Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LA for a day (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/la-for-a-day-155899/)

kelly Feb 6th, 2002 09:25 AM

LA for a day

We'll be in San Diego for a week, but plan to go to LA for a day trip while we're there. I'm estimating that it is about a 2 hour drive to get to LA? If I was going to spend the day there, does anyone have any recommendations for what to see/do? We've never been to LA, so I was thinking of checking out someplace on the coastline, then heading to Hollywood and Beverly Hills. This might be "toursity", but considering we only have one day I figure that this is the LA that we'd want to see. Someone had recommended Disneyland, but for 1 day I'm thinking otherwise. Does this plan sound OK?

tt Feb 6th, 2002 09:29 AM

ttt

xxx Feb 6th, 2002 10:16 AM

if seeing the holleywood sign or walking "on the stars" is a big deal for you go for it. personally i found the whole "beverly hills" "hollywood" thing VERY disappointing. driving in l.a. is nerve racking - plan your travelling times well.<BR>personally, the only reason i go to l.a. is for disneyland. it is about 2 hours from san diego. going further into l.a. means more traffic jams. <BR>if you are looking to get out of san diego for a day, a nice drive is going inland to the wild animal park, spend several hours there, cut over to the coast and spend a sunet & dinner in laguna beach - beautiful. then drive back down the coast.

Native Feb 6th, 2002 10:37 AM

Dear xxx,<BR><BR>Just to set the record straight, Disneyland is in Anaheim, not LA.<BR><BR>Native

Barbara Feb 6th, 2002 11:21 AM

kelly, that sounds like fun! Even though I live in San Diego, I've never done those things in LA. When I go up there, it's usually on business so I'm either in offices downtown or on the Westside. A day trip taking in Santa Monica, maybe having lunch there, then going to other areas as you suggested would be fun. Take your time about driving back to San Diego, perhaps you could have dinner somewhere before heading back. That way you'll miss the evening rush hour. The freeway traffic in LA is heavy all the time, so make sure you have a good map and/or directions to where you want to go and be prepared for the flow of traffic to stop all of a sudden for no apparent reason. Use the car pool lanes as much as you can. Have a great time in San Diego, too!

kam Feb 6th, 2002 11:37 AM

A couple suggestions: how about Venice Beach combined with Santa Monica. Have dinner in Santa Monica and dont plan to leave until about 8 pm. Another destination would be the classic So.Cal beach town of Laguna Beach. Wonderful beach, art galleries, little restaurants and beach people. You could combine that with Balboa Island in Newport Beach if you wanted still more. I agree that Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive are pretty much nothing, but understand that Hollywood is undergoing a revival--maybe someone who currently lives there can help (we moved from LA 6 years ago) To see old LA you might want to go to Pasadena and then see the wonderful art museums--the Huntington Library and the Norton Simon. Your drive from San Diego should take 2-3 hours depending on what day and what time and where in LA you are going. Just have a plan in mind--don't just wander around in traffic and waste your day.

kelly Feb 6th, 2002 12:23 PM

Thanks for your responses. My list of things to do while on vacation keeps getting longer. They all sound like great ideas. Hopefully we can do half the things I'd like to do!

Alisa Feb 6th, 2002 08:51 PM

Hi Kelly,<BR><BR>Welcome to LA. What are you planning to do in San Diego. Let us know so you can do something different in LA. <BR><BR>What do you like? Museums, shopping, sightseeing. What do you not want to miss?<BR><BR>I will be happy to make some suggestions. The main thing is to minimize the driving.<BR><BR><BR>

kelly Feb 7th, 2002 09:23 AM

I think my big debate is Hollywood or Disneyland while in LA. There are plenty of things I'd love to do if I had more than a day to spend. San Diego will be the zoo, wild animal park, Sea World, beaches, etc. I'm planning on going to a Laker game the night I'm in LA, so I'd be looking for something to do until then. Thanks in advance.

Alisa Feb 7th, 2002 10:23 PM

Hi Kelly,<BR><BR>Lakers--cool!<BR><BR>Unfortunately, there is no possible way to do Disneyland and the Laker game. Disneyland is in Anaheim, at least an hour drive to Staples Center, that's with no traffic. So forget that. Anyways, you will be going to theme parks in San Diego.<BR><BR>Laker games usually start at 7:30pm-unless it is a weekend. So check your tickets.<BR><BR>Drive up early--if it is a weekday--you will hit traffic. Estimate 2-3 hours. <BR><BR>Places to go during the day:<BR><BR><BR>Take Sunset Blvd from the 405 freeway into Hollywood. It is a nice drive, past lots of mansions, past all the Hollywood billboards. I know that Hollywood is being revitalized, but there is not much to see and it is still pretty grungy. Go to the Mann's Chinese Theater maybe walk around a bit. Give yourself an hour or two to walk around.<BR><BR>Grab some coffee and jump back into the car. Drive to Beverly Hills and go down Rodeo Drive--(check your map--you can head down to Santa Monica Blvd and drive into Beverly Hills). <BR> <BR>You could then drive to Santa Monica. Park in one of the lots near third street and go to the Third Street Promenade. There are lots of shops and restaurants to browse/eat at and you can get a look at the boardwalk and the beach. Spend some time relaxing. maybe get an early dinner before driving to Staples for the game. The food at Staples is not great--unless you have premiere seats. Where are you sitting?<BR><BR>Then head out to the game. You will love it. Staples is down the 10 freeway which starts in Santa Monica. <BR><BR>Tell me what day you will be here--it will make a difference. Is there anything that you MUST see in Hollywood or Beverly Hills? Any museums you want to see? Type of food you like? Price range? Do you have kids with you? <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

kelly Feb 8th, 2002 06:55 AM

Alisa,<BR> Thanks so much for all the great tips. The Laker game is on a weeknight, so traffic will probably be an issue. How long of a trip would Santa Monica to the Staples Center be? I'll plan for worst case scenario. My seats are in the upper level, so I figure it would be best to get a nice dinner before the game. As for Hollywood and Beverly Hills, the only "must sees" are the Hollywood sign and the overall atmosphere of someplace so unique. Not looking for anything more than taking in the sights and driving down one of those streets lined with palm trees! No kids with us. Thanks again.

Alisa Feb 8th, 2002 02:18 PM

1 1/2 hrs. to get you to Staples will give you plenty of time.<BR><BR>Go for a nice dinner in Santa Monica.