Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   L.A. to San Francisco via I-5: Mid-way hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/l-a-to-san-francisco-via-i-5-mid-way-hotel-796228/)

LosAngeles90004 Jul 18th, 2009 09:03 AM

L.A. to San Francisco via I-5: Mid-way hotel?

I will be driving to the Bay Area from Los Angeles with my husband and little girl in August. One the way up we will go on the beautiful coastal route but on the way back we would like to go on the quicker Interstate 5. We don't want to do the drive all in one day but haven't identified anywhere to stay mid-way that hasn't gotten awful reviews. Any suggestions?

dbdurand Jul 18th, 2009 09:27 AM

Yes. Take US 101 instead. It's fast, although a few miles longer than I-5, and it's more scenic than I-5. (Just about anything is). Plenty of places to stay along this Royal Road (El Camino Real). San Luis Obispo would be good.

PeaceOut Jul 18th, 2009 09:35 AM

Yes, 101 was a good choice for us when we drove that route. I was amazed how much 'open' country we drove through, and how pretty it was.

We stopped at San Luis Obispo for dinner, and it's a lovely little town with a nice old mission in the center. (We had a great meal at the restaurant adjacent to the mission's garden entrance.) Had we wanted to spend the night, we would have been happy at San Luis Obispo.

cferrb Jul 18th, 2009 09:36 AM

We've driven up and down the state many times, ever since my young uns were babies. I don't understand your theory that you want to take I5 because it's faster but you want to spend the night. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to take I5 is because you're in a hurry and want to make the trip in a day.

If you do want to stay somewhere nice, Harris Ranch is about the half-way point between LA and SF. It's likely to be pretty expensive, but it's a nice place and has a nice restaurant (although we've never stayed there....see above).

When our children were small we always travelled Highway 101. My husband called it 20 leagues and a diaper change, since the California missions were conveniently spaced apart up and down the highway as places that we could pull over and take care of our children's bodily functions and learn some history at the same time.

San Luis Obispo is great, as suggested by dbdurand. Other places that are less scenic but very practical are Santa Maria and Paso Robles. I've been looking at hotels in SLO for myself and they look a little expensive right now. SLO is a college town so the downtown area usually has some pretty good energy, even during the summer.

janisj Jul 18th, 2009 10:53 AM

Only (and I do mean <B>ONLY</B>) take I-5 if you plan on doing the drive in one day. It is a very doable 1-day drive. There is absolutely no reason to stop over -- and even if there was, there is absolutely no scenic or nice place to stay.

If you insist on stopping - then take 101.

Thems yer choices. Fast w/ no stops on I-5 -- or -- slower and much more scenic w/ one stop on 101.

MichelleY Jul 18th, 2009 12:03 PM

I LOVE I-5!!! I LOVE to drive fast!!

A good mid-way stop would be Harris Ranch. Plus you could get a great steak dinner.

MY

Iregeo Jul 18th, 2009 03:33 PM

In my experience, I-5 is about 1.5 - 2 hours shorter than 101, though less scenic. As the others have said, there's no reason to stop, other than perhaps for lunch, if you take the I-5.

janisj Jul 18th, 2009 04:09 PM

yep - Harris Ranch -- but only to eat, not to <u>sleep</u> IMO . . . . :)

MonicaRichards Jul 18th, 2009 04:16 PM

Harris Ranch reeks of cows. No way would I want to sleep there! We are converts to 101 after taking I5 for years down to San Diego. The 101 drive is just so much nicer it's worth the extra time, and I think it's only about an hour longer anyway.

yk Jul 18th, 2009 05:37 PM

My brother and I took I-5 up from LA to SF a few days ago; and we are half-way back on 101 right now (I'm using the free wi-fi at our hotel).

101 is far nicer than I-5! One can literally set the cruise control on I-5 and take a nap for 2hours and one will still be on the interstate - there is not a single bend in that stretch via Central Valley! Plus it HOT HOT HOT outside right now, over 105F, so we had to crank our A/C way up.

We are stopping half-way on 101 in Atascadero, just 10 miles south of Paso Robles. We would have preferred Paso Robles but hotels are too expensive there for a Sat night, and we found something cheaper in Atascadero.

Along 101, you can make some short detours to visit several Missions on the way.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. During end of July thru early August, is the mid-CA State fair. So check the dates against yours; hotel rates may be even higher during the state fair.
http://www.midstatefair.com/

Supercilious Jul 19th, 2009 05:29 PM

If there is no traffic in the Bay Area or near LA, you can make the drive on I-5 in just under 6 hours. No need to spend the night. As others have said, break up the drive by stopping for lunch. Harris Ranch is probably your best bet.

MichelleY Jul 19th, 2009 08:28 PM

What a bunch of sissies! Hot weather, reeking manure, nothing to see ... When you are driving you can't be looking around anyway. There is plenty to see, you just have to look for it. The SJ Valley has a different kind of beauty, not as splendid as the coast, just different.

MY, aka SJ Valley farm girl

Cali Jul 19th, 2009 08:57 PM

I also prefer 101 to I-5. I just hate I-5 as it is so boring and the trip seems (although it is not) lots longer on that freeway. 101 is beautiful and we make the trip fairly fast.

janisj Jul 19th, 2009 09:47 PM

MichelleY --- your part of the central valley is great. But ain't nuthin' (<u>nuthin'</u>) great about Kettleman City, Lost Hills, Buttonwillow or B'field :)

MichelleY Jul 20th, 2009 05:56 AM

JJ - Yeah, I have to agree about everything south of K-City!!

MY

MomDDTravel Jul 20th, 2009 06:31 AM

I agree that there is no reason to stop over. I have driven the 101 route (if you are nervous at all with cliffs and windy roads this is not the best route) - we did stop over on the 101 way but only because that was the plan... meaning we did a road trip and staying in Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Francisco and Napa. On the way home we went straight down the 5 and were in Orange County no issue.

Cali Jul 20th, 2009 03:27 PM

Hi Dawn, are you sure you mean 101 when you say cliffs and winding roads? We have driven 101 many times and it isn't bad. I do agree that Hwy 1 through Big Sur is winding with cliffs and I don't need to do that one again.

MomDDTravel Jul 20th, 2009 03:30 PM

I am embarrassed - I thought they were one and the same? It is exactly there - Big sur and it was raining and I was a nervous mess... and said "never again". I thought that was the only option or the 5??

MichelleY Jul 20th, 2009 03:37 PM

In some stretches, 101 & 1 are one in the same.

Cali Jul 20th, 2009 08:36 PM

Hi Dawn, You have no reason to be embarrassed. I should have said as MichelleY did that 1 and 101 are in the same in some areas but not in Big Sur. I too did Big Sur in terrible weather (some fog) and will NEVER do it again.