Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LA to SFO with Kids for 3 days in August - Please Help with planning (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/la-to-sfo-with-kids-for-3-days-in-august-please-help-with-planning-1117000/)

vjose Jul 6th, 2016 08:12 AM

LA to SFO with Kids for 3 days in August - Please Help with planning

Hi All,

Good day.

We, 3 adults and 3 kids (6,7, and 12 years) after our Disney Land & LA visits will be driving back to our SFO base in Fremont.Our original plan was to take the coastal road (Hwy1).We will be based in Glendale for LA part

It is late to plan, however we would like to change that plan a bit and include Sequoia NP and try to include all those coast too. Appreciate if you could help with the driving plans and places to stay. Where to base our selves? Is 1 day each would be a better approach?

July 31 -
Drive Glendale - Bakers Field - Sequoia NP
Overnight stay -Fresno or Visalia

Aug 1 -
Drive to Paso Robles
Visit San Luis Obispo
Morro bay,Cambria,Hearst Castle
Paso Robles - Overnight stay

Aug 2 -
Big Sur
Carmel
Monterey
Pacific Grove - Overnight Stay

Aug 3 -
Visit Santa Cruz
Drive to Fremont

Thanks

janisj Jul 6th, 2016 08:56 AM

Bad plan :(

Glendale to SNP to Fresno is more than a 5 hour drive w/o stops -- so w/ just 3 hours in Sequoia NP plus meals you are talking a 9-10 hour day.

Then on the 1st you have 4.5 hours 'car time' plus Hearst Castle and other stops so another 9-10 hour day.

The 2nd and 3rd are OK . . .

DebbieDoesDulles Jul 6th, 2016 09:29 AM

Aug 1.
Don't go to Paso Robles after visiting SLO and Morro Bay and Hearst Castle, that makes no sense. Once you're at the coast, stay there and then head further up the coast next morning. Why do a 50min drive back to Paso Robles and then again from PR to the coast next morning? It makes no sense.

jamie99 Jul 6th, 2016 12:03 PM

Paso Robles will be very hot, OK to visit a couple of wineries but stay on the coast, maybe Pismo Beach or Morro Bay.
Hearst Castle takes about 2 hours for a tour, it is best to reserve for a tour and get to the Visitors Center 15 minutes early.

vjose Jul 7th, 2016 01:19 AM

Thanks janisj. I guess there is no easy way to do SNP or we need to drop it. I was thinking to leave early, 7AM from Glendale and assuming less traffic on a Sunday. Stop for Breakfast at Bakersfield then to SNP. Leave SNP in the evening to Fresno to just sleep over.Leave early from Fresno to Paso Robles.Yes it will be many hours of driving but hoping to get a 5 hour at SNP.

Thanks DebbieDoesDulles,jamie99. Will find some place at the coast.

Is there any way we could skip Fresno and instead stopover at Kettleman city. Does this make sense

From Glendale I-5 then CA-198 to SNP
From SNP CA-198 W, CA-41 to Kettleman city

vjose Jul 7th, 2016 05:42 AM

What is the the best timings for Hearst Castle Tours- considering the summer. Is The Grand Rooms Tour is the one I should be looking to

janisj Jul 7th, 2016 06:10 AM

Kettleman City is an arm pit (as is Fresno)

You can see redwoods (different ones than in Sequoia but just as impressive) in Big Sur, and in the mountains just outside of Santa Cruz. Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park is a great stop on your way to Fremont.

OK -- to be a devils advocate -- I love San Simeon/Hearst Castle (some posting on Fodors don't) . . . But your two youngest kids might be a little too young to appreciate it. You know them better than I do (of course :) ) and they might be quite sophisticated for their ages.

The gorgeous outdoor pool is empty, the view might be fogged over, etc.

I think adding that time to places like Point Lobos and the Monterey Aquarium might be better. And visit Henry Cowell instead of Sequoia NP.

vjose Jul 7th, 2016 06:28 AM

Any suggestions on the below in terms of location and activities

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1308401...s=4&s=xbA9fmNH

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4059274...s=6&s=aIORTKVD

vjose Jul 7th, 2016 06:42 AM

Thanks again janisj. Will keep your points on SNP.
I thought Hearst Castle was a must do and only a problem if the view is foggy.Kids are ok for their ages. :) so much that they wont be complain for 2 to 3 hours.

Point Lobos is in our list but we will give a miss to Monterey Aquarium as we have seen many big and small ones.

DebbieDoesDulles Jul 7th, 2016 09:34 AM

Your original plan to go up the coast is a better one. Leave Glendale at 9:30am after the slowest morning traffic, and head to Santa Barbara. Take a hike in the hills, visit the wharf, stroll State Street, photos from the Courthouse roof etc, and visit the Mission. Next day schedule a late Hearst tour after visiting Pismo Beach/Avila Beach on the way.

As far as those AirB&b links are concerned, don't backtrack to Morro Bay after Hearst Castle. That's 40 minutes south, then 40 minutes northbound next morning. If you can find availability, stay in Cambria or San Simeon that evening.