Reload this Page >

Lake Powell in March

Search

Lake Powell in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Claudia

Lake Powell in March

I'm planning a family vacation for early March at Lake Powell. We enjoy fishing and hiking. Any advice on where to stay, what to do?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:42 AM
g

We stayed at a Holiday Inn which was nice several years ago. We were there mid April and it snowed....since this year the weather seems to be unusually cold all over, March may be pretty risky to fish and hike. In any case, it is not too far to Zion and Bryce Canyon, it is breathtaking to hike there.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Tricia

Hi Claudia,
We stayed at the Wahweap Lodge, located right at Lake Powell. We were there this past July and the place was packed.
Just an average hotel w/average rooms, in our opinion. Very expensive restaurant, nice shop, great views and walking paths. If we were to go again during the summer, we would stay in Page. It's just across the bridge. Also, the tour of the Glen Canyon Dam was very good and worthwhile.
Since we were there in the summer, we rented a powerboat for a day. I understand the boat tour to Rainbow Bridge is good.
One more thing: the drive to Lake Powell, done in the morning, from the East, was a sight to behold. To see the bluest lake appear on the horizon was beautiful. Also, the drive from Page to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was spectacular! These views were some of our best!
Have a nice time. Tricia

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Gerri

I went to Lake Powell a few years ago. We stayed at the Wahweap Lodge which I felt was a good value for the money. Our room looked over at the lake. The excursions on the lake were incredible as was the trip to Rainbow Bridge, which is done first by boat and then by hiking.

The weather at the middle to end of March when we were there was in the 70s. A big change from when we left the Grand Canyon, where it was snowing.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:38 AM
xxx

We also stayed at Waheap Lodge. Took the calm float trip down the Colorado. Antelope Canyon Slot Canyon tour (definitly not to be missed - bring camera)(not the boat tour). We took the Rainbow Bridge tour also. Although it is beautiful senery and amazing how narrow the canyons are that the boat can go thru, it is a long trip. The hike up to the bridge itself is not long..

The two things I missed doing - the horseshoe hike overlooking the Colorado River and the Native American village and dinner tour.

I also had fear of heights - crossing the Glen Canyon Bridge into Lake Powell was a trip for me. If I could have closed my eyes while driving I would have!

Have fun. It was a wonderful trip we will remember always