Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Laguna Beach - Surf and Sand v. Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:54 PM
susie

With prices being the same, which hotel do you prefer? I am looking for a nice hotel with a good beach for a romantic relaxing weekend. I just want to go to the beach, eat good meals and maybe get a massage. I have no interest in golf and I'd like to avoid anywhere that is really loud or host to big conventions. Any comments on either hotel?

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:08 AM
jack

I saw in another post that one guest found the surf and sand noisy as far as the sound of the ocean being very loud. I was wondering myself whether it is loud there other than the ocean. Is it very close to the Laguna Beach town?

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:15 PM
michele

s and s is right in Laguna Beach...fun, but busy. The Ritz is in Laguna Niguel, close to Laguan Beach, but much quieter/ I think if you want to relax in style, that's your best bet.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Kathy

Stayed at the Surf and Sand...no complaints at all. Across the street from a small diner where we ate a good breakfast. It was right next to the beach volleyball where the locals play (and they're really good!...no wonder why most of the olympiads come from So. California...gorgeous to boot!) Anyway, our room was just average size but we did have a great ocean view...no complaints at all. I don't know anything about the Ritz so no comparisosns. Kathy

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:36 AM
susie

Kathy,
How far is it to walk into the main town from the surf and sand? would it be doable to walk in for dinner (or too dark along the road/beach)?

The room on surf and sand package is the "run of the house" which I have learned means whatever is left. Apparently the hotel is only about half full so an upgrade may be possible. Has anyone stayed in the less expensive rooms? are they okay? How is the service there? does it seem like the kind of place that would put you in a nicer room if available or that would keep you in the worse room unless you pay more?

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Mark

Only two Olympiads have been in So. California.....1932 and 1984.
But lots of OlympiaNs have come from So. Cal ;-)

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:51 AM
s

The Surf and Sand is incredible. We try to go every year, in fact we are going in 2 weeks. It is walking distance to town. There is a great restaurant right across the street called French 75. Amazing food and the chocolate souffle is wonderful!
Try to stay in the main tower if possible. It's right on the sand and when you're in your room it feels like a cruise ship since all you can see and hear is the ocean. I can't wait to go back!

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Tango

The RC Laguna is a wonderful resort. It is my favorite "lazy weekend" hotel.

Walks on the beach...
Reading a book in Cluget a club level room)...
Wonderful tea service in the Library...
Amazing dinner in the Dining Room...
Maybe a little shopping in town...

All in beautiful surroundings.

Ahhh, I wish I was going there this weekend.

Don't forget to bring at least a few credit cards though as everything is pricey. But have no fear, it is worth the money.

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:39 AM
susie

Thanks for all your advice. We have decided on the surf and sand. Seems to be more what we are looking for - some place luxurious but fun (we are in our late 20s), right on the beach, where we can relax but also have some something to do (spa, walk into the town, try a few restaurants) etc. The ritz sounds great too for another day. Also, I was able to get a very good rate even at the last minute. Thanks again and if you have any more advice for us - restaurants, shops, etc. please let me know. we'll be there nex weekend.

Old May 18th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Tom

Don't forget to go to Las Brisas for lunch or dinner (setting and food are both great). And be sure to have dinner at the Ritz as well even if you're not staying there. Bear in mind that the Surf/Sand is NOT nearly as luxurious as the Ritz, in MY opinion! And don't forget to post a trip report upon your return!

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Robin

No one has mentioned Splashes, the restaurant in the Surf and Sand. It's a wonderful place to eat, where it feels like you're on the beach. Fabulous on a nice afternoon.

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:54 PM
susie

Any other fun suggestions for our two days at the Surf and Sand? On the agenda so far is sitting on the beach, massage and dinner at Las Brisas. Any fun bars for the evening in Laguna Beach? Preferably where we don't need to drive (walk or cab) so we can really have fun!

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:43 PM
Lisa

If you don't end up staying at the Ritz, go there for happy hour as the sun is setting...I was there last Feb. and as the sun was setting there were dolphin playing and jumping..It was unbelievable..very romantic!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:39 AM
susie

Thanks for your advice everyone. We had a wonderful trip. Ended up staying at the Surf and Sand which was wonderful. the first night was sold out so our room was good but right on top of the pool so we had to keep the shades shut. The second night we had a gorgeous room on the 8th floor of the tall building. The room was huge and overlooked the ocean. BTW: the rooms cost about $260/night by taking advantage of a special the hotel was offering.

I really liked the surf and sand. I thought the service was great. The hotel was luxurious but very comfortable (e.g. good service on the beach if you wanted lunch or drinks, nice towels, good exercise room and spa, people watching your belongings on the beach so you could leave your stuff (maybe not valuables but your clothes, walkman, etc.) while you went swimming).

The location was perfect. Aside from being directly on the beach we were easily able to walk to and from the main town. I felt like I was away from all the noise of the Main Beach but close enough to be part of the fun. THere are so many interesting shops, galleries and restaurants, I was glad to stay somewhere very accessible to all. Additionally, I would not want to drive into the main town (from the Ritz or elsewhere) because the PCH is packed and there is no where to park.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Susan

Susie, thanks for the trip report! We are going to Laguna Beach in July with our large extended family and we're staying at the Capri Laguna (a range of budgets, couldn't all afford the Surf and Sand), so I'm glad to hear you could walk to shops, restaurants, etc. Any specific recommendations? Did you get to Las Brisas? Did you use the spa at Surf and Sand?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:57 AM
ss

We were just there this weekend. Absolutely fabulous trip!! I had a massage at the Spa and it was wonderful!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Susan

topping, please.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
susie

I did use the spa at the Surf and Sand and it was great. The prices are pretty average for a spa (i.e. expensive!) of that kind. The Capri Laguna looked nice Susan. As for restaurants we had fun eating fish tacos with the "locals" at Wahoos (we are from Boston so all this So Cal surfer stuff is a real treat). We ate at Las Brisas the other night. My meal was delicious (again, keep in mind I'm from Boston and definitely not a Mexican cuisine connosieur) it was some sort of simmered shrimp dish. My boyfriend's meal was not good but he ordered a burrito so I think he just picked the wrong thing. We ate lunch at Splashes. the lunch wasn't anything special but it couldn't have been more convenient. the dinner looked good though. Have fun

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Cheryl

Susie,
We live near Laguna Beach/Laguna Niguel, and have been to the Ritz Carlton many times for various functions. It's gorgeous, quiet, on a stunning cliff, and very close to a quiet beach. I've never been in Surf & Sand but have heard good things about it as well. S&S is very much in the heart of things, and more convenient to shops, restaurants, etc. So it all depends on what you're looking for. If you just want R&R with not much shopping, etc., I'd definitely vote for the Ritz, because it's so beautiful.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:39 AM
Cynthia

Live in Laguna Beach midway between the Surf and Sand and the Ritz, with the same incredible oceanfront views of Catalina and San Clemente Island. Have stayed at both hotels a couple of times just to experience them and both are very nice. Btw, the St. Regis just opened last year across Coast Highway from the Ritz, right on the Monarch Beach golf course if golf suits you. Haven't stayed at that one yet, though. It all depends on how you prefer to spend your days and nights.

The S&S is closer to the village (downtown) and all its attractions and accomodations so naturally it will be more "lively". You can walk to the numerous restaurants and art galleries and shops. It is also directly on the sand so if you have a room on the lower floors the surf will be a bit loud, esp. at night when all else is relatively quiet. Once stayed on the second floor of the tower and couldn't hear my own conversation if I had the balcony sliders open; I am used to this but it may bother you. I have also stayed on the higher floors of the tower..much quieter and further from the beach activity down below on the sand. Service is very good. The two hotel restaurants are good, but you should try the more casual eateries lining Coast Highway and the streets in the village. This hotel being so close to our village, the dress is basically California casual.

On the other hand, the Ritz is on a cliff above our Salt Creek Beach and is a bit more formal. As the name implies, it's a little more ritzy, but this is Southern California so it's more like smart casual. It's a larger and more well-known hotel, so it attracts weddings, conventions, and larger functions. Since it is on a cliff you will have to either walk down to the sand or take the hotel shuttle down. This beach is a surfing beach so you may see more surfers there. If you want to go to the village you will need to get in a car or hop on our Laguna Beach Transit shuttle which runs every half-hour between the Ritz and the village for less than a dollar. The Ritz is also so very close to Dana Point Harbor where there is a maritime museum for the kids, many more restaurants, and water activities (kayaking, jet skiing, surfing, sailing, whale watching, fishing, and shuttles back and forth to Catalina island). In fact, the Ritz is midway between Laguna Village and San Clemente, another beachside surf town hugging the coastline with its own little downtown and pier.

No matter which hotel you choose you will probably be happy. You are within 20 minutes of Newport Beach and adjacent tiny islands, Corona del Mar, Laguna Beach (S&S), Monarch Beach (the Ritz), Dana Point Harbor, and San Clemente...all kind of flow into each other.

Have fun...it's pretty difficult not to. And welcome to our town!