Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lappert's Ice Cream - Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lapperts-ice-cream-maui-516063/)

sk84fungirl Mar 26th, 2005 04:39 PM

Lappert's Ice Cream - Maui

In the middle of doing some research, I came across a review for Lappert's Ice Cream.

Is this a must try while in Maui?

here_today_gone2Maui Mar 26th, 2005 04:43 PM

No, but Roselani is. Lapperts is good, but Roselani is exceptional.

cigalechanta Mar 26th, 2005 04:44 PM

and do they ship?

sk84fungirl Mar 26th, 2005 05:06 PM

Just went to their website.

Here are the locations you can purchase from in Maui (outside of restaurants and grocery stores)

Roselani Scooping Parlors
Hula Scoops (in Pizza Paradiso), Honokowai
Nikki's Pizza, Whaler's Village - Ka'anapali
Royal Scoop at the Royal Lahaina Resort, Ka'anapali
Ululani's By the Bay, Kahakuloa
Maui Duke's Ice Cream, Front Street
Maui's Own Ice Cream Parlor, Lahaina Center
Maui Swiss Cafe, Front Street
Pretzelmaker, Lahaina Cannery Mall

CajunStorm Mar 28th, 2005 12:32 PM

Thanks for this post! We are ice cream lovers and were gonna hunt down Lapperts in Maui on our next trip but now I will look for Roselani for sure.

kimr Mar 28th, 2005 06:47 PM

I liked Lapperts just fine - we had Roselani at the Maalaea Harbor Shops (next to the aquarium) and it was good too, but Lapperts seemed to have more flavors with things mixed in.

In Kihei, there is a Lapperts in one of the strip malls but we preferred the one in the Wailea shops (Big Island Inspiration was my fave!)

Kim

pspercy Mar 28th, 2005 07:39 PM

<i>Ululani's By the Bay, Kahakuloa
</i>

It'll take a lot more than ice cream to get me to drive down that cliff-hugger to Kahakuloa again :)

turn_it_on Mar 28th, 2005 09:49 PM

I really didn't get what was so great about Lappert's. I couldn't even tell you what we had now. I hear about it so much from people I almost think it's either a) so legendary people buy into the myth or b) that ice cream tastes better on vacation.

love
roxy

dolciani Mar 29th, 2005 05:30 AM

And you can get a coupon from Lapperts - buy five - get one free. Ask about it.

here_today_gone2Maui Mar 29th, 2005 09:09 AM

You can also buy Lapperts on the mainland.

Roselani is made on Maui. If you want a true Maui ice cream experience, find some Roselani. Last I checked Lappert's didn't make haupia ice cream.

jlappert May 19th, 2005 02:08 PM

It is a must try where ever you go. Lappert's does have a coconut ice cream, far better than Roselani's. It is made by hand on Kauai and we ship - give us a call.

sk84fungirl May 19th, 2005 04:40 PM

I did have Lapperts while I was there. Did not happen upon any vendors that sold Roselani. I was in a hotel and did not have a freezer to purchase anything that wasn't eat and go.

I had Mango and Passion Fruit sorbet at Lapperts. It was very good.

geraldineb May 19th, 2005 07:56 PM

Hi, What is&quot; haupia ice cream&quot;? I am diabetic, do either of these two companies have ice cream made with splenda? or other sugar substitute? What flavors taste the best? Thank,you

CaliNurse May 19th, 2005 08:35 PM

Haupia is a coconut milk pudding. Haupia/coconut ice cream is da bomb. Also try haupia cake--I had one with the haupia pudding and pineapple and still dream about it!
Is that REALLY Mr. Lappert who wrote above? Delicious stuff!!!

iamq May 20th, 2005 04:58 AM

roxy,

EVERYTHING tastes better on vacation!

-Bill

kamahinaohoku May 20th, 2005 06:37 AM

Walter Lappert passed away at the age of 82 in September, 2003, so that definitely wasn't him posting.
((S))((*))

cmcfong May 24th, 2005 05:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting about Roselani ice cream. WOW! What a treat it was. We tried it at the Sea House for dessert at lunch on the first day. After that we made it a point to track some down every day. Mahalo!

jlappert May 26th, 2005 05:34 PM

As noted, Walter died 2 years ago, I am his daughter-in-law and I work in the company. We have just come out with a sugar free flavor caramel macadamia nut and it will be available in the islands this June. Thanks for all the Lappert's devotees!

MichelleY May 26th, 2005 07:36 PM

Dear jlppert:

I have only had your ice cream twice: Sausalito CA, and in Koloa, Kauai. Both times it had that stale, melted and frozen again taste. It didn't impress me because of that. You may want to check on your quality control at the point of sale. Just giving you a heads up.

geraldineb May 28th, 2005 05:29 PM

Hi JLappert, Thank you for the diabetic ice cream tip. I will be there in July so I will look for it. Thanks, it is getting harder and harder to walk into creamerys and walk out empty handed.