Search

Las Vegas-MGM Grand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:43 PM
spa
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas-MGM Grand

My husband and I are going to Vegas 7/5-7/7. Normally, I like to stay at 5 stars (4 seasons, Bellagio, Ritz carlton)...but i'm on a tight budget. Quality of the rooms are important to me. i realize the MGM isn't the 4 seasons, but is it just one notch down? btw, i'm staying in the Grand Tower which i understand is nicer than the emerald. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks for your help!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:41 PM

It's an enormous, standard, acceptable Las Vegas style hotel (have stayed there twice for meetings - would never do it voluntarily) with minimal service and style/amenities similar to every roadside Hilton or Sheraton.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM
spa
Original Poster

Is it worth an extra $50/night to stay at the Bellagio? Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Think of it this way. If you're already spending *X* amount of dollars(and probably too much) why *not* spend $50 more and get what you really *want*! You can easily make that up later by cutting back somewhere else ~ at home. (This spoken from someone who is not a fan of Vegas but who will spend a little more to get what she wants!)
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM
spa
Original Poster

Thanks Audra...that helps my guilt. Also, I checked out the rooms online at Mandalay Bay...they don't look that nice...any thoughts out there?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:18 AM

We will be out there about the same time as you. We are staying at the Venetian for $169.00 per night and their rooms are suites. Check it out www.venetian.com
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM

I've stayed at the MGM Grand twice. November 2003 and May 2004. Both times in the Grand Tower. In my opinion the rooms are nice but that is all. They are definitely not fancy nor do they have out of the ordinary amenities. The between room soundproofing is good - the door to the hallway is bad - especially should you be unlucky enough to have a troop of drunk 20-somethings yelling and carrying on in the hall at 4:30 a.m.

Is strip location anything you care about? MGM is situated quite well I think for getting to several other hotels quite easily (NY NY, Luxor, Mandalay Bay).

I've also stayed at Treasure Island (now TI) twice, Mirage once and Luxor twice. Had what I thought was a very nice room one time at the Luxor, the next time not so good.

For luxury you'd do better to pay the extra and stay at The Bellagio I think. Someday I hope to.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:39 AM

We've stayed in the MGM and while it's nice, it was nothing special. We enjoyed the mirage much more. From what i've heard about the bellagio, i think you should go for it!

I'm not a huge vegas fan either but i AM a huge fan of feeling satisfied with my vacations! Ask yourself this: what price do you put on feeling good and satisfied on your vacations? We all work soo hard for our times away, and we moms work doubly hard taking care of our families too (not male bashing, just stating a fact! ) that IMHO staying where you truly want to stay is MORE than worth the extra $100. Just do it and truly enjoy *your* vacation! Then be sure and give us a trip report!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:21 PM
spa
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Will let you know how it goes.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 10:52 AM
spa
Original Poster

i just realized my package includes a free upgrade to a bungalow suite. any feedback on how nice the suite is?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I have nothing to compare it to; however, we thought the bungalow suite was just wonderful. We were lucky enough to have a high floor with two large picture windows that overlooked the stip. I don't know if all the bungalow suites offer this (we were upgraded from an Emerald Tower room).
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:00 PM

I just wanted to add that despite the size of the MGM (it's HUGE), I find it to be VERY clean and well taken care of, considering the fact that it's one of the largest hotels in the world.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM

We stayed at the MGM Grand a few years ago and it was probably my least favorite Vegas stay. The place is so huge and endless. They make you walk for miles before you can get to the elevators. You are not that centrally located. Not even sure if they have a pool. Never saw it. Also our room was VERY small, don't know which tower.

We LOVE the Monte Carlo. Central, reasonable, nice large rooms, easy access elevator, friendly staff, good accessable food (they have a food court, a brewery and a very good Italian place) The pool is great.

Would also stay at Ceasers again, Mandalay (great rooms), Bally's. But not MGM.