Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LaGuardia- I fly in on Northwest, Mom flies in on American...Where is a good place to meet?

Search

LaGuardia- I fly in on Northwest, Mom flies in on American...Where is a good place to meet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are meeting in NYC for a weekend. She flies in on American and I will be flying Northwest. I get in about an hour earlier. Ideally, I'd like to go meet her at her gate but I'm not sure if I can. It looks like we are in different terminals and I don't know if all the terminals are "connected" so I can walk to her gate without leaving the security area. If that's not possible, can anyone suggest a good place to meet mom outside of the ticketed passenger area? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

JaneS
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:40 AM

Meet her at the baggage claim area for her flight.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM

Northwest and American do not share terminals, if I recall correctly, and the terminals are not connected. You'll need to take a cab or shuttle to your mom's terminal. My advice is ask someone in the ground transportation area; fortunately you should have plenty of time to get to her terminal and meet her in her baggage claim area.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:18 PM

Northwest shares a terminal with Delta and American is in the central terminal with both airlines. Catch the free terminat-to-terminal shuttle down to the Central Terminal - I think it drops you off on the baggage claim level.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:03 PM
Rob

American is in the Central Terminal Building at the northern end. NW operates out of the Delta Terminal which is at the southern end of the airport. The Central Terminal and the Deltat terminal are not connected. There is a free Shuttle bus that operates. There are maps at www.panynj.gov. Click on airports and then LGA.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:12 PM

I also agree that the easiest way to meet up with your Mom would be to go to American Airlines. You won't be able to meet her at her gate, since you don't have a ticket on American. You can wait for her at the bottom of the stairs at the Baggage Claim or meet her as she is comming through Security and head downstairs with her to baggage claim.

A nice thing about American that most people don't know is there is a less used taxi stand around the corner at American, go out the door, turn right go around the corner and the taxis will be lined up. If you go to the main taxi area, in front of the terminals, you will wait for a taxi for a LONG time. This way the line is very short and you will be on your way into the city, oh and tell the cab driver to take the tunnel.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info on the terminals, shuttles, and taxis. It is very much appreciated!
JaneS