Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Last Minute Lodging New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/last-minute-lodging-new-york-city-469390/)

knuk Aug 23rd, 2004 04:22 PM

Last Minute Lodging New York City

Hi Everyone,
We are planning to go to New York City for a weeks visit around Sept 11-19, and are looking for an AFFORDABLE, clean, hotel for our stay. It is out first visit to the Big Apple and we usually prefer to stay close to popular activities, attractions and near the local "action". We figure near the midtown area might be best. Any suggestions?
Thanks

nytraveler Aug 23rd, 2004 04:34 PM

If you could define affordable - $100, $200, $300? - and tell us how many of you there are we can help. (If there are 2 of you Priceline is probably your best bet.)

ducks53 Aug 23rd, 2004 05:10 PM

There is a comfort or quality inn--cannot recall--on W71st off Central Park. Its really reasonable and in a great neighborhood; right near central park, 2 subway lines, several bus routes both cross town and up/downtown.

tracys2cents Aug 23rd, 2004 08:38 PM

Comfort Inn Midtown is oft-recommended, or if you don't mind "European Style" accomodation, check out the Broadway Inn. Read the reviews on tripadvisor.com

Be aware that in NYC, "affordable" usually means very-small rooms.

MFNYC Aug 24th, 2004 06:56 AM

Popular activities, attractions and local "action" are in many different neighborhoods but with the subway system, it's pretty quick and easy to get around. Midtown West is the times sq/theater area is where many visitors choose to stay, athough I find it congested and noisy. There are many other good areas including midtown south, midtown east (but not too far east), central Park west and the village/union sq area. I think priceline is your best source of good hotel rates, check biddingfortravel.com. Also, call and check website of hotels directly. Hotel website frequently offer specials and in offer better prices then most booking sites.

mclaurie Aug 24th, 2004 11:48 AM

Try looking on quikbook.com for availability. Doublecheck reviews on tripadvisor.com before commiting! Best deal is Priceline but you must read biddingfortravel.com carefully. A good bet is bidding for 2.5 star in midtown east which usually gets the Courtyard East side for about $75/night but don't try if you're more than 2 in a room.

Other places to check

Applecorehotels.com (own the Comfort Inn midtown)
The Avalon
The Metro
The Beacon

Good luck!

knuk Aug 24th, 2004 12:37 PM

Thanks for the Tips guys, We are a young couple looking for around $100 per night... (our canadian dollar does not go as far as those american bucks). We have been trying Priceline and biddingfortravel, no success yet atil trying, thought maybe somebody might know a "hidden treasure" to sguggest. Thanks again we will press on.

MikeT Aug 24th, 2004 12:40 PM

There are few $100 hidden treasures in NYC. Unless you can find something on Priceline, $100 may not even get you your own bathroom.

mclaurie Aug 24th, 2004 01:34 PM

you won't find midtown without PL for that price but you may find another area that would still be "near the local action". There are some places downtown that would be near the South Street Seaport, the Staten Island Ferry, Wall St. etc. There are also some places on the upper west side which would be near the Natural History Museum and easy commute to midtown. Check the Beacon, On the Avenue and the Milburn.

antlori Aug 24th, 2004 03:13 PM

knuk, I have been very successful in getting the Millennium Times Square for $100 on Priceline. Location is very convenient to the theatres and the TKTS booth if you're interested in going to the shows. The hotel is medium luxury, king beds, fairly large rooms, modern bathrooms. The last time (I think it was March of this year) I didn't think I would get it. Kept trying and trying, and finally a few days before we left I got it. Best to have a backup though, just in case.

Margie Aug 25th, 2004 03:12 AM

This is just a thought, but maybe you're not having a lot of luck with Priceline because you are trying for 8 nights? If you don't mind the inconvenience of moving, maybe you should try 2 separate bids.

I plugged your dates into quikbook.com and the Carlton on Madison (29th street, midtown south area) is coming up for $139, not bad but the additional hotel taxes in NYC are steep. TheReservationCompany.com has the Wellington at 55th Street & 7 ave (not at all fancy, but good location and clean) for $1141 for 8 nights including taxes. And there is the Comfort Inn Manhattan on 35th Street for $1110 for 8 nights including taxes, this rate was on placestostay.com

Whatever hotel you look at, be sure to go to tripadvisor.com to look at reviews of the hotel, written by fellow travelers.

MFNYC Aug 25th, 2004 08:15 AM

I agree with MikeT and would also give Margie's suggested of bidding 4 nights at a time. You may alrady be doing this but when you do priceline, do one area at a time, and as you have to up your price, you add an area and/or change star values. If you put in several areas at once, you're limiting your re-bid options (area and/or star value must change to rebid).

cspeed Aug 26th, 2004 08:33 AM

Have you checked out hotwire? They have been a great backup to priceline for me. I had no luck w/priceline but got the Holiday Inn Midtown for $75--$100 after taxes etc through Hotwire.

Sharion Aug 26th, 2004 08:55 AM

Ramada Inn East side !! Usually around 90-100 $/night, in residental neighbourhood on 30th st/Lexington and the rooms are in good condition. Free breakfast is also included. You can check the prices either at ramada.com or applecorehotels.com. I stayed there in June and liked it a lot. A clean private bathroom and it's near the Empire S.B and Macy's.

Sharion Aug 26th, 2004 08:58 AM

I forgot to add that I do realize Ramada Inn is not in the midtown area, but you might want to check it out anyway.