Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lake Tahoe : Labor Day week - more warm or cool?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - We're staying in South Lake Tahoe during the Labor Day week. We will mostly hike, kayak and some touristy stuff. I checked weather histories and it can range from 30's to 70's at that time. Can anyone give me what they've experienced so that I can figure out what to bring. We will bring layers but want to know whether to lean towards the warm or cold. More short sleeve or more long sleeve? Thanks, sue
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Those numbers are correct - expect high 60's - 70's (or even 80's) during the day, 30's to 40's at night.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Kal

..and crowded. :-<
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Hi, Kal --- yes, VERY crowded . . . . . .
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Kal

Hey janis!

Talk about crowded...Hot August Nights this week in Reno. It will be my first visit. The things I do for my company!

We need a mini-Sactown GTG soon. >-
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Well KAL, glad you're coming up to see us. There are 5,000 cars officially registered and then there are the ones that come anyway but wait too long and can't register. I'm actually hiding in my house this weekend... I've been to the festivities so many times that at this point I just try to stay off the road. Enjoy yourself. It's hot..well, what's better for Hot August Nights, right now we're having thunder storms and those desert squals..I always feel so sorry for those people and their cars that have the 30,000 paint jobs. A bit humid right now. Have fun.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Kal

crefs,
We used to come up every year for the Nugget's Best of the West BBQ cook-off over Labor Day...until it got too darn hot, too darn crowded and too darn stuffed!!!

We tried driving home thru SLTahoe on Labor Day and it was worse then going through KapaaTown over New Year's week!

Still very beautiful up there. Been about 5 yrs. since we closed down the cocktail hour bar at the Embassy Suites!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

hi and thanks on the weather - I guess we'll pack everything!

As to the crowds - we've heard about them! We're planning to be out at daybreak to do our stuff - so hopefully that will help. If you have any advise on areas that are a little away from the crowds - it would be much appreciated. We're in South Lake Tahoe because we got a timeshare week there.

Thanks again, sue
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM

sueoz, are you coming into Reno? Well, you can't avoid the crowds because anyplace that has any cars, etc, draws the crowds. But, there are a lot of different venues where you can see the cars fairly easily. Staging spots are, the Atlantis, the Peppermill, all of Victorian Ave. in Sparks, the Hilton, and downtown Reno. If you start out early I'd say pick a spot and by going early you'll have a better chance of parking. With 5000 registered cars plus others there will be cars for days at all those places. What you might do when you get into town, is stop at a Quick Stop or similar place and get the Reno Gazette Journal...they have listings of all the stuff going on, where all the cars are staged etc. Oh, by the way, I have a stock 1950 Pontiac if anyones interested..even has the original indian hood ornament...
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM

sueoz...well, didn't read you post clearly I think...if you're NOT coming to Reno STILL start out early..that's the only way to beat the crowds. Tahoe is just loaded with people this time of year and the weather is good so it will be hard to get away from crowds. Stay away from the beach at Kings Beach..tragic sewage spill there last week..pile driver broke a sewer line. There actually are sewer lines that run along the shore and some are even under the water at the edge of the lake. Anyway, don't know how far you are planning to go around the Lake but don't go to Kings Beach.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM

crefloors: they are going to Tahoe over LABOR DAY.

sueoz: Don't worry about the Kings Beach/north shore problems. There was a sewage spill last week and three beaches were temporarily closed. But everything has been cleaned up and the beaches re-opened Friday afternoon.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:04 AM

well, I was just up too damn late last night wasn't I...duh. and belive it or not I was ONLY drinking water!!!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Well - I was up just as late as you and was drinking a nice vintage Port -- maybe that's the difference
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM

janis: LOL