Lake Rabun Hotel

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Rabun Hotel

Just wondering if anyone had stayed at The Lake Rabun Hotel and their impressions.

Husband and I are considering a short stay in late october or november.

Also, anything you can tell us about their in house resturant.

Starrs, I'm looking for you!

Pharlap
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 06:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It is lovely. Several years ago new owners took over and renovated it and made a rustic hotel more luxurious. New windows, insulation, decor, etc.
Friends from Atlanta have stayed there and loves it. The chef has done great things there but he just opened a new restaurant in town and it is VERY good. I was there with a group (most from Morningside/ VaHi) and we all enjoyed our meal. The name is Fortify and I highly recommend. I am sure the LRH restaurant is still good but their chef has moved. S

There's a brand new luxury hotel that just opened right in town and it looks fabulous. White Birch Inn is the name (I think and I'm not on my computer to check. Another option is the Beechwood Inn just outside town and friends like it a lot. Their monthly farm to table/ special event chef dinners are amazing. I ate there last fall. Three vineyards in the county including a lovely one we just tried. He was an orthopedic surgeon from Piedmont and it feels like being in Napa. The Red Barn at Tiger vineyards serves on weekends and supposed to be very good.

Back to LRH - if you stay there rent a boat and enjoy the lake. Or drive a few more miles and enjoy Burton. Have fun!
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 06:46 AM

It is lovely. Several years ago new owners took over and renovated it and made a rustic hotel more luxurious. New windows, insulation, decor, etc.
Friends from Atlanta have stayed there and loves it. The chef has done great things there but he just opened a new restaurant in town and it is VERY good. I was there with a group (most from Morningside/ VaHi) and we all enjoyed our meal. The name is Fortify and I highly recommend. I am sure the LRH restaurant is still good but their chef has moved. S

There's a brand new luxury hotel that just opened right in town and it looks fabulous. White Birch Inn is the name (I think and I'm not on my computer to check. Another option is the Beechwood Inn just outside town and friends like it a lot. Their monthly farm to table/ special event chef dinners are amazing. I ate there last fall. Three vineyards in the county including a lovely one we just tried. He was an orthopedic surgeon from Piedmont and it feels like being in Napa. The Red Barn at Tiger vineyards serves on weekends and supposed to be very good.

Back to LRH - if you stay there rent a boat and enjoy the lake. Or drive a few more miles and enjoy Burton. Have fun!
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Starrs, I knew you would steer us in the right direction.

I will check out the other hotels/inns and also resturants.

We were thinking of renting a canoe if we stay on the lake.

I have friends that owned a lake house/cottage on the lake, but they sold it about 8 years ago.
I was invited several times to go over, but I never did, and am kicking myself!

We live in the NW corner of Georgia, and have never been that far up in the NE corner.
Looking forward to going.

I'll let you know what we decide to do.
Can't thank you enough.

Pharlap
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM

You should be kicking yourself! That would have been a fabulous opportunity. Lake Rabun is special.

I can't believe I didn't mention this before - the Parker Ranch, a 1930s summer resort, has reopened. Actually friends of friends are the ones who have reopened it. I'm so glad - I've looked at it for years and wished that I could. It's about a mile outside of town, on the way to the lake and going down their short drive is like going back in time. Becky has fixed up whatever needed to be done and Paula serves food that is divine. I was there recently for a weekend event and the folks who stayed there (the Morningside/VaHi folks) loved their rooms. I stayed at home. Paula served breakfast and lunch to the group and the food was out of this world. The rates are very moderate, the décor is in keeping with the time and period but with luxury touches. It reminds me a lot of the Lake Rabun Hotel. Either would be a good choice. Actually, any of the four mentioned would be great - although I think I'd pick the Parker Ranch and eat at Fortify in town. If you want recommendations for other places in town to eat, shop, etc. just let me know.

http://www.parkersranch.com/#!
http://www.fortifyclayton.com/

http://www.beechwoodinn.ws/
http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listin...hite-birch-inn

My mom grew up in the NW corner and I have friends and family who grew up "on the mountain". I was at Cloudland Canyon recently. I do like the NW corner but I love the NE corner. Enjoy your trip! Depending on the weekend, if you want to meet up for lunch at Grapes and Beans give me a shout. I'm usually up most fall weekends - and G&B is my favorite lunch place anywhere -
http://grapesandbeans.com/
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Starrs, I knew you would be a great help.

I will check into The Parker Ranch, that sounds like our cup of tea.
I will make reservations for one of the places we have talked about in the next few days.
I'll let you know what we decide.

My friends father wrote a book on the history of Lake Rabun. I'm sure you have seen it. His name was Ben Noble. It is very interesting.

Would love to meet you over lunch if you are in town.

I'm a lurker in the lounge, check it every day, but don't post much.
My feelings get hurt easily.
But, I would like to offer up my opinions sometimes!
I miss Budman, but I don't guess any body else does....

We live on Lookout Mt at Cloudland.
If you are ever this way, would love to meet for lunch.

Thanks so much,
Pharlap
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 12:21 PM

Thanks! We probably drove right past you on the way out of Cloudland. Drove in and around the Fairyland subdivision where my cousin grew up and tried to find my friend's house. His backyard view was of the city. Years ago I played on the same tennis courts as Roscoe Tanner (at the CC). That was fun. I used to schedule work meetings at the Chanticleer. We stopped at Rock City but it was too rainy for a view so went to Ruby Falls on the way home. It was raining when we were at Cloudland so went into Chickamauga and had a fabulous lunch at a chocolate shop that closed shortly after. Also stopped by a pottery close to the park's entrance and ate a breakfast at Geneva's (it was really raining that weekend!). Yes, the lounge is interesting. It's toughened up my hide over the years. I don't know about the Lake Rabun book but I'll check it out. Have you read Stuart Woods' book about Lake Burton? Also Charles Martin's book, When Crickets Cry, is a good read. I picked it up at Prater's Books, which you should visit when you are in town. I liked the early Budman but things got a bit too fierce, but those who met him IRL really liked him. Perhaps the political fires just burned too hot. Let me know when you decide to head up that way and lunch at G&B would be fun.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

OK, we have made reservations at The Lake Rabun Hotel for friday, Oct. 31, and saturday, Nov. 1.

We really want to stay on the lake, and an in house resturant is a plus.
That way, we can both have several glasses of wine with our dinner, and walk to our room.
No need to drive anywhere. It is more relaxing.

Keep posted on this thread, I will keep checking it, and maybe you will be available for lunch.

I will get some recommendations closer to our trip regarding shopping, etc.
We want to see Tulluah Gorge for sure.

Thanks for your help,
Pharlap
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:15 PM

pharlap, I meant to say something before but it slipped my mind. The Lake Rabun Hotel is NOT on the lake. It's not far from the lake but it's not on it.

Across the road is Louie's on the Lake, a good pizza place that feels like going back to camp.

Hall's Boathouse is down the road and isn't very far. But the hotel is not on the lake.

Yes, the in-house restaurant is nice as is the no need to drive. But I don't want you to be disappointed that you'll not be on the lake.

I hope lunch works out. And make sure you go to Black Rock Mountain State park in addition to Tallulah.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:19 PM

According to Google Maps it's a 1/2 mile from the hotel to Hall's boat house. Louie's across the street backs up to the lake but there is no view of the lake. Just to let you know.

http://rabunboathouse.com/contact-us.html

http://louiesonthelake.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:24 PM

There are no views of the lake from the hotel either.

That weekend IS the whitewater release for kayakers in Tallulah Gorge. That only happens a few weekends a year and it's fun to see the kayakers run the rapids - either from the rim outlooks or hike down to the suspension bridge

http://gastateparks.org/TallulahGorge/ (2014 dates include Nov. 1)
http://www.tallulahfallsgeorgia.org/...fm?whatpage=12 (2013 dates but good info)
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Hey Starrs,

I fell yesterday and bruised my already enlarged spleen and cracked 3 ribs, so I will reply when I feel better.

The book is called Lakemont, Ga: The Early Years, by Ben Noble.

Pharlap
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Oh no!

Ouch!

Take care and heal quickly. I'll look for that book
Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm back, 10 days out from breaking ribs and I'm still sore!

I didn't realize the hotel is not directly on the lake, but they advertise lake views, and I booked the Lakemont room for the lake views.

I'm sure we won't be disappointed. It's a done deal.

My friends, who used to have the place on the lake, have booked a room for the same weekend, so it will be a blast none the less.

We will probably go to Fortify one night and maybe the hotel the other night for dinner.

Do we need to make reservations for Fortify? I'm assuming we do, but will wait to closer to our trip.

It's exciting to hear Tullulah Falls will be running wide open. We will really enjoy that.

We are planning on canoeing, but will wait until closer in to make our reservations for that, in case the weather was to turn out horrible.

Let's hope all will work out and we can meet for lunch. Be nice to meet a fellow "Fodorite"!

Thanks for all your help.

Pharlap
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM

Hi! I didn't know the rooms have a lake view. I've been upstairs on a holiday tour and didn't notice a view of the lake but it is a very cool place. You will have a blast!

Yes, make reservations at Fortify. It is fabulous. Hope it works out to meet for lunch. Grapes and Beans would be a great choice for lunch.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 02:27 PM

I'm at the foot of the mountain. Celebrating a cousin's 64th anniversary in Fort Oglethorpe.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Starrs,

Well, we are a few weeks out and wondered if you will be able to meet for lunch?

We are leaving friday morning and driving up thru Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Hiawassee, and Lake Rabun.

It should take us about 4 hours or so, taking our time.

We are renting a pontoon boat on the lake.

Looking forward to this trip, hard for me and my husband to get away together.

Oh, it is friday, october 31 thru that sunday.

pharlap
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 01:02 PM

So glad you are renting a boat! Best way to see the lake and at the best time of the year.

I was at Louie's on the Lake a couple of weeks ago and looked for water through the greenery. I did see glimpses of water so there ARE water views from the LRH.

We ate at Fortify again and it was great. Make a reservation on OpenTable for one of your nights.

Unless something unexpected comes up I can meet for lunch on Saturday or Sunday. I hope the healing is going well.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Starrs,

Sorry to be so late in getting back with you. It looks like I can meet for lunch on saturday.

How does 12:30-1:00 look for you?

My husband may join us, or he may do something with our friends that are up.

We are so looking forward to getting away for a few days!

Pharlap

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -