Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Las Vegas Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/las-vegas-trip-173919/)

Bobby Mar 18th, 2002 07:44 AM

Las Vegas Trip

We are going to Arizona for a week stay, We will be spending the night of May 13th in Las Vegas since we have never been there, what is your recommendations for the area? We will be taking our 10 year old daughter what is there for her to do, also??<BR><BR>Friends recommended the Excalibur for staying what do they offer for children?

xxx Mar 18th, 2002 08:48 AM

do a search for las vegas and read past responses. i've heard that the excalibar is not very good - small rooms. when you do the search, there are recommendations for a hotel that has a great pool area with water slide (can't remember the name). i choose there so she can enjoy the pool.

Jeanette Mar 18th, 2002 09:03 AM

Bobby, I don't know your budget, but the Mandalay Bay hotel, is fantastic - the pool has a moving water canal that you can swim in, it would be very enjoyable with nice weather. If you log on to their website, www.mandalaybay.com there are some good deals for early week - more so than calling and reserving. It is on the strip, with indoor walkways to luxor (right next door) and Excalibur (on the other side of Luxor. We have found the buffet and restaurants at Mandalay bay to be some of the best in town. We usually stay at Luxor because it is cheaper, however if we were going to make good use of the pool we would stay at Mandalay Bay. Have fun!

Jesse Mar 18th, 2002 10:02 AM

Excalibur bites! Madalay Bay is great bit 219 dollars for your night there and not worth it. Try Treasure ISland, on its website is lists it for 65 a night(treasureisland.com) click on specials. They have the famous pirate battle and the hotel is in a decent location. If you want your 10 year old to have more fun than you stay @ Circus Circus for 55 a night thru expedia.com. I am sure if you visit the Circus website they will have a better offer.

Linda Mar 18th, 2002 10:09 AM

DO NOT stay at Circus Circus! I don't know why people keep saying that- it's a terrible location, there are kids running through the hotel, screaming parents and rude staff. The worst place I've been in my life! Food horrible. I suggest MGM or Mandalay, too. MGM has a Rainforest cafe and a nice little amusement park which wasn't very expensive. My kids loved downstairs at Caesar's with the living statues, aquariums and the 3-story FAO Schwartz.Ditto for the Mirage with the white tigers and the dolphins.

Jesse Mar 18th, 2002 10:31 AM

Then I would go with TI for 65 a night. Right next to Mirage and you have the pirate show. I just stayed there 2 weeks ago and the rooms are great. I mentioned Circus cause of her daughter. I would not stay there either but lots to do for kids.

aMom Mar 18th, 2002 11:03 AM

I walked through Excalibur once and that was awful! THere are screaming kids everywhere, parents yelling at them and each other,it was a zoo! <BR>You will be better off in any of the nice hotels that do not cater to the kid set...It is still a city based on gambling and restaurants and shows, it will be up to you to show your daughter a good time.

deb Mar 19th, 2002 04:18 PM

I agree with Linda, do not stay at Circus Circus. It's rather run down and the food is horrid. Mandalay Bay has a great wave pool that you all would enjoy and the buffet is #2 in the city on my list (Aladdin is #1). Treasure Island would be a great choice as would MGM. Check out the pirate ship/frigate battle out front (free) and see the volcano erupt at the Mirage. Tropicana has critters and a bird show (free) your daughter might like and they have a nice pool. Excalibur is definitely a kids place but they do have Krispy Kreme donuts for everyone!