L'Enfant Plaza in DC - your thoughts pls

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told that the L'Enfant Plaza is located on top of a metro stop, as in literally go downstairs at the hotel into the station. It also looks to be one of the most well located hotels for the sights in which we are most interested: Smithsonians, Capitol, Mall, a couple of monuments. Am I right on this?

Can anyone tell me of other specific hotels that are as well located to the metro as L'Enfant? Due to physical limitations, I need to be as close as possible. Since walking is a bit of a problem, I want to be close to the major sights as well. Also wouldn't mind something a little less expensive. I don't want much, do I?

Thanks for any assistance/info anyone can give me.

PS: I have checked the Stationmasters site and Google Maps, but I have a hard time judging the distance, as in not sure how big a block is, etc.
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM

L'Enfant is close to Mall but in a dead area (mostly govt. office)at night.

Plenty of hotels are close to stops. For example, the Grand Hyatt is linked to the Metro Center stop and the Metro Center Marriott is a short half block as well. The Monaco is kitty-corner from Gallery Place/Chinatown as is a very nice Courtyard in a historic old bank (although different exits.)

Old May 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks repete. I'll check on availability/price at your recommendations.

Anyone else know of some specific hotels super close to metro stops?
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM

I've stayed at L'enfant Plaza and we loved it -
no, it is not in the middle of a hot night spot, - but quite frankly, after touring all day, and we started right after breakfast, - we were ready to go home after dinner or after a show (Kennedy Center)

and we did that my either metro or taxi

Sometimes, we planned our day so we 'd have breakfast, walk to Holocaust Museum, have snack, walk say the Mall or do one of the museums, have dinner and be ready to head back to hotel

Some days we did things near the hotel in the morning and afternoon, then had a n hour rest or so in the hotel and then headed to something further from the hotel and had dinner there and then returned

So if you want nearby nightlife you can walk home from, it probably isn't the location for you - unless we had a show , we were in bed early, read, catch an hour of tv, plan our next day, and get up early too !
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Just to clarify ... I'm not talking "night spots" but dining options and just general ambiance.

L'Enfant has very little of either. When the government workers leave at 5 very little is even open for blocks.

I'm not a clubber, but I like stepping out of a hotel where you can walk to a variety of good dining options. Can't do it at L'Enfant.

The places I mentioned where right in the midst of those, especially the Gallery Place stops which is in the heart of the one of (if not THE) best dining scenes ... Penn Quarter. Plus, there's Chinatown as well.

But the Gallery Place stop is also adjacent to both the Portrait and Spy museums, a couple of blocks from Ford's Theatre (under renovation) and two Red Line stops from Union Station.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. I should have been more specific myself in that I'm not a clubber, but a mom bringing my 14 year old son on a very last minute trip. I'm looking for safety at night and the closest proximity to a metro station is good for that as well as cutting down on the walking.

I got such a deal on the L'Enfant that I decided to take it ($180/night for 5 nights) with the rationalization that with the metro, we can dine in any part of the city that strikes our fancy!
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM

crepes,

I agree w/ repete- L'Enfant is not a choice area. Vacations bases need at least SOME ambience and L'Enfant has zero. I've seen you around on the Europe board and can tell you the L'Enfant area is NOT for you.

I can recommend Courtyard Marriott Convention Center or (more upscale) the Monaco. Both are in a great neighborhood (Penn Quarter) and steps (50?) from the Metro.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ention-center/

http://www.monaco-dc.com/

Another possibility is Jury's Washington - two very short blocks to Dupont Metro (Q St. entrance). Dupont is also a good home base neighborhood.

If you want a quieter, residential area but still close to restaurants, the Capitol Hill Suites is one longish block to Capitol South Metro. It's a very pleasant area in a historical neighborhood with dining, cafes, nearby parks, etc., and one block to the Library of Congress.

http://www.capitolhillsuites.com/
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Whoops! Too late...
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM

As an aside has anyone who lives around here ever wondered why the Mandarin Oriental located at L'Enfant in that "dead zone?"
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM

At 7 bills a night, I'm guessing most of the Mandarin guests get all they need right in the hotel ... and use car service when they're not chowing at CityZen ....

But it's too bad they can't get a little more mixed development in there.

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM

I know what everyone is saying, and I am a particular traveler - but L'enfant was so incredibly accomodating while we were there - the last time I stayed there, we were 8 girls for a ladies weekend -

our room was gorgeous, immaculate, beautiful with a magnicent view of the city -

I think hotel location/ambiance is more important for some vacations than others, for those that are mostly touring vacations, and I am hardly in my hotel, I don't always feel that is true.

the L'Enfant staff bent over backwards - having the metro and some quick shops downstairs was convenient -

we walked and got our ambiance in whatever area we ate dinner, a different one each night, and had no complaints starting our day or ending it with coffee/drink at L'enfant -

I think it will be fine for you and your son - bring bathing suit if he likes a swim -

I know what everyone means about other choices - I've stayed in many other hotels in DC, and I worked in DC for several years - but the L'enfant is convenient for some sights, and the staff is great, and sometimes the price is right too !

I've never eaten dinner in the hotel, but have had several excellent lunches -

enjoy - let us know how it works out for you -

tell them it is a special trip for the two of you - when the ladies went they upgraded all of us !
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
LN

Hotel sounds good - rate sounds good. Perhaps you'd like to take the Gray Line sightseeing bus around where you can get off and on at the various sites. That could assist your walking. There also have one at night where you can see all the monuments lit.

Enjoy!!
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Tess

We stayed there some years ago with our then 7 and 10 year olds. It was perfect for our family, because the metro stop was just so handy. The hotel had a wonderful rooftop pool where we'd cool off in the heat of the day while taking a 'sightseeing break' and the rooms were beautiful and spacious.

For our family, being in the heart of the action wasn't important on that trip since, as another poster pointed out, the hotel was our rest and relaxation place after hectic days.