Lake Tahoe to Vegas via Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We are travelling from the UK in August 2021, we will be staying at Lake Tahoe for a few days and then driving down through Yosemite/Death Valley to Las Vegas.
We are going to allow 4 days or so to do this as we want to stay over and visit different areas en-route and spread the journey a little. I am wondering if anybody could give us some must stay places to go on the way down/through Yosemite (maybe even sierra national forest or Kings Canyon). We are looking at hotels not camping. A little local knowledge / experience can go along way.

Any suggestions welcome, Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 07:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- big issue re Death Valley in August. They don't call it Death Valley for no reason Yes you can drive through the Valley en route to Vegas but you won't be getting out of the car or hiking or anything. We are talking 47°/ 48°+ C. Unfortunately August is not the best time of year for Yosemite, Death Valley OR Las Vegas, but if that is when you have to travel you can make the best of it. Where are you flying in to and home from? That will partly determine what order and how to get from place to place.

(Las Vegas could also have been called 'Death Valley' because of the heat in August).
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

We are aware of the Death Valley situation, we know it’s gonna be hot. Our intention would be for our last stay to be on the east side of one of the national parks, and then do the trip through death valley to Vegas in 1 go.

We we are flying into San Fran and back out from Vegas to another destination

Last edited by Lukey3665; Jul 4th, 2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 06:14 AM

>>Our intention would be for our last stay to be on the east side of one of the national parks, Lake Tahoe down 395 to Toga Pass and into Yosemite, then back out agian via the same road to 395 and south to Death Valley.

In neither scenario would Sequoia/Kings Canyon come in to play. To fit in S/KC, you'd have to do SF > Tahoe > Yosemite > then down the Central Valley to Sequoia, then through or near Bakersfield and around the south end of the mountains and up to Death Valley (and much of this route is hellishly hot and ugly) . . . confusing enough?
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Oh I didn't notice the edit -- so yes it is SFO and my routes are correct.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 08:38 AM

I would skip Sequoia/Kings Canyon due to routing logistics and see giant sequoias at Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. You could also spend a day between Tahoe and Yosemite exploring the historic Hwy 49/Gold Country area. Calaveras Big Trees State park is another place to see giant sequoias. From Yosemite, I'd take Tioga Pass over the Sierra Range and spend some time around the Mammoth Lakes area which is beautiful with lots to do nearby, Mono Lake, Bodie, Devil's Postpile to name a few. From there it's a long but doable day to drive through Death Valley and onto Vegas.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Ok, with the info provided a change of route: please tell me your thoughts on this:

Leave San Fran to Fish Camp - stay 1 night
Leave Fish camp to Yosemite Valley - Stay 1 night
Leave Yosemite Valley to South Lake Tahoe - Stay 3 Nights
Leave lake Tahoe to Mono Lake (or somewhere decent to visit before traveling through death valley) - Stay 1 night
Mono Lake to Las Vegas through Death Valley

Thoughts?
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:30 AM
J62

Of all of the places I've been in my life, incl SF, Yosemite, Tahoe, and Vegas on your itinerary, few places anywhere are as spectacular, magnificent, amazing (add your own superlative) as Yosemite. Spending one night there and 3 in Tahoe doesn't compute to me. 2/2, or 3/1 is what I would do.

Then again, if you are not walkers/hikers then 1night in Yosemite and riding the bus around the valley, with a side trip to Glacier Point and one to Mariposa may be enough for you. (but impossible to fit into one day)...
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

We wouldn't have 1 day in Yosemite, we would have the best part of 2 days, We do like our walks but we will be travelling with a toddler so we don't want to overdo the walking, the 3 days in Lake Tahoe would be for a mixture of walking, relaxing and water activities.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM
J62

Makes more sense now. The Tenaya at fish camp is a lovely hotel if that's where you're staying. If you arrive there early enough you could explore the Wanona Sequoia grove on the afternoon you arrive, then in the morning head straight to the Valley, with a stop at Glacier Point enroute.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
Makes more sense now. The Tenaya at fish camp is a lovely hotel if that's where you're staying. If you arrive there early enough you could explore the Wanona Sequoia grove on the afternoon you arrive, then in the morning head straight to the Valley, with a stop at Glacier Point enroute.
We haven't sorted any hotels just yet, we need to find out which route we were going to take first so we could figure out dates and locations. But we will keep the Tenaya in mind.

Also exploring the Wanona sequoia grove a day early also sounds like a plan to free up more time within Yosemite
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like Patty’s plan. Start in Tahoe, head To Yosemite via Hwy 49. Spend at least 2 nights in Yosemite Valley. Then head over Tioga pass to Hwy 395 and explore the rest of the way to LV. Fish Camp is not on your way and at least an hour south of YOSEMITE VALLEY. Yosemite Valley is where you want to stay, or, if you cannot get lodging, stay in El Portal.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 12:53 PM

>>We wouldn't have 1 day in Yosemite, we would have the best part of 2 days
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The "Wanona Sequoias" is actually the Mariposa Grove, which is inside the Park, close to the South Entrance near Fish Camp. As you want to see this, it makes sense to enter there. It will take some time to see the sequoias because you can't drive to them, you have to take a free shuttle and you may have to queue to get on that.

Located near the South Entrance of Yosemite, the Mariposa Grove is the largest grove in the park and is home to over 500 mature giant sequoias. During much of the year a free shuttle is required for use between the Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza and the Mariposa Grove. There is a variety of trails from easy to strenuous within the grove, as well as some accessible trails. Restrooms are located at the Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza and areas within the grove. Drinking water is available only at the welcome plaza (year-round) and arrival area (summer only) so plan accordingly. The drive takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes from Yosemite Valley.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/sequoias.htm

Once you've seen them, you can take in Glacier Point, which should not be missed IMO, on your way to the Valley. You should stay in the Valley as you thought. You'll have to make lodging reservations a year ahead. It would be better to spend two nights, then you'll have time to take the free shuttle around the Valley on day 2 in the Park, leaving via the Tioga Road on day 3. You may want to stop at Tenaya Lake (my favorite spot!), amongst other places on your way.

Patty's suggestion of Mammoth Lakes is great. A huge ski resort is there in winter and it's a lovely area in summer. www.mammothmountain.com ; https://www.visitmammoth.com/

I drove through Death Valley in July the first summer I was in the US. It was H O T!! But interesting. Make sure you buy a case of bottled water to keep in your vehicle.

I don't know if you've been in the US or out here in California before, but as a fellow Brit, I can warn you that the distances are huge. Inside Yosemite, you'll be driving on two-lane, winding roads and progress can be slow because of traffic.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Great Advice thanks. Yes we have been to America a handful of times and driven around but not to do a road trip like this as such, so this will be a new experience. We do have time if needed to stay a extra night in Yosemite itself (and by everyone's suggestions it maybe that we need to), but we were thinking of the kids too especially the toddler. There is going to be 4 adults and 3 children.

The final stop before heading to Vegas is still open for change so the mammoth lakes may be the stop we do.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:30 PM

IMO a better use of time would be two nights IN Yosemite Valley and then visit Calaveras Big Trees en route to Tahoe. That would add about an hour to the total drive but they'd be a lot less crowded and is a MUCH larger grove.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:34 PM

We were posting at the same time -- If you can manage an extra night -- I'd stay 2 nights IN Yosemite Valley, 1 night near Angel's Camp or Murphys for Calaveras Big Trees and Columbia State Historic Park, the head up to Tahoe. Fish Camp doesn't add any value to your itinerary.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:37 PM

I would think hard about driving through Death Valley in August with young children, especially a toddler. We used to stay in Fish Camp when we drove to Yosemite from Los Angeles area. Coming from SF, I would say to stay on the north side of the park for one night, then maybe two in the park. The detour to approach it from Fish Camp seems like a lot of unnecessary driving.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

This is a revised route that I am now thinking of, the exception being that we will be travelling through Death Valley on our way through to Vegas (Whilst following all the safety advise and precautions when doing so). Thoughts? or recommendations of hotels/place to stay in the destinations?

Old Jul 4th, 2019, 07:06 PM

Please clarify -- are those all one night stops? Or . . . is it still 3 nights Tahoe and 2 nights in Yosemite plus Angel's Camp and Mammoth Lakes one nighters?

If the latter that is a totally doable itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -