Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Las vegas-Zion-Bryce-Antelope (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/las-vegas-zion-bryce-antelope-1027230/)

Kandu Oct 6th, 2014 03:16 PM

Las vegas-Zion-Bryce-Antelope

Hi,

We are planning for a trip during last week of August. Flying from California to Las Vegas and then driving down to Zion-Bryce-Antelope. we have 3 days.

What would be the best path. Las vegas-Zion-Bryce-Antelope?

Please advise.

J62 Oct 7th, 2014 03:11 AM

Yes.

emalloy Oct 7th, 2014 03:35 AM

Three days isn't enough to do much in any of those places. Go to the nps web site for Zion and Bryce plan which hikes you want to take.

Day 1: That said, you could get the earliest plane to Vegas, pick up a car and drive to Zion. Plan ahead and have a lunch packed so you don't waste time with that. Take the park service shuttle to the trail head for your first hike, spend the night in Springdale. Pick up lunch fixings for the next day.

Day 2: Get up early and do anything in Zion that you feel is a must, head for Bryce. Drive the road to the end hike a bit, spend the night in the park or at Ruby's/BW.

Day 3: See sunrise at Bryce, head for Page and hope for a sunny day and hope to get on a tour of Antelope when the sun is high and the crowds don't make good viewing/photos impossible then head back to Vegas and hope you don't drive off the curvy roads in the dark or hit an animal who thinks the road is for animals.

Personally with 3 days, I would not try for Antelope Canyon, just do Bryce and Zion and save Antelope for when you have more time. Still get into Vegas early enough to get to Zion in time to do something before dark.

Keith Oct 7th, 2014 04:51 AM

We did all three last year and Antelope was the biggest pleasure and most talked about after the trip by all of us. I would not drop it.

J62 Oct 7th, 2014 04:56 AM

We did all three last year and Zion was the biggest pleasure and most talked about after the trip by all of us. I would make sure you spend sufficient time there to actually experience Zion, not just rude the shuttle bus.

mlgb Oct 7th, 2014 07:15 AM

"rude the shuttle bus" LOL> Zion in August is not a whole lot of fun. Hot and tremendously overcrowded. I might actually leave it for last...head for Bryce first, then Page, and then perhaps Zion just to "rude the shuttle bus".

eroz Oct 20th, 2014 03:55 PM

It's slow driving there. I'd just do 3 nights in Zion, at a nice hotel. So much to do and hike and see there. If you aren't too mobile, then drive to Bryce the 1st night and work your way back.

utahtea Nov 8th, 2014 05:28 PM

I agree with eroz. Spend your nights in Zion or Springdale, Utah and do a day trip to Bryce. Save the Antelope Slot canyons for another trip.

Honestly, I just didn't think it was as great as everyone makes it out to be and we were the lucky ones that were there when the beam of light came into the canyon. You will be spending almost 5 hours driving just to get to Lake Powell and back to spend an hour to get to and see the canyon. Those 5 hours could be better used to see Zion and Bryce.

Utahtea

janisj Nov 8th, 2014 05:46 PM

The thread was topped by a spammer. kandu likely won't see your advice - hasn't been back to the thread since posting a mo9nth ago (First and only ever post).

utahtea Nov 8th, 2014 07:47 PM

janisj, Thanks for the heads up. I've been away from the forums for a while (was on a 5 1/2 week RV trip in the SW ;) ) and was just catching up. Well...the info might be useful to someone else and the OP might come back since their trip isn't until next year.

Utahtea