Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Las Vegas to Grand Canyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/las-vegas-to-grand-canyon-1666609/)

nelsonian May 2nd, 2019 03:15 PM

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

How long is the drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon with a short stop at Hoover Dam?. I am looking at booking a helicopter flight from South Rim, we are staying one night, and wanted to book a morning flight. However Maverick only have 3.30pm flights available for the date we want, 30th May. We could do the afternoon before, but not sure if we would get to GC by 3pm. You have to be there 30 minutes before the flight. I have booked a morning flight with another company, but Maverick seems to have the best safety record. We are staying in Sedona, the night of the 30th May.

Thanks

tomfuller May 2nd, 2019 04:06 PM

Do your stop at Hoover Dam on the way back to Las Vegas and spend as much time as you want. The Hoover Dam Lodge is only 3 miles from Hoover Dam if you don't want to drive back into LV with the sun low on the western horizon. Where does the helicopter take off from (inside the NP?)
Up above Hoover Dam there is a parking lot that you can get to the Nevada end of the big high bridge. On the walkway there are markers for the apex of the bridge and the state line.
There is usually a helicopter tour available for a flight over Hoover Dam and Lake Meade. It takes off from a bank next to the parking lot of the Hoover Dam Lodge.

nelsonian May 2nd, 2019 06:09 PM

We are not going back to Las Vegas Tom, we are carrying on to Phoenix, and the flying to NYC. We are staying the night at Bright Angel Lodge at GC, and the helicopter ride takes off from the GC.

emalloy May 3rd, 2019 08:56 AM

It takes about 5 - 6 hours to get to GC from Vegas, depending on how far up the strip you start and the state of traffic when you leave. If you leave Vegas very early, like 6AM, you could do an hour or so at Hoover Dam and then head for the canyon with time to make your flight. If you are worried about making it, having lunch in the car on the way will save a stop for that.

wolfatthedoor Jun 24th, 2019 05:06 AM

With Hoover it will take 5 hours

J62 Jun 24th, 2019 07:16 AM

This trip was back in May - I believe the original poster has already flown the coop.

nelsonian Jun 24th, 2019 12:41 PM

Yes we are back in New Zealand now. We actually left the airport where we picked up the rental car at about 9.45am. We stopped at Hoover Dam on the way, and didn't get to Grand Canyon until about 4pm. We did not book the afternoon helicopter flight. We did see the sunset though, and the sunrise the next morning, and my husband did the helicopter flight at 9.30am. It was a good decision to do the morning flight, as the weather turned cold, later in the morning, there were thunderstorms and lightening and lots of rain. We drove to Navajo Point and Desert View point but it was very cold, and foggy, so didn't have good views. We stayed about 5 minutes!!. We then headed off to Sedona.