Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LA - Knotts Berry Farm or Six Flags Magic Mountain with children aged 8 and 5?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying 3 nights in LA as part of a flydrive tour of CA. We have been to Universal and Disney in Florida so will skip them this trip. Any opinions on which theme park to visit out of Knotts Berry or Magic Mountain (or neither?) with two boys who will be nearer 9 and 6 when we visit. We will probably be staying somewhere between LAX and the Santa Monica/Hollywood regions so either park will be accessable. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:29 AM

While we've never been to Magic Mountain, we've been to Knotts Berry Farm several times. We LOVE it!!! Maybe we've been lucky, but we've never experienced any crowds/lines at this theme park. It is well suited to children under age 10. Very "wholesome" type atmosphere. Beautifully landscaped. Lots of shade. I think children over age 10 or so may be a bit bored with Knotts as there are few rides/roller coaster for the older crowds. Good luck!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hedgehog,
Living in L.A., we've been to both with kids many, many times. Magic Mountain is geared more for older kids and adults -- there's a lot of rides that your children will be too small to go on (and maybe too scary for them).

Knotts has Camp Snoopy, an area devoted to rides for young children, and most of their rides are oriented for kids of all ages.

So, I'd say knotts, hands down, and don't forget to treat the kids with their boysenberry pie or funnel cake!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Magic Mountain is roller coaster heaven but they have height restrictions. This may relegate you to other parts of the property. It also can be very hot there in the summer. Here's a link to see if Magic Mountain is for you http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicmountain/home.asp.

Knotts is very family oriented and we've had fun there in the past. Your kids seem like just the right age for it.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM

While we've never been to Magic Mountain, we've been to Knotts Berry Farm several times. We LOVE it!!! Maybe we've been lucky, but we've never experienced any crowds/lines at this theme park. It is well suited to children under age 10. Very "wholesome" type atmosphere. Beautifully landscaped. Lots of shade. I think children over age 10 or so may be a bit bored with Knotts as there are few rides/roller coaster for the older crowds. Good luck!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:42 AM

I have been going to Knott's Berry Farm since people used to go just for the chicken dinner and berry pie. It is a much better choice when you have the younger children.

They also have nice rides for the more adventuresome. It is not crowded if you get there early. Last time we went we got there at opening, rode all the major rides at least once, and were able to leave at 3:00 PM and beat the rush hour.

When the kids get older and if they really like roller coasters, then Magic Mountain is a great choice.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:15 AM

I would say Knotts.

We went to Magic Mountain last year and those rides are quite intense. Too much so for younger children.
I've been to a lot of amusement parks around the country, but they definitely take the cake for extreme rides.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:57 PM

I'd say definitely Knotts, and go early in the day when the animals in the petting zoo are rarin' to entertain.

My two boys that age would say it would be well worth the extra hour drive to Legoland, however.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:37 AM
m367

Another vote for Knotts for children 9 and 6. I live near Magic Mountain and it's a great place. Knotts is more of a family park. Enjoy the day at Knotts, along with the chicken dinner and boysenberry pie ala mode.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Knotts Berry it is
message: joesource, thanks for the advice about Legoland but as we live in the UK we have already been fortunate enough to visit the Legoland Park here.
Thanks again