and such but when you go to enter the Senate or House rooms you have to check everything behind a security desk and then claim it when you come out. They allow nothing in those two rooms.
Plan on carrying as little as possible because every building you enter will have a security check. You will never feel safer anywhere else on earth!
The Spy Museum is a great place to visit but is another very time consuming place. There is so much to look at and read that you can easily spend 4 or 5 hours there.
Another thing you will want to do is see the National Cathedral. Churches might not be your idea of a tourism spot but believe me it's worth seeing. It's free although they ask for a donation and there are tours available.
If you do rent a car, it's fun to drive down the streets where the embasies are just to see how very different all of the homes are as many of them represent their home countries.
The American Indian museum is very nice and if you go make sure you eat in their cafeteria because it has some very good native foods to try.
Most important of all - pack some very comfortable shoes and plan on lots and lots of walking.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I'll throw out another recommendation. I really like the Sofitel in Lafayette Sq. It's within walking distance of the White House, the Monuments and the Spy Museum. It's also very close to 2 metro stops. I stayed there for 6 weeks while working on a project, the service is outstanding with very comfortable beds and well-appointed rooms.

The other option I would recommend is the Dupont Circle area. Close to the metro stop with lots to do at night. The Washington Hilton may work for you as it has an outdoor pool.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM

I'd still like to know what WDW stands for.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM

The Hay Adams is a beautiful hotel and has the most comfortable beds ever! It's located right across from the White House and within walking distance to the museums/monuments.

www.hayadams.com

Jenny
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions so far! Underhill, WDW is Walt Disney World....
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM

For families I recommend Embassy Suites because the adults have a bit more privacy. There is one located in Bethesda or Chevy Chase (Maryland) right above a Metro stop. It may seem a bit far out but Metro will quickly take you to all the sites and there are plenty of restaurants in that area as well.

There is another Embassy Suites in Crystal City, VA, but that areas is not as interesting.

Please note that, wherever you stay, you will do a lot of walking. There is no hotel that is close to everything because everything is very spread out. Use Metro to get to your first site of the day. To do The Mall, use the Tourmobile.

Arlington Cemetery requires at least 4 hours. Leave the Tourmobile at Arlington for a separate day by itself.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM

MargeSz, very informative response but I doubt they will be able to find a nice hotel for under $200 a night.
If they are used to hotels in the 300-400 dollar range in WDW, they will be very disappointed in what they get for 200 in Arlington.
I personally like the Mandarin Oriental... but it will probably bust the bank. Great, great hotel!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM

we've stayed at the l'enfant plaza hotel; had a lovely suite, internet special, metro in complex as someone mentioned previously and we could walk to many things.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites on 22nd and M and really liked it for our family. The rooms are quite spacious with free breakfast and an indoor pool. The only downside was a 4-5 block walk to the Dupont Circle or Foggy Bottom metro stations but the walk was pleasant. I've heard the L'enfant Plaza area doesn't have many restaurants nearby.

I'd highly second the suggestions to check with your senator or representative's office for tours. We loved the Capital tour given by our Senator's office. I hope you'll have luck getting a White House tour.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:24 AM

debk,

As mentioned, August is "sort of" a low season for DC. There are virtually no business travellers here but still plenty of tourists. As a result, hotel rates are somewhat lower than usual.

Some hotels I would look at are Hilton Embassy Row, Hotel Monaco, The Willard, and the Hay Adams. All are convenient for your plans and at least one of them (maybe all 4) should be within your budget during August. Call all of them and see who gives you the best room/best deal.

The Hilton Embassy Row and the Hotel Monaco are in neighborhoods that have more going on in the evenings. The immediate areas of The Willard and (especially) the Hay Adams are quieter at night but that seems to have no effect on guests at those two hotels as they always seem to have a personal driver or at least seem happy to spend for a taxi to go three blocks.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:55 AM

The last week of August (ending at Labor Day) is dead in downtown Washington. Congress and convention business are absent, but so are families because that is back-to-school time for most. With a budget of $300, you could probably have your pick of the best hotels for that week. They usually offer very attractive packages.
Take your time looking but select something in the middle of the action (metro center or Dupont Circle), and walk or take Metro for all the sights. You'll have easy access to all that makes Washington wonderful, including in the evenings after the museums are closed.
Why not do some browsing and see what's offered, then come back here with specific questions about those that interest you?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I also recommend the Embassy Suites in the Dupont Circle area (22nd and M). You will have a seperate bedroom from the "living" area which has a pull out couch for your son. Much more pleasant than a single hotel room. I didn't find the walk to the metro to be a problem. We spent all day walking, so this didn't add much.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow!
You folks are a great help. I checked out the suggestions made by bardo1 and liked them, except for the Hay Adams somehow just didn't click for me, although it looks very nice. The Sofitel Lafayette looked nice, and I also saw the Renaissance Mayflower as another possibility. We probably wouldn't be out too late on any given evening unless we do the monuments at night. I never have this much difficulty when picking a WDW resort, LOL! Of course, there are only 20 something hotels there....
Any input on those hotels mentioned would be appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -