Reload this Page >

Kure Beach - Pleasure Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Jill

Going to NC coast late this summer - want something different than Outer Banks ... Anyone have comments on Kure Beach? Will be two adult couples ... laid back atmosphere w/some decent restaurants fine by me ... with a decent beach & hopefully warm water ...

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:53 AM
April

My husband and I have been to Kure Beach several times and love it! We told another couple about it, they went, and are thinking of retiring there.

The beach is not very crowded (we went in late September one year and about 10 people walked by us on the beach) and it is very laid back. There are not that many good restaurants in Kure Beach (that we have found), but there are some in Carolina Beach and definetly some in Wilmington which is about 30 minutes away.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Dan

My best friend from college lives in Kure Beach so I go often. One cool aspect is onthe south end at Fort Fisher there is a 2 mile stretch of the pennisula where you can drive on the beach. Also there is a ferry to take you over to SouthPort which is very nice to visit. The wave action is really good there for surfing. It is also good for surf or pier fishing. There isn't anything real fancy about it but there is lots to do. Some decent bars also.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Jill

Thanks for answers ... We've booked a condo in Ocean Dunes - think I'll like it other than it is HUGE complex apparently. Is there any problem with low-key drinking on the beach? How long does it take (approx.) to drive into Wilmington? Looks good for some day trips, also plan on Southport. Both have good July 4 festivals it seems.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Dan

Drinking is fine as long as you have it in a cup or something and you draw attention to your selves. It takes 30 minutes to get into Wilmington. Don't go to South Port on a Sunday...everything is closed.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:17 PM
wendy

We lived in NC for 5 years and Carolina/Kure Beaches were always our weekend get away destinations. There is so much to do there and in Wilmington! The Fort Fisher Aquarium is wonderful and so is the ferry ride mentioned in a previous post - there's a beautiful plantation over there too. In Wilmington there is fun shopping at the Cotton Exchange and you can tour historic homes and a battle ship. I would also recommend Airlie Gardens. Our favorite restaurants are The Cottage in Carolina Beach and The Dockside in Wilmington just before you cross the bridge to Wrightsville Beach. I think there are a lot more fun things to do there than the Outer Banks. Have fun! I'm jealous!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:43 AM
jill

Thanks, Wendy. I am looking forward to it as well - it seems there will be PLENTY to do in our week's stay. I also can't wait for the seafood! Still wondering about Ocean Dunes ... anyone stayed there?