Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Last Min Questions about Arizona Trip - Leaving this Friday. Pls Help!

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be leaving this Friday for Phoenix and we'll be in Canyon de Chelly for one night. Have a few questions:

How long do you think the drive is from Sedona to Canyon de Chelly? A guesstimate would be good. What's the time difference between Ariona and Navajo land? Is there a difference right now? (Is that a silly question?). Who's ahead and who's behind?

Re hotel, we have reservations for Thunderbird lodge but I don't particulary remember it to be really anything spectacular and I can't remember why we chose Thunderbird last time we were there. (it's been a few years). Is the BW that much farther out than Thuderbird to the canyon itself? We have BW membvership cards and wouldn't mind getting more points. Also, someone mentioned that BW did private tours. Does anyone know the price for a half day tour for 2 people? We were planning on the half day tour with Thunderbird Lodge for $45 each but they mentioned that these tours were on the "shake and bake" topless jeeps and the ones with BW are on proper jeeps so much nicer.

We neet to be at Monument by 5pm to meet our overnight tour guides (we're camping in the canyon with the navajo indian guides!!!). Does anyone know how long of a drive that is (CdeC to Mon Valley) and also Mon Valley to Lake Powell? Is there a time difference again? If so, who's ahead and who's behind? I get so turned around with time zones so much help is appreciated.

Last, we wanted to get groceries before heading out to Sedona (in Phoenix) on our first day. Does anyone know of a grocery store type place, maybe even farmer's market type place where we can get some snacks, fruit, coffee and have a good beer, wine, cheese selection?

Thanks so much!

Maria M
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Maria,
Drive time from Sedona to Canyon de Chelly should be about 3.5 hours. The Navajo nation is on daylight savings time, Phoenix is not. It will be 1 hour earlier in Phoenix than on res.

Arizona is not on daylight savings time, Utah is...so there will be the same time difference as in Canyon de Chelly.

Not sure about your grocery question...there are tons of places to get food in Phoenix. If you see Whole Food, Wild Oats, Sunflower stores...they are all really good and have higher qulaity produce {sunflower has really good prices}. Lots of other chain stores too.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DebitNM! I did search for whole foods because we have them here to and I do like the quality of things they have and I did find one enroute to Sedona (in Tempe). Thanks also for the information about the time differences. I get sooo confused but your explanation helps!

Anyone have an idea about the Canyon De Chelly hotel and tour?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:59 PM

If you will be in Tempe, try Sunflower Market. It is every bit as good as whole foods at quite a bit less $$.

www.sfmarkets.com

Tempe [map on website and circular w/ weekly specials. Their produce is to die for...good deals on "adult beverages" too and

1706 E. Southern Ave.
Tempe, AZ 85282-5613

Store Hours: Monday-Sunday 8:00AM - 10:00PM

Phone: 480.820.4900

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Debi, your fantastic! Thanks! I will check out where it is and if it'c close enough to the freeway, we'll go there!

Maria
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:47 PM

I think that the "someone" would be me. I stayed at the BW in Chinle and was not looking forward to parking at the Thunderbird to get a tour. There was a lot of talk about car break-ins at the Thunderbird. I think it is about 3 miles between the two, which is neglible to me. When we checked into the BW, the girl at the front desk said she could set up a tour for us. The 3 hour tour for 2 of us was $15 more than the "shake and bake" tour out of the Thunderbird. We were soooo glad we went with the private tour. Check my trip report for more info.

Chinle is on the Navajo nation so it is a hour different from Phoenix. Utah does not use Daylight Saving Time, but the Navajo nation does. So, when we arrived, it was an hour later than we thought it was. The restaurant at the BW stayed open for us so we could eat that night.

The BW has just undergone a renovation and we were VERY pleased with the room. I would definitely recommend the BW.

Mapquest times were spot on so use them for driving estimates.

We shopped at Basha's supermarkets and like them. I especially liked the prickly pear vodka that we bought to bring home
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34849602

CdeC notes are in orange.

Monument Valley notes - the drive from Lake Powel via Kayente to Chinle is the post before it.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Okay, I'll do it.

Sedona to Chinle (Canyon de Chelly) - 241 miles, 4 hour drive time, but you are going from "Utah" to "Indian" time. So, if you leave at noon, you will be getting there at 5 instead of 4.

Chinle to Kayente (Monument Valley) - Kayenta may or may not be where your tour is leaving from - Mapquest says 107 miles, 1 hr 58 min., but we took the cut-through and the road was fine. Probably closer to 1 1/2 hour (maybe even a little less). I THINK you are on Navajo land the entire time, so no time change.

Kayenta to Page (Lake Powell) - 100 miles, 2 hours. But, you are going back to "Utah" time. So, if you are leaving Kayenta at noon, that is really 11 am "Utah" time, so you should get to Lake Powell at 1 pm.

That's the best I can do at midnight. I'll look at the great map I bought for the area and double check my times in the morning.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Utah is on Daylight savings time, as is the Navajo Nation.

The only places that do not follow Daylight Savings time are: AZ, HI,Puerto Rice, US Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa.

Debi
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Utah is on Daylight savings time, as is the Navajo Nation.

The only places that do not follow Daylight Savings time are: AZ, HI,Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam and American Samoa.

Debi
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:41 PM

I am tired.

EVERY TIME I WROTE, UTAH I MEANT ARIZONA!

I didn't even go into Utah (except for a brief jaunt on the way to Lake Powell)

Dang! I wish we could edit posts!

Sorry folks!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM

Here's a pillow to rest your weary head, Starrsville { }
A long day here too! And it is lousy when keyboard takes over your mind and fingers!

Debi
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Ok, what is UP???!!!! with fodors forum tonight (and last week or so). I've clicked on the subject almost 20 times befoer it gave me your replies!!! I hope this gets back to you lovely people.

Thanks so much for that! AND, yes, it was you I was referring to Starsville. I read your report and it sounded nicer than the shake and bake so I thought I would ask but didn't get a reply (no, no, it's cool I know you have other things to do besides respond to my questions - and I appreciate that you did too!). But like I said, we're leaving this Friday so I decided to post it as a separate topic. You'll notice on your other post that I replied there first - hehe.

I think I'm getting a hang of the time zones. Thank you both!