Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LA Area Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/la-area-lodging-725745/)

Holbrook56 Aug 2nd, 2007 03:35 AM

LA Area Lodging

Our trip brings us to LA from San Diego, staying 3 nights at Hermosa Beach and then 2 nights in LA.
The hotel reviews are scaring me. We are traveling on a budget and I have booked Hampton Inn at Hermosa Beach and then the Comfort Inn on N. Highland so we can walk to local attractions.
I am not expecting the Ritz for a Super 8 price but I would like clean, decent and safe.
Your help has been wonderful in the past.
If these locations are bad would you please suggest alternatives.
Thank you.

clarkgriswold Aug 2nd, 2007 06:45 AM

The location of the Comfort Inn is convenient, especially if you are going to the Hollywood Bowl one night. It is a high-traffic and busy area, about two long blocks walk down to Hollywood Blvd and the Walk of Fame. Late at night, a woman might not enjoy the walk alone, but there are always a lot of walkers in the area. The main caution would be to walk carefully, pay attention to the crosswalk walk-lights etc, be on your toes here. The hotel is fairly new and gets mediocre reviews for its tiny swimming pool and tight parking, parking I think is $8 extra and might be touchy with a huge SUV. HotelCelebrity.com is often recommended as an area alternative. Is there a reason you picked Hollywood for your 2 night stay? Kinda hot & muggy this time of year compared to the beach areas.

Holbrook56 Aug 2nd, 2007 11:05 AM

Thank you for responding.
I planned to stay in town the last two nights in order to be out and about to walk to the local spots. I am staying at Hermosa Beach 3 days prior and in Old Town in San Diego the first two nights.
Is it an easy commute to get to Mann's if we were to stay at a beach location, or just stay in Hermosa?
Having never been to CA, as a vacationer I love to walk around, not drive everywhere, to immerse myself into the culture. IF you feel it is better to stay elsewhere I would appreciate that as well.
What would be at the Hollywood Bowl?
The specific review I read about the Comfort Inn hotel was possible bed bugs.

MBnancy Aug 2nd, 2007 01:47 PM

The Hampton Inn in Hermosa is clean, decent and safe. It is facing a busy street, but you will enjoy the weather and the beach nearby, which is probably why you booked in Hermosa Beach.

clarkgriswold Aug 2nd, 2007 04:42 PM

The commute from Hermosa isn't bad if its Fri and Sat . Weekdays you'd really have to sit out the traffic.

If you're leaving from LAX on the final morning, Hermosa is definitely convenient so I'd just stay there.

Personally I don't think there's much for vacationers up in Hollywood. It's worth an afternoon, that's it.

stumpworks73 Aug 2nd, 2007 04:50 PM

I am a frequent guest at the Hampton Hermosa. I second clean decent and safe. Although on a busy street, noise is not a problem. If you enjoy comedy; the Comedy and Magic Club at Hermosa is a few blocks away. Leno and Romano perform almost weekly. Great stuff. Nearby Redondo beach is my favorite pier in SoCal. Beautiful beach path. You will not be disappointed.

Holbrook56 Aug 3rd, 2007 03:48 AM

Thank you so much.
Fortunately I booked the Hermosa Beach Friday to departure day on Wed. So I can cancel the nights in Hollywood and just go for a visit.

joesorce Aug 3rd, 2007 06:13 AM

i think that Clark meant to say "Sat and Sun" rather than "Fri and Sat". I'd hang in Hermosa on Fri & Mon, but do all my driving/excursions on Sat & Sun when traffic is lighter and when the beach is more hectic. Sunday morning especially, you would have an easy drive up to Hollywood or in to the Tar Pits, Bev Hills or wherever the road takes you.

DeniceRG Aug 3rd, 2007 06:52 AM

The Hollywood Bowl is a great thing to do here on a summer night. check out their web page www.hollywoodbowl.com as to the schedule. Also, check out the shuttle services, there might be one from the Hermosa Beach area, which is worth the few dollars it costs to avoid driving yourself, and the stacked parking.