Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Last Minute Cape Cod Help Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/last-minute-cape-cod-help-please-642785/)

dinksette Aug 29th, 2006 10:22 AM

Last Minute Cape Cod Help Please!

There are hotels available for one night in several locations on the Cape. I need recommendations -- best area to go and surrounding areas that would be near enough by so that we could drive and park and walk around. Here's what's available:
Inn on the Square and Admiraly Inn in Falmouth. A few places in S. Yarmouth and W. Yarmouth. Hyannis (I think that's too touristy). Bourne. West Barnstable. Yarmouth Port.

My husbd and I are going to spend Labor Day Weekend Sunday and Monday sightseeing and are only staying one night...Our ideal getaway would include a nice meal. Gorgeous views. Lighthouses, rocky rugged coast-lines, whale watching. quaint village. Can you recommend any hotel or area from above?

bostonguy Aug 29th, 2006 11:11 AM

I've stayed at the Admiralty Inn recently and I don't think it's what your looking for. Its an adequate hotel (clean, friendly staff)but a bit tired looking, though that may be reflected in the price. Also, it's located in a downtown area with no view except for a few strip malls.

milemarker0 Aug 29th, 2006 11:14 AM

You're not going to find rocky, rugged coastline on the Cape...it's basically a sandbar.

I can't comment on the Falmouth hotels, but the other areas you mention are all in the mid-cape area (except for Bourne) and are a bit more commercial, so you'll have to drive to some of the more "less touristy" areas...i.e the lower Cape/Outer Cape....Provincetown would be nice, but the traffic could be extremely heavy this weekend heading out there. What are some specific hotels you're looking at?

Melissa Aug 29th, 2006 11:54 AM

S.yarmouth/W.yarmouth/Hyannis/yarmouthport are all very close together...easy driving distance with West Barnstable (where I live) also close by. West Yarmouth is easily as touristy as Hyannis and perhaps more so (I used to live there).

I vote for yarmouthport amongst your choices...more of a "quaint village" although no rocky coast lines (go to Maine for that). Don't stay at the Colonial House Inn...a total dump. Perhaps one of the other B+Bs. The Old Yarmouth Inn has great food and a nice Sunday brunch (make reservations). I think whale watches may still leave out of Barnstable harbor...a few miles up 6A in Barnstable village.

Perhaps you should look into Chatham...more scenic, a nice "village" has lighthouses nearby and you could drive and explore the National Seashore.

tracys2cents Aug 29th, 2006 01:26 PM

It'll be hard to find something just for Sunday...they don't want to tell someone who shows up on Friday or Saturday that the room is already taken for Sunday...they'd rather sell three nights than just one. Plus, you're cutting it close.

PleasantBayVillage is a nice place to stay, though not on the water.