Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Las Vegas dilemma, nightclubs, and dining for causal late 30s

Las Vegas dilemma, nightclubs, and dining for causal late 30s

Sep 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster
Las Vegas dilemma, nightclubs, and dining for causal late 30s

Heres the deal, my well-to-do sister and husband are giving my husband and I free flights to Vegas and we are all going in January. As my husband and I do not have as much $$, we are not picky about where we stay and actually we were there for a couple of days last year and stayed at Paris - which we loved. My sister and hubby are dead set on Bellagio. Now this is a little out of price range, but we don't want to cause waves so we are planning on spending the money. Is it worth it? Personally when may hubby and I walked through Bellagio last year, we thought it a little fancy for our tastes - albeit very lovely. We would be happy at Ballys for about $300 less which is right across the street and also TI has a good deal for when we go. What would you do? Suck it up and appease your family or say hey lets just stay at separate hotels?

That being said, generally we are all laid back kind of folks, prefering classic rock-and-roll over trendy nightclubs and top 40 music. Any recommendations for places to hang? My husband and I mostly just walked around last time, but we would prefer to have more of a plan this time. Also how about some recs for some mid-price restaurants. I am a vegetarian, so Italian or Mexican is usually our thing.

Thanks for all the help.
Sep 26th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Hi job816! My husband and I just returned from Vegas and stayed at the Bellagio. The place is beautiful but beware of eating anywhere in the Bellagio. It cost my husband and I $25 for breakfast that was for 2 coffees, 2 juices, and 2 blueberry scones which we purchased at their cafe. The breakfast buffet was $14.95 (if I remember correctly) per person. We ended up going to the buffet since it was worth it compared to the cafe. We ended up eating at the Paris buffet for breakfast one morning which was $12.95 per and we thought was good.

We did eat dinner one night at Circo's in the Bellagio which was very good but expensive. There is a Mexican place at the Venetian which looked good but we didn't eat there and I think their prices were average. There is also an Italian place inside the Venetian in St. Marks square which is lovely. I forgot the name but it is located right by the grand canal where the gondola rides are.

Ceasars also has Spagos which has an expensive side and a cafe side where you can order pizzas.

A couple we met had eaten at P. F. Changs which is across the street from Bellagio. They said it was reasonable and good.

Can't help with nightclubs since we didn't go to any except for one in the Bellagio called Carmels. We went for one drink and it was packed with bachlorette parties! A bit too noisy for what we wanted so we drank quickly and left. The Bellagio does have a couple of other bars where you can hang out and listen to piano music or just watch the people go by.

All in all, the place is very classy and I would probably stay there again but just eat outside of the hotel. My favorite part of the Bellagio was the beautiful fountains that go off every 15 minutes to music. If there wasn't so many other things to see, I could have sit there and watched them all day long! If you can, get a room that is lakeside view so that you can see the fountains go off and listen to the music from your TV.

Have a great time and hope you win some money!!
Sep 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Personally, if this was me, I would stay someplace cheap. Let them stay at the Bellagio--I'd save my money. But this is just what I would do. I have gone to Vegas a gazillion times. I have done it pricey and upscale, and I've stayed at the Four Queens for $22 a night. My best times were those budget weekends.

I have gone with people who wanted to do nothing but blow their money on room and trendy eats and $8+ cocktails. Hey, I can go to Spago anytime, but only in Vegas can I get that thrill I get from a $14.95 seafood buffet, or brag that we drank $1 cocktails all weekend and our bar tab came to $40 total for three days! hehe

I would tell my sis and bil to stay at the Bellagio, we'll meet them later. I have stayed across town from friends and it was no problem to coordinate our excursions. But, that's just me. I have no problem telling family or friends when I can't or don't want to spend the money. There should be no shame in being honest and telling them you don't have the $$ to spend on the Bellagio.
Sep 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Since they're buying your tickets, I think I'd suck it up and stay wherever they want to stay.

What part of January is this? It's a little early for "deals" to be popping up, they'll probably come up in early November for January...but perhaps someone will find a better rate at Bellagio for you.
Sep 26th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster
Actually they have free miles that they want to use before USAir goes completely belly up - so its not like they are paying out of pocket. We are looking at mid-January and there are no specials yet for that time of year. However, I took here-today's advice and made the call and said we just can't stay there. I like a nice room, but if I can get a decent room for 300 less . . A regular room at Bellagio will cost us 800 for 3 nights while TI for a deluxe room is 500. They can get a huge suite at TI for less than a lake-view room at Bellagio. So I said this, if you really want to stay at Bellagio, we will do either Paris again or Ballys. Otherwise I think we should all look at TI. Unless folks here don't think TI is that great. I loved Paris and would stay again, but I would trather try something different.
Sep 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I think the question is how you get along with your relatives. Will they be annoyed that you aren't staying at the same hotel or do you have a relationship that will make that work.

I have gone to Vegas with friends where they stayed at Ventian and I stayed across the street at TI at about half-the-price. My friends--admittedly not relatives--understood I didn't have their kind of money and therefore wanted to stay more reasonably. We hung out at their room and mine, but mostly we were together--or apart--in Vegas, which is what ultimately mattered.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster
My sister and husband, who we get along great with, have decided they rather stay in a more affordable place with us then be in separate hotels - good people. So I am thinking of TI based on the price. One of my friends felt it wasn't central enough and the rooms were decent - what are others thoughts about TI?
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:56 AM
Compromise and stay at the Aladdin. Your sister can upgrade to a "resort room" and have a nice few of the Bellagio fountains across the street.

In January, the Aladdin will have switched over to new management and will be "Planet Hollywood".
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM
No way the TI stands up to the Paris in my opinion, and I have stayed at both. TI is also not very convenient to Bellagio. While I would not feel obligated to stay at the same Hotel, I would feel obligated to be close.

While they may not be taking money out of their wallet for your tickets, they did earn them. That deserves some consideration.

Paris would be my first choice in your situation but if you want to try something different: Bally's has bigger rooms than Paris but is older and shows it in some areas. Flamingo is nice but rather basic as far as rooms go (if that matters to you). Ceasars probably is also pricey but may be worth checking out. If the tram to Monte Carlo is back working at that time, it would be very convenient. Try out their brew pub/restaurant/club.
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Placeu2 - thanks for the advice. My husband and I have styed at Paris before
and although we loved it, we want to try something different. Right now for center strip, and when we plan to go, TI has the best prices. Are you saying that TI is not worth it? The rooms look very nice on the website and they are renovating their buffet. Would you recommend Monte Carlo over TI? We walked through Monte Carlo during our last trip and we weren't all that impressed.
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:04 PM
TI is nowhere NEAR as nice as Bellagio. Plus, their location is so far down the strip that it is very inconvenient.

Monte Carlo is just OK. We stayed there on our first Vegas trip.

Personally, I'd highly recommend Caesar's for your trip. They have a variety of room types so both you and your sister can be accommodated within your means. Tell your sister to go for the Palace Tower rooms, and you can do the Centurion Tower.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
job816--We'll also be in Vegas mid-Jan.--have you checked out the Mirage? We've stayed there before and thought it was very nice. For our dates (Jan. 15-18), a deluxe room is $398 total for three nights and a pool view room is $438. If she wanted to splurge, your sister could get a Tower Deluxe room (bigger, nicer bathrooms) or a suite (we upgraded to a suite last year and LOVED it). This year we're staying at Paris for the first time and am looking forward to it. Have a fun trip--sounds like you have a great relationship with your sister--good for you!

Search this Thread