Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LaGuardia to Manhattan; Restaurant Recommendation

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be arriving at LaGuardia early on a Friday afternoon and need to get to West 35th St. (Wingate Hotel). Can you please tell me the best way to do this? I am more inclined to airport shuttle/cab options rather than subway/bus options.
We also have tickets for Jersey Boys at the August Wilson Theatre for a 7:00 pm weekday show. We'd like to eat prior to the show ideally within walking distance of the theatre. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Just exit the airport and go to the taxi stand.

Some rstaurants that come to mind, for Italian Basilica and CAscina (i believe both have good pre theater prix fixes), for higher end, Bar AMericain, and for very resonable cuban, Guantanamero. There are many more. Hceck menupages.com for user comments and menu listings.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Taxi is the only thing that makes sense, since shuttle bus for 2 people will cost just as much - and can take forever.

For the dinner - what is your price range? And what types of food do you like/dislike?
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Definitely take a taxi ...

and find a restaurant here:

www.menupages.com

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We'll be taking a taxi from the airport, and I will check out the menu pages website. For the person who asked, I'd say a moderate price range (vs. higher end prices) would be fine; we like Italian, seafood, Chinese, possibly a steak house. If you have any specific suggestions that would be great. Thanks again.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM

It really depends on how early Friday afternoon it is, and whether it's a holiday weekend. There are two typical routes from LGA to midtown, and either works well when there's no traffic, but if traffic is tied up the bus only goes the way it goes, regardless of congestion. So I'd agree, take the cab, it'll cost about the same if there are two of you, and let the driver take the quickest route for the day. Yes use the taxi stands, all the legit cabs are routed to them. If you like Korean food, I'd go to 32d Street between 5th Avenue and Broadway and pick any one...
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM

For moderate Italian in the theater district have a look at Roberto Passon at 50th & 9th Ave.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM

The taxi price will depend on traffic. If you're arriving late in the afternoon, you might want to consider ordering a car service like dial7.com so you can get a fixed price (similar to taxi price). Early afternoon, a taxi is fine.

There are Express bus options for $12/eprson that stop at Penn station which is near your hotel but for 2 or more, not that much less than car service.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html

If the show starts at 7 (is it a Tues.?) you'll have to eat at 5-5:30 to make it on time to the theater. Depending on your idea of "moderate" ViceVersa is an Italian with a pix fixe $35 3 course meal.