Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   lacoste polo's on canal street (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lacoste-polo-s-on-canal-street-548718/)

bojano Aug 2nd, 2005 12:03 PM

lacoste polo's on canal street

anyone know if there are any lacoste polo's on canal street?

GoTravel Aug 2nd, 2005 12:09 PM

Why don't you buy a real one at the Midtown location with all the money you are saving buying other fakes?

bojano Aug 2nd, 2005 12:15 PM

clearly if I'm going to canal street it's to save and why buy full price when I can get bargains?

Gekko Aug 2nd, 2005 12:27 PM

I've never seen Lacoste (but plenty of Ralph Lauren); however, I haven't been on Canal Street this summer.

If you don't see what you want, ASK.

If you strike out in Chinatown and are willing to pay full price for Lacoste, go to Bloomingdale's (enter from Third Avenue at 60th Street and they're right in front of you).

MikeT Aug 2nd, 2005 12:31 PM

Since the LaCoste is probably not a REAL LaCoste, then you are really just getting a shirt that is the same as what you could get at Wal-Mart. If it is a REAL LaCoste, then you are likely aiding and abetting a crime.

GoTravel Aug 2nd, 2005 12:40 PM

Because, hey, here is an idea, let's give the person spending all the money on the marketing and advertising that makes it a popular item the profit!

Isn't that a concept?

bojano Aug 2nd, 2005 01:21 PM

wow, you really must have no life, but hey, its just an idea

ewt Aug 2nd, 2005 01:44 PM

You can often get them on ebay for discounted prices. Do your research and find a seller who sells authentic merchandise and I bet you can get one for about $20. The trend is dying down, so I'm sure there are more available.

fehgeddaboudit Aug 2nd, 2005 04:08 PM

Does anybody wear those anymore?

Are you hosting an 80s party?

BigJim Aug 3rd, 2005 07:35 AM

Totally agree with you Bojano! But I also have to ask, do people really still wear those??? :)

jlm_mi Aug 3rd, 2005 07:41 AM

No, they wear them <b>again</b>. They've experienced a new surge in popularity this year.

elizabeth_reed Aug 3rd, 2005 08:08 AM

Hasn't a good polo-style shirt been stylish for almost 25 years? (I wear sportswear not fashionista or stuffy clothes.) Chevy Chase was wearing Lacoste polos in 1983's &quot;Vacation&quot; and the only thing I find dated on them is that they're a little snug.

Our local Catholic school kids wear chinos and solid-color polos. Not bad for &quot;uniforms.&quot;

GoTravel Aug 3rd, 2005 08:09 AM

This is the scoop on lacoste.

Lacoste used to be a very very expensive upscale clothing line.

In the 1980s Lacoste was purchased by Izod. Izod ran the company in the ground.

In the early to mid 1990s, the family that formerly owned Lacoste bought it back from Izod. They searched high and low for every Izod/Lacoste polo shirt that was whored out to every bargain chain in the country and bought and destroyed them.

They took the brand totally off the market and re-introduced them in the late 1990s early 2000.

They are back to where they were prior to the Izod fiasco as a very expensive line of clothing.

Bojano, you can kiss my ass.

BigJim Aug 3rd, 2005 08:17 AM

Well, GoTravel, that's the way to be an adult about it!!

Dick Aug 3rd, 2005 08:45 AM

Just for the record...it's a crododile..not an alligator

GoTravel Aug 3rd, 2005 08:57 AM

Well who ever said I was an adult? After all, I have no life and have nothing else to do :-D

For the record, just kidding, no hard feelings, yadda, yadda.

Just thought y'all would like to know the story behind Lacoste, why these shirts retail for over $100, and why the days of them being discounted are over.

Waldo Aug 3rd, 2005 09:43 AM

you can purchase a ROLLEX watch at Canal Street real cheap. Notice how I spelled ROLEX.

TripleSecDelay Aug 3rd, 2005 12:16 PM

The upturned-collar polo shirt and the huge elvis aviator sunglasses thing is popular with the kids right now. Type of animal doesn't matter to them. This look was sported in some movie recently.

suzanne Aug 3rd, 2005 01:24 PM

80s fashion is definitely coming back. Scary. Somebody please shoot me if I start feathering my hair again.