Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lake Worth, Florida (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lake-worth-florida-261408/)

Glen Sep 27th, 2002 02:42 AM

Lake Worth, Florida

What is this area generally like? Thanks.

xxx Sep 27th, 2002 06:42 AM

Very very expensive.

x Sep 27th, 2002 07:00 AM

For vacationing, moving to, business? More info needed to answer the question. But for now, it's 86 degrees with 70% humidity, winds out of the South at 7 mph.

Lenore Sep 28th, 2002 12:28 PM

Lake Worth is just an ordinary American city between West Palm Beach and Boca Raton FL. I certainly would not consider it to be a vacation destination. Perhaps xxx is confusing the city of Lake Worth with a posh street called Worth Avenue, which is in Palm Beach and lined with expensive shops.

Glen Oct 1st, 2002 01:16 AM

Interested in the community for relocation purposes. So this is not an upper middle-class area?

Debbie Oct 1st, 2002 02:58 AM

Hi--<BR>Lake Worth has every economic level living w/in its borders. The area right along the ocean, immediately adjacent to the town of Palm Beach, primarily has hotels and restaurants; but as you continue to drive south towards Boynton Beach, you'll see condos. Any ocean front (and 'lake front'--what the Palm Beachers call 'the lake' is really the intercoastal)is VERY $$$...As you move west, the price of housing goes down--some areas are fairly poor, others are definately not. The housing and area picks up again as you near Wellington, which is very much middle to upper-middle to affluent area.<BR><BR>I lived around W. Palm Beach for 8 years. Neighborhoods greatly vary (this is true in other towns around there, not just Lk Worth. There's clusters of rich, clusters of middle class and clusters of poverty. Schools w/in Palm Beach Co. range from being quite good to horrid. I know, I taught there too.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Debbie<BR><BR>Personally, I like Boca Raton to the south better than Lk Worth. To the north of Lk. Worth, I think Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter are nicer (Palm Beach is a lovely self-contained town--ranges from the very, very comfortable to richer than G-d). Where are you going to be working?

xyz Oct 1st, 2002 06:45 AM

As Debbie said, Lake Worth has a little bit of everything. If you stay east, you're better off. The downtown is going through a redevelopment with many restaurants, shops, etc. opening up.<BR><BR>The municipal beach, however, is still a problem. The city cannot agree on how it should be renovated because the voters will not approve increased taxes or private development of the area. The elected officials are, however, working very hard to find solutions. I think part of the problem with the voters is that many are either seasonal residents or absentee landlords.<BR><BR>Another problem with Lake Worth is that they run their own electric utilities, and that means that Lake Worth residents pay higher electric bills than their neighbors in either Lantana or West Palm Beach. Recently, they have not only paid more, but had outages due to equipment problems.<BR><BR>That being said, the College Park area of Lake Worth is nice, with good location (east of I-95) and nice housing. For "upper-middle class" areas, however, I would be looking more to the coastal areas of West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter.

Lenore Oct 1st, 2002 11:34 AM

Debbie and xyz gave you very good assessments of Lake Worth. There are more desirable addresses in the area, such as Atlantis, Wellington, Manalapan, Palm Beach Gardens or to the south, Boca Raton or Parkland. Like Debbie said, the neighborhood can change just by turning the corner! What city is your job located?