Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Las Vegas High Roller (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/las-vegas-high-roller-1042553/)

Sara Apr 11th, 2015 01:52 PM

Las Vegas High Roller

DH and I will be in Las Vegas this week while he attends a conference there. While we've been there several times in the past, the High Roller is a new attraction since our last visit, and I thought it would be fun to ride. We both enjoy photography, so taking pictures of the view would be a bonus. I rode the London Eye several years ago, and I assume this is similar. We had to wait in quite a long line for a long time to ride the London Eye, and I wondered if there's a similar wait time for this? Has anyone here been on the High Roller, and can advise on the average amount of time in line? I thought it would be great if we could time it to get on board just before sunset, so we'd get a view of that, and then all of the Las Vegas lights as it gets dark. Knowing how long the wait time is likely to be would help us plan our timing. Thanks for any feedback.

janisj Apr 11th, 2015 05:01 PM

There were no lines to speak of for the High Roller. But that was a week day in Feb. If you are concerned, pre-buy your tickets earlier in the day. Some hotels (maybe all - not sure) give discounts when you check in.

IME, photos are easier/better on the Eye. The capsules are shaped differently and there is some annoying interior lighting & video screens in the High Roller capsules -- I've ridden the Eye maybe 6 times day and night and the High Roller once at night. I took some good pics from the High Roller but there is a lot more reflection and curvature to the walls.

LakesideChick Apr 11th, 2015 05:20 PM

I went on the High Roller in Jan and there was no queue. The views are nice from the top but the views from the Eiffel Tower at the Paris hotel are just as good.

Sara Apr 11th, 2015 09:10 PM

We've never done the Eiffel Tower at Paris, the wait always seemed too long. I see the the price for the Eiffel Tower is only $14, opposed to the $25 + for the High Roller. Would we be better off just doing the Eiffel Tower at Paris, or does the High Roller have something more to offer?

Barbara Apr 12th, 2015 08:19 AM

When we went of the High Roller, we told the we'd been on the London Eye and we were told that (of course!) the High Roller is a bit bigger. You can take drinks on with you, you pass through the bar on the way to the wheel. The view is amazing, the entire valley, with a particularly great view, if you're interested, of the pool at the Flamingo. Memo to self: never go there.

As it happens, my son is getting married on the High Roller in a few weeks. They wanted a very small, completely unconventional wedding. For their wedding, we will go round twice. Once around is half an hour. Should be fun.

Sara Apr 12th, 2015 08:24 AM

Thanks for the info, looking forward to it. Barbara, I hope your son's wedding is wonderful - what a fun and different idea for a wedding!

LakesideChick Apr 12th, 2015 02:25 PM

It's a fun thing to do. We did the Eiffel Tower quite late one night do the wait wasn't too bad. We were there in Jan so there were less people around anyway. Do the high roller... also, Ka and O are brilliant shows!!