Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

La Fonda or Inn on the Alameda in Santa Fe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I (early 60s) are staying in Santa Fe for several nights in April. I’m torn between staying at La Fonda or the Inn on the Alameda. Is there a reason to choose one or the other? We can get a somewhat better deal at the Inn. We will spend most of our time in SF, as we’ve already been to Taos and Bandelier.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 06:32 AM

I would stay at La Fonda.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 07:34 AM

A similar question came up a couple of months ago. We are partial to Inn on the Alameda. However, La Fonda's location right on the Plaza is excellent, and the lobby/restaurant/public amenities are worthwhile. If we had the choice, we'd stay at the Inn and walk down to the Plaza if the deal was better. Either would be a great choice.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I decided to stay in the Inn of the Five Graces. I hope I won't think I was stupid.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 08:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I stayed four nights at La fonda, on a 'girls' getaway' trip last year. All five of us loved the hotel.
Its history is interesting, along with its art collection. The hotel offers a free tour, which is worthwhile, even if you don't stay there.
Service is spectacular. The restaurant is very good. Location unbeatable. It's worth a few more dollars, although I found a very good price through hotels.com.
I got emails, notifying me when the price had dropped, and I took advantage of it.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 03:54 PM

I’ve stayed at both La Fonda (“LF”) and Inn on the Alameda (“Inn”). I’ve also stayed at Inn of the Five Graces (Five”).

LF is right on the square whereas Inn is a short walk from the square. Inn has an evening wine and cheese reception and includes breakfast whereas LF does not. Rooms are a little bigger at LF unless you upgrade at the Inn. Parking is free at Inn whereas valet only at LF FO $30 per night as of last month.

Five DH and I stayed at years ago before it became so upscale. So I probably shouldn’t even say I was there recently. When we stayed we found it a little gloomy on the interior.

So either LF or Inn are nice. I would pick either but I would do a room upgrade your room for more space at the Inn.

Plaza Cafe across the square had a good breakfast if you stay at LF. I was not impressed with their breakfast.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I currently have reservations at both, but unless the price drops at LF, we’ll go with the Inn. I’ll let you know.