Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   lake powell (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lake-powell-467154/)

njs Aug 15th, 2004 05:35 AM

lake powell

We are driving from grand Canyon to Zion.
I have heard that this is a very scenic drive. However we do not know...
1. Where to stop along this drive
2. Parking...When we find a attractive place, can we just pull off the road and walk around?

Also I wanted to know, during this drive, where we should stop at Lake Powell?
Page/Wahweep or something else?

We have no plans to hike much...Just want to take a few pictures.

Do let us know what other scenic points we should stop during our drive from Grand canyon to Zion.

Thanks
njs

njs Aug 15th, 2004 05:25 PM

Can someone reply??

utahtea Aug 21st, 2004 11:52 PM

On the way out of the Grand Canyon there are many scenic overlooks in the park all the way to Desert View entrance station. After you leave the park there is a stop at the Little Colorado River Gorge which is worth a stop. There are many Indian stands here. You will see other Indian stands as you drive north on Hwy 89 towards Page.

You will drive up a steep pass called Antelope Pass just before reaching Page. There is a scenic viewing point at the top, but you will have to cross over to the left side of the road to reach it. Be careful!

As you come down the pass you will see Lake Powell off in the distance. Near milemarker 545 is a turnoff to your left and a short drive on a dirt road to the parking area for the short 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend. This is NOT well marked!! This is a great place to get out and walk around. If you take the hike you will see the a horseshoe bend in the Colordo River.

The Carl Hayden Visitor Center is at the Glen Canyon Dam. This is a great place to see the lake and take pictures. After you leave the Visitor Center there are a few vista view points to stop at. If you want to get down to Lake Powell & Wahweep Marina, you have to pay the National Park Entrance Fee or if you have a National Park Pass you can get in.

Utahtea

Photodog Aug 24th, 2004 06:58 AM

On US 89 about 40 miles from Page will see sign pointing way to Old Paria townsite. It is 5 miles off the paved road. At sunset the multi-colored landscape is spectacular. Near the Hite Marina cross the bridge and after rounding large curve will come to camping area on the left. Park here and walk around. Gives great view with crossbanded sandstone bluffs and shows really well the seriousness of the western drought. There is a bouy marked no wake with footprints around it.

KathrynT Aug 24th, 2004 12:52 PM

If at all possible, I would try to take a tour of the Antelope Slot Canyons just outside of Page. They are incredibly beautiful and were a highlight of our trip. You have to go in on an organized tour which you can book in advance (we did throught the John W. Powell museum), but I think they can also be arranged in the parking lot to the canyons. If you like to take pictures, you'll be in heaven!