Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Las Vegas dining -specific restaurant opinions needed!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/las-vegas-dining-specific-restaurant-opinions-needed-471304/)

Elizabeth27 Aug 31st, 2004 04:32 PM

Las Vegas dining -specific restaurant opinions needed!!

HELP!!!!

I am three weeks away from my second trip to Vegas...but this time I am treating my mom to her much deserved first trip there.

At this point, I am totally overwhelmed by the choices for dining. I need three dining options...can be any type of cuisine. My mom is very "hip", and we both prefer a modern decor, upscale but not snooty attitude, with a cool martini/drink menu, but also one where a mature lady in her 50's would not feel uncomfortable.

Some of the restaurants we both like (based on website and menu)are: China Grill, Tsunami Asian Grill, Isla Mexican Kitchen, Nobhill, Craftsteak, Olives, Mesa Grill, diego, Samba, Trattoria del Lupo, Fiamma, Border Grill, 3950....the list goes on.....

Anyway, I would appreciate anyone's opinions on the above restaurants - food, drinks, atmosphere, decor.... Any other suggestions would be much appreciated as well.

nytraveler Aug 31st, 2004 05:29 PM

We did Nob Hill (entertaining a client - but the group was not large - only 8). The food was plebian, the service pretentious - and the wine a joke (they didn't have our first 3 choices and when we finally got something the red came chiiled and the white room temperature). Not something I would ever spend my money on.

swimmer Sep 4th, 2004 10:47 AM

We enjoyed Olives (in Bellagio) for a late evening dinner with friends. "Tuscan-look" decor, fair wine list, and great seating on the patio overlooking the big fountains (shows every 20 minutes?). I would reserve a table on the patio--that is the charm of the place. You can watch the show while enjoying dinner.

Our food was good--I had some sort of Mediterranean salad (don't quite remember) with olives and cheeses--warm dressing--it was very good. Some of us ordered a la carte (salad, plus an appetizer) as a lighter dinner, and everyone liked their food.

I should note that they were busy that night with several wedding parties--make sure you get reservations!

Have fun!

anncat1949 Sep 4th, 2004 01:05 PM

HI There,
I am in my 50's and love Prime at the Bellagio. Food was excellent and service was great. Not pretentious the waiters were friendly also. You can get a view of the fountains from some of the seats. I also ate at the Eifel Tower in Paris and that has a great view but highly recommend Prime.

Momof5 Sep 4th, 2004 09:25 PM

Prime is a excellent choice, but very pricey. Picasso (at Belagio) is even more expensive but delicious and a once in alifetime treat. Olives is wonderful, great atmosphere and I agree with swimmer get a patio view it is great. Also Del Monico's at the Venetian was good to. Tsunami is good but boy is the food spicy. My hubby had a hard time later after eating all that spicey food.
Have a fun time!

madameX Sep 5th, 2004 02:51 PM

Of the ones you mentioned, we've only been to the TRattoria del Lupo in Manadalay Bay. The food was very good and has many options, personal pizzas to more substantial main courses. You will eat very well, but it feels like a bistro, not fine dining (which can be perfectly right, depending on what you want.) But the food is very good!!!

madameX Sep 5th, 2004 02:53 PM

By the way, we have not done this yet, but want to when our travel schedules allow: the Manadalay Bay has a Gospel Blues brunch. I'd LOVE to go, and have only heard good things about it!

dwoodliff Sep 5th, 2004 04:38 PM

The gospel blues brunch that madamex is referring to is on Sundays at the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay. Although we didn't have time to do the HOB gospel blues brunch the last time I was in Vegas, I have done this brunch at HOB restaurants in LA and New Orleans. It is a lot of fun -- not upscale -- but enjoyable for people of all ages. Unless things have changed, there are pitchers of mimosas on the table, for you to enjoy with your food. Making reservations at least a day ahead of time would probably be a good idea.

Donna

sinceregirl Sep 5th, 2004 08:59 PM

Hi Elizabeth,
Mon Ami Gabi at Paris is one of my favorites! Make a reservation and request a table outside on the patio. Along with the great food, one gets a great view of the fountain show across the street at the Bellagio.
Enjoy and have fun!

travdog Sep 9th, 2004 11:38 AM

If you and your mom like seafood, Aqua at the Bellagio is a must. Also, I've been to Crustacean in LA, but not in Vegas, but I can recommend it based on the LA location. Fabulous. Olives at Bellagio is excellent. So is Bradley Ogden at Caesars. I've heard that restaurant the locals vote best gourmet is actually all the way downtown in the Four Queens, called Hugo's Cellar. Never been, but despite the suspicious location, it is supposed to be excellent! Have a great time with your mom!