Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Last Minute advice from So. Maine down to Boston....THANKS!

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I leave for Boston next week and we have taken your advice and arrive in Manchester and go up to Kennebunkport, down through Portsmoth and then on to Boston. Any last minute advice, tours or dinner or lunch reservations that are a must? Thanks so much for making my anniversary so fun with all of your advice.

Mom leaving the 5 at home
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM

Mom who is leaving the 5 at home...
Have a wonderful anniversary!

In Boston...The Duck Tour is a great tour! Also, if you are not proned to seasickness, I hear from my son that the whale watching is a terrific experience. Stephanie's on Newbury Street is great for both lunch and dinner -- I suggest reservations. Head up to the Top of the Hub for some drinks, jazz, and a fabulous city view. Enjoy!

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:24 AM

York Harbor Inn in York Harbor, ME is lovely. Great place to stop for a drink or meal. Near the Nubble Light. In Kittery there are outlets for shopping - good bargains. Ordione State Park in Rye NH (just south of Portsmouth on Rt.1a is another great place to get out of the car and stretch your legs. Small museum, WWII bunkers and a rocky coast with views of several small light houses. Keep following 1a through Rye to see some lovely ocean views and pretty homes.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM

Heading south from Portsmouth to Boston, stop at Route 114 Middleton Westbound and go about two miles to RICHARDSON'S ICE CREAM! Can't visit New England without sampling as much fresh ice cream as possible!

Agree with the recommendation for dinner at York Harbor Inn.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:26 AM

In Kittery Point there's a great place by the water for lobster and steamers called Chauncy Creek, it's BYOB.

In Portsmouth there are a lot of options downtown. Jumpin Jay's Seafood Cafe, Pesce Blue, Lindbergh's Crossing and 43 North are all great dinner options. For something more casual, go to the "decks" right on the water and eat at Poco's or the Ferry Landing.

Just a note, Sat, June 11th is Market Square Day in downtown Portsmouth. It's a great all day festival with food, entertainment, etc. It does get very crowded so depending on what works for you, you might want to go to Portsmouth another day.

Good luck, you'll have a great time!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:42 AM

While the most direct route from Manchester to the coast is Rt 101, Rt 4 from Concord is much prettier and takes you through "Antique Alley" area of many shops in the Northwood NH area. Concord is only 15 minutes north of MHT (take Rt 293 to Rt 393). Should you decide to go that way, Rt 293 will take you along the west bank of the Merrimack River with a beautiful view of Manchester's old mills (now home to businesses and great restaurants). Rt 93 is the shortest, maybe easiest route north to Concord ... both converge just before the Hookset Toll Booth. The Manchester airport is between them off of Rt 101.
I hope you have time for a cruise out of Portsmouth. We loved the inland rivers cruise that goes up through Great Bay. Good narration about history and biology. The harbor cruise is good too. Park in the Portsmouth parking garage and walk to the dock on Ceres Street. If you take a morning cruise you can then walk someplace for lunch or drive thru Newcastle (great lobster rolls at the Ice House) and probably one of the prettiest and oldest towns in America. You'll go past Odiorne Park recommended by another poster. The mansions in Rye are very beautiful. It will be out of your way but worth it to find Flag Hill Winery in Lee NH. Yes! There are wineries in NH. Enjoy a tasting and choose a special bottle. They also make General John Stark Vodka but you can only buy it in the NH state liquor stores. It's made from apples and grain. Not an apple flavored vodka but there's a fragrance of apple. Wonderful transformation of the family's dairy farm instead of selling it to developers.
You are going to have a great time! After lousy wet, cold weather last week it has turned very warm but the trees are still a spring green. Very beautiful. Happy Anniversary.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:36 AM
mm

Just over the Mass border from NH you can hit Michael's in Newburyport for an excellent lobster roll on their deck overlooking the Merrimack River and the ocean. If on Sunday, they have live music on the deck.

The lobster rolls are on fresh bread, not a hot dog bun, and contain just lobster and a bit of mayo. Wow!

mm
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:03 AM

I'm just jumping in on this thread without a lot of information about what part of the country you live in, but if you don't take the roads along the coast, you'll be missing some of the nicest areas. Although there's no straight shot down the coast, a good map will show you where you can travel. Others have mentioned some great towns, but I'll add another vote for Newburyport -- one of my favorite places for great restaurants and walks along the harbor, continue down 1A and go through Ipswich, Essex, and on to Rockport and Gloucester. You could do a search here for information on those towns. As others mentioned, the Maine and NH coastline is spectacular. I'll be happy to give more particulars, if you'd like.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

As usual Fodorites you have not let me down. Wonderful suggestions. I find that when one of you suggest a restaurant it is great! I hate going to a place and they see your a tourist and the food is awful.

I would love any other particulars you would like to dole out. Anybody ate at Lucca's in the North End of Boston or Muddy's Smokehouse? (we love bar-b-que to) Also that yo for being so descrpt in your directions to these restaurants. I am going to check out this lobster roll thing you all love back there.

I have to sit down and get a map and choose which way to drive, there sre so many great suggestions here.

Thanks to you all!!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:13 PM

When in downtown Kennebunkport, check out Hurricane. There are three different menus: lunch, dinner, and bar. (Also a Happy Hour w/hors d'oerves on weekdays.) Also, drive out to the pier at Cape Porpoise and try either Pier 77 for fine dining, or The Ramp for a great local pub meal. (Same building.)

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:43 PM

Sadly, Hurricaine at Perkins Cove in Ogunquit has closed. The building was demolished over the winter and rebuilt, and somewhere along the way the change of ownership was announced. Word is the owners of Arrows (a sensational dining destination) will be opening a Bistro there this season.

Is the one in Kennebunkport still open for business?
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM

Yes...The Hurricane in Dock Square in Kennebunkport is alive and well and is a great place !

I would respectfully disagree with a previous poster suggesting Pier 77 in Cape Porpoise. It is not what it used to be when owned by Art and Angela LeBlanc...it was then called Seascapes.

Marion

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:56 AM

Sorry to disagree, Marion. Better not tell the rest of the locals it's not what it used to be - as it's always packed! Or maybe that's your "plan?"! I actually prefer Pier 77 much more than Seascapes.

Yes, DJK, I heard last January that the rent renewal was above what Hurricane was willing to commit, and Arrows is putting in a Bistro. That original location has just incredible views. But it's closing has not affected the Kennebunkport location, or their Port Bakery in Kennebunk at all. They seem busier than ever; people are willing to make the drive.