Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   La Super Rica Taco Stand - Santa Barbara (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/la-super-rica-taco-stand-santa-barbara-105272/)

Tammy Feb 10th, 2001 10:58 AM

La Super Rica Taco Stand - Santa Barbara

Can someone help me out with directions to La Super Rica Taco Stand in Santa Barbara? I'm going to be driving up to Cambria and Morro Bay from LA and have always heard great things about the place, but could never find it. Also any suggestions on the best items to order? Thanks!!!

xxx Feb 10th, 2001 02:08 PM

Here's the info from Zagat's: <BR> <BR>622 N. Milpas St. (Alphonse St.) Santa Barbara, CA, 93103-3032 (805) 963-4940 <BR> <BR>With such a "cult-like following", it's not surprising that many surveyors are happy to "drive through SB just to stop" and wait in a "long line" at this "cheap" Mexican "dump" for its "super" south-of-the-border eats (like handmade tortillas, quesadillas and sopas); aesthetes, however, should brace themselves for "basic" digs with "no air conditioning." <BR> <BR>Unfortunately that still doesn't help with directions unless you know your way around Santa Barbara. Also who knows how the parking is in the area.

Tom Feb 10th, 2001 03:57 PM

Is this place worth a stop on my drive down to LA from SF?

Sam Feb 11th, 2001 10:13 AM

Sounds like a great stop for my trip through Santa Barbara next week. Anyone able to help with directions? How's parking? Am I going to have to pay for parking in one of the lots and walk for miles?

Sam Feb 11th, 2001 09:38 PM

Anyone?

Nick Feb 12th, 2001 08:21 AM

Place sounds great. I'd be curious if anyone has any recommendations on the best items.

lisa Feb 12th, 2001 10:00 AM

This place was one of the culinary highlights of our drive up the coast in July 1999! Yes, it is just a tiny little taco stand with no sign, and no ambience. But it is so good! Julia Child eats there sometimes. We stopped at the tourist office in Santa Barbara and got a map, and that's how we found it. The tourist office was easy to find from the hwy -- signs direct you right to it. The items at La Super-Rica are small so get at least 2 per person. You can watch them making the tortillas while you wait for your food. Make sure you try some of the salsas they have out in the eating area in the condiment containers, but go easy because some of them are HOT. Also, they have a nice little beer selection that goes great with the food.

Nick Feb 12th, 2001 10:25 AM

Is this place really so tough to find that you need to go to the tourist board to find it?

Toni Feb 12th, 2001 11:23 AM

La Super-Rica <BR>Address: 622 North Milpas <BR>Directions: exit off the 101 at Milpas and the stand is 6 1/2 blocks north of the frwy. <BR>hours are 11-9 daily <BR>Plenty of parking on the street or lot <BR>phone 805-963-4940

Tim Feb 15th, 2001 04:21 PM

I tried this place over the weekend after all of the recommendations I've seen on this site. Just my humble opinion, but I thought it was over-rated. I've had much better taco stand food across our beautiful state of California. One of my favorites is Cha Cha's in Redlands on my way up to ski in Big Bear. The carne asada tacos are great.

Norma Feb 15th, 2001 04:23 PM

I would have to agree with Tim that this place is over-rated on this site. I've stopped there a few times on my way up to the Central Coast and have found the meat to be a little on the tough side and often too much fatty pieces in my tacos. The salsa is hot, which is the positive side of stopping here. I would recommend Julio's in Morro Bay - great food and very friendly help.

Tony Feb 15th, 2001 09:28 PM

I got suckered into getting off the freeway and driving all the way up to this place last year. Parking was non-existent the day I was there and I didn't feel safe parking my car too far back on the side streets. <BR> <BR>The food was ok, but nothing worth making a special trip for. Lisa - if this was the highlight of your trip, then I feel bad about all of the great food you missed out on while in California.

Christy Feb 16th, 2001 07:57 AM

While the sauce is hot and tasty, the food was so-so. Lots of fatty meat which isn't to my liking. I think that there are some better places out there for authentic Mexican food. <BR> <BR>Like one of the previous posters, I've been to Julio's in MB and really enjoyed it.

lisa Feb 16th, 2001 09:54 AM

Maybe it has gone downhill in the past year and a half. <BR> <BR>And Tony -- we ate at some wonderful restaurants on our drive up Hwy. 1, including Cielo at Ventana in Big Sur, and Robin's in Cambria (both of which were great) -- but we both agreed La Super-Rica was one of our favorite meals of the trip. <BR> <BR>That was a while ago though, so who knows...places can change.

John Feb 20th, 2001 12:01 AM

I've had the opportunity to eat at this place around once a year for the past 5 years. My wife insists on stopping there each year on our annual drive up the coast. While she loves it, I have to agree with many of the other posters who believe that there are better taco stands out there. La Super Rica is ok, but nothing to go out of your way for.

Diane Apr 27th, 2001 11:42 AM

Upon the recommendation of so many Fodorites, we stopped at this taco stand last weekend on our way back home from Cambria. While the food was ok, I definitely wouldn't go out of my way again to get off the freeway and find parking. The hot sauce was hot, which was good, but there was only one typew of sauce available that day. And tacos were ok, but nothing out of the ordinary if you're used to good Mexican food in Southern California. While it wasn't a bad experience, it wasn't all that it's been built up to be.

Janna Jun 30th, 2002 08:30 AM

We tried this place last week while out visiting friends in Ventura. Mayb e I'm missing something, but it wasn't a place I'd bother going back to for a meal. The neighborhood was less than appealing and the food was mediocre. Downtown Santa Barbara, however, was beautiful.

joesorce Jun 30th, 2002 08:42 AM

For years and years this was THE place to go for authentic Mexican. But with the "Poquito Mas" chain, and even "Baja Fresh" type outfits all over the state, La Super Rica is not quite the "find" that it used to be. <BR>Years ago I can remember it was either "Taco Bell" or nothing. Now we have many more decent choices.