Last minute travel sites and South Beach Hotel advice

Old Oct 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
No bites in the lounge, I'll try here.

I've already trolled a few ancient threads here and the info. is somewhat outdated. I've googled a few sites that seem to be a major production and/or are bait and switch. I also don't want to use one of those bid companies where you don't know which hotel it is.
Don't know if I'm going or not but if I can find an el cheapo deal flight/hotel in somewhere like South beach for a weekend I may be able convince DH to spend the money that we don't have.

Anyone know of a clean and convenient to beach/ rest./shops low endish hotel in SB? Don't worry too much about the cost as I'll try to see if I can match it in one of the last minute trips. I'm thinking that a 3 star might fit the bill. If you know of a 4 star that is giving themselves away, I'll certainly be all ears, though.
Just point me in the right direction and I'll research from there.
Thanks ahead.
2 Replies | Jump to last reply
| Add a Reply Flag this topic

__________________________________________________ ____________________
Dayenu on Oct 31, 09 at 1:59pm

When are you going? Clinton has internet special 60, 45 and 30 days prepaid.

SB - you mean Miami, right? There must be some info on the US forum - I've been getting advices. We'll be there Jan 6-10.
__________________________________________________ __________________
cybor on Oct 31, 09 at 2:09pm

Hi Fi,
I'll check the Clinton. I checked the US forum and didn't see much info. on SoBe - yes South Beach Florida.
I'd love to go very soon before the weather cools. I was down there a few years ago around Xmas and it was cold and windy. We rented a condo further up the beach. Forgot, is Collins the one that runs the strip in SoBe and then it turns to Ocean Ave. further north? I can't tell on those itty bitty maps.
If this gets delayed I'll definitely give you a shout cause I know I'd get into all kinds of good trouble with you around.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Anyone home?
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
lvk

Have you tried:

www.travelzoo.com,
www.quikbook.com

Sorry, no specific hotel recommendations, as we stay with family there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ivk,
Hadn't heard of quikbook
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
cybor, check the rates at the Park Central. It's been a few years since I stayed there, but the location was great, the rooms were nice and they were within my corporate budget limits. We tacked on several getaways when I was traveling that area a lot -
http://www.theparkcentral.com/about.htm
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM

"I can't tell on those itty bitty maps."

I'll share my trick. I Google a map, either address or town, click on "print" and cancel. Now I have a larger map to play with. I can move it up, down, sideways. I can enlarge it to see what is close, or decrease to see in which area a hotel or a museum is located.

As for Quikbook - easy to use, helped me with a hotel in Chicago some time ago - meaning: dependable, legit.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM

We've stayed within the last 5 or 10 years at the Park Central, the Delano, and the National. Oh, and I think the Edison about 18 years ago. I agree with the Park Central recommendation. It's cool, it's got a pool, and the beach is across the street. The National is very nice if you can get a decent rate. On the beach, long long pool. Hammocks. The Delano is very cool, too expensive. But you don't have to stay there to enjoy the Delano. Splurge on a mojito and a game of pool. SB is really fun. Rooms in the back off the street will be quieter. Good luck!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM

Doubletree Surfcomber... 1717 Collins... check the website...