Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Laguardia Transportation to Manhattan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/laguardia-transportation-to-manhattan-738850/)

freespirit61 Sep 25th, 2007 11:56 AM

Laguardia Transportation to Manhattan

Ive read the treads and would like clarification on public transportation from LGA to Manhattan..Where do I catch the train? I read that I take the M60 bus from the airport to the train stop and then the train to Times Square(staying at the Westin-TImes Square) How long will this take mid afternoon?? Is it safe?? I have just one rolling carry on bag so not much to lug. Thanks in advance.

nytraveler Sep 25th, 2007 01:13 PM

There is no train to LGA. You take the M60 bus across the Triborough bridge into Manhattan nd get off at 125th St - the mainstreet of Harlem. From there you would have to take the subway or another bus downtown. Beawre that the subwayahs a couple of sets of stairs and neither the subway or bus has anyplace to put luggage - you need to stand holding on to it (or try to put in under your seat if the train/bus is empty enough for you to get one.

This is all perfectly safe - but IMHO a major pain in the butt - and would probaly take about an hour and a half. If it were me I would spend a few dollars more (about $35) and take a cab perhaps 30 minutes. Or, take a shuttle bus to Port Authority for $12, then wals to the hotel - much easier and faster.

nyer Sep 25th, 2007 01:22 PM

freespirit61, part of the confusion is that New Yorkers sometimes say "train" when we mean subway (well, it is a train system)
So, you are correct that you can take the M60 bus to the one of last stops--110th and Broadway, and there you can pick up the #1 subway/"train" to get to Times Square. Yes, it's about 90 minutes, and it's a plain old city bus that makes stops, not a real "airport bus".
The other options sound much better to me.

travelbuff Sep 25th, 2007 01:32 PM

I've taken the #60 bus into Manhattan from LaGuardia, and it takes some time, and it's certainly cheap. Get a metrocard at the airport and the trip will cost you $2.00, but it will take some time and the view of the city on the bridge is quite nice.

On 125th St, you can get off at St. Nicholas Ave and take the A train to 42nd and 8th Ave or go to 110th and Broadway and take the #1. I would not get off the bus at 125th and Broadway with your luggage the track is elevated there and it might be more of a struggle to get up the stairs or escalator. It's a nice view of the West Side on the bus, by Columbia University and Riverside Church.

The total time will be an hour to two hours depending on traffic coming into the city.

chocaholic Sep 25th, 2007 04:37 PM

I just came back from New York this early evening.

Stayed at the Westin Times Square too.

I took this bus to mahattan and back to LGA

http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_manhattan.html

It was $21roundtrip, and it stops at the Port Authority, 2 blocks from the Westin.

freespirit61 Sep 25th, 2007 06:11 PM

Thank you everyone for the info. I didn't realize this could be a 1-2 hour event. I'll check into a shuttle or take a taxi. Thanks again...

chocaholic Sep 25th, 2007 06:40 PM

Oh, the shuttle didn't take long... the ride is about 25 mins... but like you said .. check the schedule. It was pretty quick... within the hour I was at the Westin. It's just waiting for the bus to go after pick up and drop off. There is only 2 stops. AT Penn Station and at Port Authority.

When I arrive at LGA, I got off at Penn Station, because the driver's english was not good. I said times square, he said yes. Just don't get off, get off the next stop at Port authority. I think he just wanted everyone off the buss.

roslaire Sep 29th, 2007 05:50 AM

A cabride into Manhattan is a tremendous experience. You get to see all of the sights, without having to worry about what train to take and what place to stop. BUT if you ever have the opportunity, take the bus to the train....there are several options. The M60 that everyone speaks of here. The other bus, which I couldn't tell you the number, is goes to a general train/bus stop in Queens. From there you can take the train into Lexington Ave on the east side, or ride it across the island of Manhattan....nowhere near the hotel you speak of, but great nonetheless.

If you take the cab, be sure to take a bus/train, just to try it. Take a subway map with you! :)

Have fun in NYC!

mclaurie Sep 29th, 2007 05:55 AM

If you are staying at the Westin and traveling alone, the best bet is the Shuttle bus chocaholic linked. Get out at Port Authority and you're almost there. If there are 2 of you, it's not that much more for a taxi (~$30) for door to door service, but in rush hour, it could be more than $30. If you want door to door service at a fixed priced, dial7.com or carmellimo.com are popular car services that cost about the same.