Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

La Coquina Sunday Brunch (Grand Cypress Orlando FL) - Attire?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Shaun

La Coquina @ Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort FL.

We are visiting Orlando shortly and would like to have sunday brunch at La Coquina (Read some good reviews online)

We have a few questions:
1. Attire (Men & Women)
2. We will be there mid august - Are reservations a must?
3. Best time to go/make reservation for?
4. Has anyone any personal feedback - Is it worth the expense.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 09:44 AM
susan

Hello

My family and I are looking for similar info

Susan

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Brian McLaughlin

Can't comment personally on La Coquina - we went to the Renaissance Orlando Resort last year and are going again in September.
We went with 2 children, and thought about La Coquina for this trip - but it seems too formal for our needs.
ROR was perfect for us - unlimited champgne, fantastic choice of food, music at the tables,and the kids were made welcome even when 'touring' the hotel!! $29 + tips

http://www.go2orlando.com/ Gives a good review on La Coquina.

From review - "This fine dining room strongly encourages reservations and jackets. Long pants and collared shirts are required for gentlemen." $38.00.

It also sounds fantastic, but we felt it is more suited to an 'older' crowd - who wouldn't take to our nieces running around

Have a great meal wherever you go.

Brian

Sunny Scotland - Home of golf

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:11 AM
OO

I've been (my normal disclaimer, my husband is a Hyatt GM, but not at that hotel and I believe I'm objective--nothing for us to gain by furthering them!) and was thoroughly surprised by the high quality of the restaurant. It's excellent. I've only been for dinner, so can't comment on dress for brunch there, but for our hotel, a 4*, similar to Grand Cypress and also in Florida, so similar dress codes, it is "nice casual". Slacks, nice collared shirt. Jacket and tie not necessary for daytime, especially in the summer, though you may see some men with jackets on. I'd wear a sundress or nice slacks. It's an upscale restaurant. I would recommend reservations, yes.

Plenty of families stay at Grand Cypress, and you'll also find children at the brunch, but I agree with Brian...that restaurant isn't the sort where the kids could be doing "self-guided tours". gt;

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Shaun

Brian do you have to make reservatons for the Sunday brunch at Renaissance Orlando Resort?

And what is the best time to go?

Thanks

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Brian McLaughlin

Shaun,
We've just booked for September 22nd - didn't want to take any chances of missing it. I'd certainly recommend reservations.

For us, 5 adults and 2 kids, the whole day was an unforgettable experience. There may be more upmarket options, but with the young 'uns in tow we couldn't fault the place. We've booked for 12 midday - roll on that unlimited champagne!!

Here's a review and a link to another.

Brian

BEST SUNDAY BRUNCH:
Renaissance, Orlando Resort at SeaWorld, 6677 Sea Harbor Drive, 407-351-5555

Sure, you have your standard Sunday mimosa brunches, peppered with light bearnaise fare and bubbled with slight champagne hiccups. Then you have the Renaissance Sunday brunch, where every sense finds its due indulgence in a tastebud battle that could easily end with a stretcher and a whimper. Appropriate to the adjacent whale park, the chefs at Renaissance spare no expense in crafting every possible food appropriate to every time of day, except you only have a couple of hours to experience it all: lamb, seafood, sushi … oh, and eggs. What's more, the waiters hover -- almost maliciously -- with bottles and bottles and bottles of bubbly to make sure that every last perfectly sick ingestion is lubricated with regret-free intoxication. It all comes at a cost under $30, too. You could spend that on a bottle and a McMuffin. You shouldn't.

http://www.tasteweb.net/Arc_Grt_Find...ce_Orlando.htm

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:52 AM
DeeDee

Yes, please dress nicely and make reservations. It is a Sunday Brunch so a) It will be busy and b)People will be coming directly from Church. Yes, locals eat here also.