lake toxaway, cashiers, highlands or blowing rock

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a vacation this summer and I dont see much on lake toxaway on the site. Has anyone stayed there and would a better choice be cashiers or highlands going with large family and was thinking of renting a house on lake toxaway. any suggestions would be helpful and are there a lot of things to do in the toxaway area , hiking , etc.
thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:10 AM
Brutforce

Any of those areas are fine, of course you have the lake @ Toxaway. I tend to favor being closer to the Asheville area especially w/a large group as there tends to be a more varied amount of activities. Austin will help you out as well when he sees this post. What are your primary goals ? Hiking ? Water sports ? There are cabins virtually everywhere so that should not be a problem as long as you plan ahead.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM

I took a trip in October to the Cashiers/Highlands area with my mother. We rented a house thru the High Hampton Inn in Cashiers. It was a nice two bedroom plus loft house in a very wooded residential area across the road from the High Hampton. We ate breakfast at the High Hampton once, but no other meals there. I did drive up to Lake Toxaway just to look around. The Inn there was too $$$$ for our budget. You might search VRBO.com for houses. I have had great luck with VRBO.com in Colorado and Florida.

It appeared there was plenty of hiking opportunity in this area although I don't have any first-hand knowledge. Be sure to eat at Don Leons in Highlands!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:12 AM

We stayed on Lake Toxaway at the Greystone Lodge-- in the annex overlooking the water with a balcony--
GREAT room-fireplace-balcony--

The Inn is a few short steps away but the annex is newer===and the views are better--

Inn serves High tea in the afternoon-
there is a cruise on the lake that the owner takes you on and explains how the area came into being--plus you get to see all these million dollar homes up close and personal---

In addition, the Inn has a nice restaurant that overlooks the water and serves breakfast and dinner....

PLUS- you can use all non-motorized water sports for free...

It is great for a romantic getaway---and you are within driving distance of the Highlands ( cute town with neat shops) and also Cashiers....

PLUS there is a TON of hiking in the area and the Inn will advise on good routes to take....

Here is the website:
http://www.classicinnsofthesouth.com/scripts/inn.cfm?memberid=greystone
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

Here are the activities at the Greystone:

Activities

Truly an outdoor paradise - lake activities, golf, tennis and hiking are only steps away. Fishing, water skiing, canoeing, sea kayaking, sea cycling, and many other lake activities are available from the Greystones own dock. A daily champagne cruise is an Inn tradition. Greystone guests have full privileges at the adjacent Lake Toxaway Country Club where they can enjoy golf, tennis, and lunch. The golf pro shop and tennis pro shop are only a few yards from the Inn.

Activities available at the Greystone Inn:

Hiking
Swimming
Tennis
Canoeing
Kayaking
Fishing
Skiing, tubing and kneeboarding
Nightly Champagne Cruise
Golf
Waterfalls
Picnics
Volleyball
Croquet
Badminton

Activities available near by:

Horseback riding
Shopping, Cashiers, Brevard, Highlands and Asheville
Historical sight seeing
Waterfalls
More hiking

THERE is no way you will be bored!! LOL
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:51 PM

I am from the Cashiers area. I would recommend you stay closer to town. There is not much in Toxaway. Sapphire is great, lots of activities and a lake. Highlands is especially charming. Highlands has a lot of shopping, dining, etc. The town also puts you very close to excellent hiking with waterfalls and amazing views.