Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LA accommodation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/la-accommodation-871082/)

purplegirl Dec 28th, 2010 07:41 PM

LA accommodation

Hi,
I'm after some assistance deciding on our LA accommodation for next March. I'll be travelling with my husband and two year old and we're planning two nights in LA (after our arrival from Australia) before heading down to San Diego for a few days.
I've narrowed down our choices to three places in Santa Monica - Channel Road Inn, the Ambrose Hotel or the Huntley Hotel. We're arriving in the morning so will probably book a room for three nights and these places will all be within $700 - $800 for the three nights.
We usually prefer smaller, more boutique places, located where we can walk to shops, restaurants etc. Originally I was planning that we would use taxis or public transport in LA and then catch the train to San Diego (where we would hire a car), but looking at hotel costs etc I'm thinking that maybe we should hire a car to use in LA and drive to San Diego.
Any assistance would be great - I like the look of each of these places for different reasons and can't pick one!
Thanks,
purplegirl

qwovadis Dec 29th, 2010 05:02 AM

Congrats on your trip

www.betterbidding.com for lots better

4 star properties at lots less than what you are looking at.

Recently for me the Westin Bonaventure $69/nt

bidding Priceline...

www.carrentals.com for cheap car rentals one way LAX SAN

better way to go for area xport nice drive down the coast...

Happy Journey,

sf7307 Dec 29th, 2010 07:51 AM

FWIW, you aren't guaranteed anything more than a room for two people when you book on Priceline. If the hotel doesn't have a rollaway or crib, you could all be sharing one bed.

mlgb Dec 29th, 2010 10:24 AM

Strange, my response never posted. I had said that of the three the Huntley has the best location.

Bonaventure is not what you are looking for.

You don't need a car for just hanging out in Santa Monica. You might rent one and keep it while in San Diego, especially if you are going to the zoo, etc.

Not sure about the one way charges if you are not returning to LA, though.

tracys2cents Dec 29th, 2010 10:31 AM

The Ambrose is nice but not really walking distance to much, unless you don't mind walking five or six long blocks.

There is an Avis in Santa Monica near Broadway that usually has rates much lower than LAX airport...not sure about their rates one-way to San Diego or LAX however. You may need to rent a child carseat if you aren't traveling with one.

purplegirl Dec 31st, 2010 07:03 PM

Thanks for the comments!
We will be returning to LA after San Diego so will probably be returning the hire car but will look into those hire places.
Cheers.

wbrown Jan 1st, 2011 04:27 PM

If you're planning to go to the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park, consider getting a membership to the zoo before you go. It can work out to be cheaper than buying individual tix, especially since most memberships come with "guest" tix, so not everyone in the family would need to be a member. Also, as a member you get in more quickly because you don't have to wait in general lines. We did this twice -- a trip last year and one about 15 years ago -- and were glad we did.

millie2112 Jan 3rd, 2011 12:20 AM

Have you tried the embassy hotel apartments.
http://www.embassyhotelapts.com/
my daughter stayed here and said they were great.

Erin74 Jan 4th, 2011 02:12 PM

I'm familiar with all three hotels and would definitely choose The Huntley. No question. It's convenient to Santa Monica sights and just a really fabulous, nicely-decorated hotel. If you're getting a good rate there, go for it. It's normally a big spendy.

I agree with those who suggest having a car in L.A. and then driving to San Diego. I think that's easiest, especially with 2-year in old traveling with you. Dragging your car seat in and out of cabs gets old fast (been there, done that). The train is a pleasant ride and fun for a little one, but having a car might be easier all around.