Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LaQuinta Dog Friendly Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/laquinta-dog-friendly-lodging-817460/)

tuckerdc Dec 12th, 2009 07:29 AM

LaQuinta Dog Friendly Lodging

Didn't see this specifically come up in a search, and thought it might be handy for folks if both references were in the title. We've learned this past fall that almost all LaQ properties are dog friendly - and I mean FRIENDLY, with no extra charge (as opposed to some places that require non-refundables up to $75, or more - but I would still call and check any location where you were considering staying). LaQ's are not 4-stars, of course, but every one we've been in has been perfectly acceptable, and often with nice grounds for walking (and self-clean-up, of course). And for those times when you really don't want to put your pup in the kennel, it's a great alternative.

I noticed one thread that came up that addressed the needs of allergic-folk, suggesting that if they book LaQ, they request a non-pet room. Seems like LaQ might lose as many customers as they might gain with this program - which they don't go out of their way to advertise. But for pet-lovers....it's an enlightened concept, and very appreciated!

ksucat Dec 12th, 2009 09:44 AM

La Quinta is great with dogs and though we like staying in a little higher accomadations, you can't beat the price for what they offer.
Kimpton Hotels is another high end boutique chain of hotels that are really great with dogs too.
More and more hotels are getting on the bandwagon with allowing pets..
When we travel to NYC with our dog, the Benjamin is a wonderful place to stay Mid town and they come up with a comp. water bowl and goodies..its an Affina hotel.

NeoPatrick Dec 12th, 2009 10:55 AM

Another thing I like about LaQuinta is their policy of free internet. I was staying at an expensive Hyatt and didn't want to pay $25 for two days of internet to check my emails, so actually sat in my car at the LaQuinta parking lot down the street and accessed for free. But I often stay at LaQuinta -- and just booked one for the night before I fly out of Ft. Myers at 7 AM on Christmas Eve Day. I live only 45 minutes from there, so why did I book LaQuinta? Because for $30 and some points I have with them I get a room AND free parking for 9 days which would cost me over $100 at the airport. So I can go up the night before, use the room and let them shuttle me to the airport and leave my car for free.

Sorry, to divert from the dog issue, it was just fresh in my mind.

ksucat Dec 12th, 2009 11:24 AM

That is awesome NeoPatrick!

The paying for internet thing really bothers me..usually they are $12.99+ a day and if you are on one of their rewards program they waive it but its such a rip off..a lot of times they will waive the fee at the Front Desk..not always though.

Scarlett Dec 12th, 2009 02:26 PM

We traveled across the United States, from NYC to Fl then a year later from Florida to Oregon, with a large dog. La Quinta was the hotel of choice. We stayed in suites in most of them, they upgraded us without our even thinking to ask and the rooms were spotless and the service was great... Pup gave them 2 paws up .. ((Y))

stumpworks73 Dec 12th, 2009 04:08 PM

We just completed our first pet friendly night with La Quinta. I checked the pet friendly hotels web site and confirmed that the La Quinta was the only hotel in this city that did not charge $75 and up cleaning fee per night for pets. The location was an aging location. Still adequate. I had forgotten that La Quinta still allows smoking and had not specified a non smoking room. Still, the manager changed our room after checking in.

The experience was acceptable.

A couple of weeks before, we stayed at a brand new Marriott Town Suites that had a liberal pet policy at no surcharge. On the same night discussed above, a nearby Town Suites wanted the $75 per night for pets.

spirobulldog Dec 12th, 2009 05:09 PM

Generally speaking, LG Inn and Suites are a little nicer than LQ Inn. They have a ton of weekend specials on their website. We stay at one in Dallas often for $49-$59 for thier "last minute weekend deals" They offer this a lot of times early in the week, like a Monday. The only time that it is not available is when there is an event like Nascar, Football game or something of that nature. I think most LQ's are just fine for a nights rest.

spirobulldog Dec 12th, 2009 05:10 PM

And if you do stay at LQ, definately get their reward card.

tuckerdc Dec 14th, 2009 04:28 PM

Not to sound like a paid soundboard (I'm not!), but LaQ has just gone up another notch in my estimation. First, there's the fact that (even for a veteran Priceliner/bottom liner), a LaQ res is often less than the cost of the least possibly expensive hotel option when you factor in kennel$ and now....I just called the 800 number to change a rez I'd made on line.

The on-line was made a few days ago - really economical w/AAA rate, near O'Hare. When it looked like we were going to spend an extra day over the holidays near kids/family, I went to edit it. And found the rates somewhat higher...not a lot, but did I mention, I'm 'economical'?

So instead, I called the 800#. Well, how refreshing in this day and age: I got a grown-up. A courteous and efficient grown up (who never used the phrase, 'no problem' or 'you guys.'). And clearly located in this country. (Sorry, but the whole idea of shipping American jobs for American companies to boiler rooms overseas where I can't understand anyone......is not politically correct or incorrect...it's just WRONG...)

So. With a few moments, and a few keystrokes, he added the third night (in a new rez #) at the same rate. Goodness gracious. Efficient, polite service. How great a concept is that.

tuckerdc Feb 26th, 2010 08:27 AM

Just thought I'd post a little more info I just came across.

At the moment, I'm looking for a spot that's both dog friendly and offers an indoor pool (which the LaQ in the area we're headed does not), and I came across the site www.dogfriendly.com which notes that its credo is to focus on places that "welcome well-behaved dogs REGARDLESS of size..." which I think is great. Nothing T's me off more than places that claim to be pet-friendly, but limit it to like 20 pounds. OK, that takes care of my well-fed hamster, now what about my d-o-g.....?

NeoPatrick Feb 26th, 2010 09:29 AM

I stay at LaQuintas fairly often, particularly for a single night stay on the road or the night before or after a flight. You have a point about other guests. Not too long ago I checked into my room, and it reeked of dog odor. I don't mean pee or poop -- just dog smell. I suspect many dog owners wouldn't even notice it, but it wasn't OK with me. They quickly switched me to another room, but it reminded me why some motels do charge a deposit for pets.