Reload this Page >

Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:06 PM
Jeff

Can someone tell me how far/how long of a drive is the grand canyon from Las Vegas. Is it better to drive yourself or take a tour bus?
Thanks,

Old May 22nd, 2001, 10:32 PM
lcuy

It is a full day trip from Vegas. If I remember correctly, it was about 4 hours each way. There isn't much to look at on the way, so a tour bus might be nice in that you could sleep on the way. I liked having our own vehicle so we could stay at Grand C as long as we wanted, plus my husband drove and I slept coming back!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:56 AM
xx

it is 5 hours and not much to see other than the Hoover Dam..it depends on how long you want to stay,what youwant to see and how many people.....if just for the day and just 2 people.take a heli or bus tour..thats a long drive for a day trip.....

Old May 23rd, 2001, 08:07 AM
rqf

It is a 275 mile trip to the South Rim and is going to take in excess of five hours. It is about 220 miles to the North Rim from Vegas. If you went to the NR you could, if time permits, visit Zion NP without adding too many miles to the trip.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:57 AM
Gary

Have done the trip with a rental car. Allow 5 hours each way. In 4 hours you can make several stops at look out points, but obviously have no time to to further. My family enjoyed the trip and felt we got to see a good sample of the canyon in this format. P.S. We hate bus trips and don't feel safe in a helicopter. Schedule Hoover dam for another day, even though you pass it on the way it is less than a hour from LV and takes too much time if you are on your way to see the GC in a day.