Las Vegas Rental Cars

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas Rental Cars

In October we are flying to Las Vegas and renting a car to explore the area for about 9 days. Iíve read that renting a car on the Strip is much cheaper than at the airport, but canít get details or verify that with the complex rental car company websites. It does look like the airport is only 3-4 miles from our hotel (we are staying one night, near the Strip) and the hotel parking is free. It would be more convenient to get and return a car at the airport, but Iím happy to taxi to the hotel and back if renting a car on the strip saves a lot of money. Advice?
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 07:22 PM

We have gotten good deals at the airport; try autoslash.com.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 06:20 AM

Check one of the major search sites (travelocity, expedia, priceline).

Enter your dates and do three searches: one with the airport as your pickup/drop off, one with the hotel address as the pickup/drop off, and one with the hotel as the pickup and the airport as your drop off. Compare the 3 prices and decide which is best for you. Most hotels will arrange a car rental for you, or have offices on site, but it's best to do your research in advance and show up with a reservation. You may need to walk a mile or whatever to the nearest rental place but that is not a big deal in Vegas.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by WhereAreWe View Post
Check one of the major search ... You may need to walk a mile or whatever to the nearest rental place but that is not a big deal in Vegas.
Walking a mile (or even a block) in Vegas heat (even if not carrying anything) could be a very big deal, and hotel rentals are usually pricier than at the airport. Add cab fare, bus inconvenience/time, etc., and compare to the short shuttle to the airport rental facility and competitive pricing; makes it a no-brainer. I have used autoslash, Costco, discountUSA, and find them to be better than other sites.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:46 AM

Enterprise at 5080 Paradise Road is a very short Uber or Taxi hop from the airport....in fact quicker than the shuttle buses to the airport Car rental center. However I think they close at noon on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays.

They will pick you up at your hotel if you wish to do it that way, but they are not allowed to do airport pickups and drop-offs.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Forum Moderator

We have deleted 3 posts that were arguing back and forth. The advice both members made to check various sites is useful. Arguing "I'm right, you are wrong" is not.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Have you tried Costco? I've consistently gotten the best price there.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 12:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you Moderator 1. My limited experience with rental cars from Las Vegas is mixed. The very best deal I ever got on a rental car (anywhere) was taking the shuttle from the airport to the main rental car facility where I picked a nice new (less than 1000 miles on the odometer) Mazda. This is the company where you pick any car from the line that you want. It was $14/day. I doubt that i will ever get that good a deal ever again.
The bad experience I had in Las Vegas was taking the shuttle to the facility and another shuttle to Fox. They had promised an economy car. When I got there, I was rented a ragtop Jeep (noisy on the Interstate).
At least 2 of the tires were underinflated. I pumped them up near Barstow. Since it was a Jeep, I did drive it for some geocacing in the Mojave desert.
If you are going directly from the airport to a hotel and don't need the car until the next day, you may save money taking a taxi to your hotel and then renting the next day especially if the hotel has a parking fee.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I took all your advice and today I made a reservation!!! (I had tried to get various quotes to compare rates but didn't know the geography and in particular didn't know that rental car "agencies" were located in the big hotels. Thanks for that clue!) Since we won't need the car until the day after we arrive, I rented from an agency on the Strip, walking distance from our hotel. I think the to-from airport taxi will be offset by this. (No need to walk with luggage--hubby walks 5 miles/day and he can go get the car and pick me up.) Two questions needed answers on all the websites. I had to call the customer service office to get answers to two questions not given on the website. The questions were: Do spouses drive free? (Yes) and Will we have to pay extra because we are (a little!) over 70 (No) Good answers! Thanks again, travelers!
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 06:19 AM

Joyce-- you have probably dealt with this before, but if your husband walks to pick up the car and you want to drive it you will probably have to go back to the rental agency for paperwork. Also your hotel might have a shuttle to pick up at the airport.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Spouses are automatically included as drivers with most major rental agencies (as has been patiently explained to me several times), so usually there's no need to do extra paperwork. Also, be sure to check the prices again closer to your rental date; I have never had a price not go down significantly on a rental so far out (we reserve in advance when we think there might be competition for vehicles, like Christmas in popular areas or when there are local festivals, etc.).
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 06:54 AM

Our experience has been that rental agencies often want to see the spouse's driver license and get a signature.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Avis, budget, enterprise , for example, do not charge for spouse; whether it is automatic depends on the state.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 11:04 PM

sylvia3: thanks for the recommendation for Autoslash. I've been checking car rentals for a mid-July trip to Reno and Las Vegas (two separate rentals). So far, Autoslash has better rates than Costco or Hotwire--and you can cancel up to two days before. But I'll keep checking before I book.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 06:05 AM

I can recommend Alamo