Outer Banks - first time, 2 days

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks - first time, 2 days

We are going to be spending the weekend (next weekend) near the Outer Banks. I'm a travel photographer specializing in landmarks, and local 'flavor' (not landscape type stuff typically).

Since I've never been anywhere near the East Coast, where would you send me in the Outer Banks area?

We're driving up from Tennessee and will have about 2 days to spend there.

Any constructive suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM

Hmmm...Outer Banks is a big place...

I'm sure you've already thought of the lighthouses...

How about a fishing pier:
http://www.outerbanksfishing.com/FishingInfo/piers.htm

Or head to Oregon Inlet when the fishing charters come in:
http://www.oregon-inlet.com/

Possibly Jockey's Ridge (and the kite store across the street):
http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/jori/home.html

I know you said you aren't into landscapes, but there are tow very interesting wildlife preserves, Pea Island and Nagshead Woods:
http://tinyurl.com/yue8zn
http://www.fws.gov/peaisland/
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Awesome links - thank you! Very helpful.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Yes, the Outer Banks is a very big place. For your first visit ever, I would probably stay in the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area. There is a lot to see and do there, with the Wright Brothers monument and the famous dunes and kites and all.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Try to have dinner one night at Owen's, I believe it's the longest family run restaurant in the area: http://www.owensrestaurant.com/. We really enjoyed our dinner there.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Hmmm....it's been a couple of years since I've been to the Outer Banks, but last time I was there I saw an interesting little local "landmark" that might make an interesting photo or two.

As you are driving north through the Kill Devil Hills area, keep an eye out for a castle in the sand dunes on your left, if it is still showing.

I asked the locals about it, and they told me that it was part of a once popular minature golf course. The weather and shifting sands had covered it up years ago, and were slowly beginning to uncover it again.

And, of course, the dunes all through the protected area are amazing at night. There are lots of places to safely pull over and then wander around. In the light of the moon, the huge dunes make you feel like you are walking on another planet.

You can also probably get some great shots from the decks of the ferry boats while you're there.

Have fun!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM

"Landmarks" might include the Wright Memorial in Kitty Hawk as well as the Cape Hatteras lighthouse in Buxton.

You say you are spending the weekend "near" the OBX..exactly where will you be ?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I would suggest Ocracoke island, simply for the "old world" feel of the place. Once you get away from the main commercial area, there are small sandy lanes where you can walk and see the houses of the islanders on one side and the family cemetery on the other side of the lane. I felt as if I were going back in time when we visited Ocracoke.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM

If you are staying "near" the OBX--the trip to Ocracoke would be an all-day adventure (well worth it). Stop at Pea Island and take a walk for some nature pictures.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I've only been to the OBX for a few days - but everyone was always talking about the wild horses that are about. I never saw any, and they tell me that they have relocated some of them, but if you are interested in wildlife - you may want to check that out.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I saw them on Ocracoke--before you get to town.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM

There are more wild horses roaming in the winter in the 4 x 4 area north of Corolla. I think they penned up a lot of horses because they were getting hurt. Some idiots would lure horses onto the third floor of some of the houses and then would have to be put down.

There should still be pelicans, though. I always like to snap a photo of them.

When I think of OBX landmarks, I think of the lighthouses--Hatteras, Ocracoke, and Currituck. Roanoke Island has a lot of landmarks commemorating the original settlers. Manteo is nearby and is charming for photos.