Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Last minute 36hrs in Salt Lake area..what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a last minute weekend stop-over in Utah this coming weekend. I've never been to the state so wondering what I should focus thats within driving distance from SLC/Provo. My schedule looks like this:

Sat. 3/10 - arrive in SLC at 11am, pick up car. No plans all day but have evening plans in Provo. Staying in Provo overnight.
Sun. 3/11 - free day. Returning car at 6pm.
Mon. 3/12 - 6am flight out

I am by myself and love to take beautiful photos as well as do some of the top-sights. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
SS
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have any interest in genealogy? If so, the best resource in the world for in-person research is the Family Search Library, on West Temple in the center of town facing the temple. It's worth a look even if you don't have a project, regardless of religion, if any.

https://www.familysearch.org/ask/loc...kecity-library
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you ever wished for a ski lesson? They have a group lesson starting at 1:30 PM at Alta. It's $70 for a 2 hour lesson. I don't know how much extra they charge for ski rental.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 01:54 PM

I'd get out of bed very early and drive 3 hours from Provo to Moab, spend the day in Arches and then drive back to return the car. I'm in love with the Moab area, so wouldn't mind the drive.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

I don't really want to go skiing by myself and definitely do not want to drive 3hrs each way..as much as I want to explore the great parks in Utah..that will need to be an actual trip focused on that one day. Is it worth to go to Park City without skiing? Or better to be in SLC?
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 09:51 AM

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/antelope-island/
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:09 PM

You have time to focus on SLC. Let's talk ideas, assuming you are not going to bring "snow clothes" and would rather walk around/hike, see things. It is supposed to be warm or maybe even raining this weekend.

Park City--cool high end shops on a cute main street with art galleries if you like that kind of thing. Could be interesting for photos.

Salt Lake City:
1. Utah Museum of Fine Art--on the U campus. See what the special exhibit is right now. It may still be art from the Museum of the Wild west (or whatever it is called in Cody, Wyo). That should be a great exhibit. Great gift shop
2. Museum of Natural History--U campus. Amazing dino exhibits, Ancestral Puebloan baskets, pots, sandals, etc., has a cool special exhibit right now. Great gift shop. The building itself is amazing.
3. Red Butte Garden Arboretum --some bulbs coming out now, could walk some of the trails--check out their web site. Might make for some interesting photos
4. Clark Planetarium--downtown has some interesting exhibits
5. City Creek Canyon/Memory Grove--walk from downtown, fun for pictures, nice walk.
Check out the SLC visitors bureau website for more ideas. Lots of good places for lunch.