Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kure Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kure-beach-222796/)

Gigi May 20th, 2002 12:27 PM

Kure Beach

Does anyone have info. or viewpoints on Kure Beach?

April May 21st, 2002 06:28 AM

My husband and I have been to Kure Beach several times. It is a very quiet, small, beach town. It is about 30-45 minutes from Wilmington, about 10 minutes from Carolina Beach (which is larger and has more restaurants, a very small amusement park, and the traditional souvenier shops). We really enjoy going there since it is quiet.

dan woodlief May 21st, 2002 07:25 AM

I haven't been there in about five years. My parents used to take us there all the time when I was young too. Kure Beach is quite quiet and peaceful. Another benefit is that there are other things to do around the area, especially if you have kids. Ft. Fisher, the site of a major Civil War battle, is located there, as is a mid-sized aquarium that has just been renovated. You can also visit historic Wilmington and the WWII battleship USS North Carolina.

Gigi May 22nd, 2002 12:49 PM

Thanks- April & Dan. Kure Beach sounds nice & Carolina Beach also, which I haven't heard that much about on this site. How does Carolina Beach compare to Myrtle Beach?

April May 23rd, 2002 05:18 AM

Carolina Beach is a lot smaller than Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach has all the fun "kiddie" things to do, outlet malls, tons of lodging options, lots of restaurants, and golf closeby. It really depends on what you are looking for.

dan woodlief May 23rd, 2002 06:37 AM

I don't exactly know what you are looking for, but another beach that is between Myrtle Beach and Kure Beach in regards to quietness and activities is Atlantic Beach. There are lots of restaurants on the beach and in nearby Morehead City and Beaufort. Beaufort is a nice old town to visit too. Atlantic Beach has Ft. Macon, a highly popular Civil War fort and a few amusement facilities. It can be crowded during holidays but is wonderful in mid to late September. It has lots of seashells too, but I do prefer the sand on the beaches at other places. A lot of people also travel to the beaches just south of there, such as Emerald Isle.

jill May 23rd, 2002 06:42 AM

Gigi, I am going late June and staying at a condo right on the beach in Kure Beach. Found it thru Oceanfront Vacation Rentals website .. great pics (inside & out) of the condo and reasonable rates. Indoor/outdoor pools, etc, etc. I've done A LOT of research, and have found tons of things to do in the area.

Gigi May 23rd, 2002 08:22 AM

Thanks April, Dan & Jill. Dan- Emerald Isle sounds interesting-- I'll have to look into that. Jill- How did you happen to choose Kure Beach over the other beaches?

dan woodlief May 23rd, 2002 09:42 AM

Gigi, <BR><BR>I can't answer for Jill, but when I choose the beaches at Wilmington it is mainly for one reason. If you live in the Triangle area of North Carolina it is a lot faster drive than to Atlantic Beach, the Outer Banks, or Myrtle Beach.

Gigi May 23rd, 2002 01:21 PM

Dan- so you prefer Atlantic Beach, OBX and Myrtle Beach. And, if so, why?

dan woodlief May 23rd, 2002 03:09 PM

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in a while. I would say Myrtle Beach is a whole different animal. I wouldn't go there for relaxation like I would to other beaches because it is quite crowded and touristy. I love the Nags Head/Duck/Hatteras area for this purpose. Atlantic is also very relaxing during the off season and offers a lot to do, especially if you have children. I think Kure offers some of the same if you include driving into Wilmington, but it is quieter on the whole. I honestly don't have a favorite beach, but I would probably pick the Outer Banks. I just don't go there for long weekends much because of the distance. For relaxation alone, Kure is as good as any, along with some of the other smaller beaches around Wilmington (I haven't personally been to any of those).

Jill May 24th, 2002 09:45 AM

Gigi, I choose Kure because it sounds like a VERY peaceful setting - I love to just walk on the beach, esp. early morning. Another couple is going with us, and neither of us will be bringing children (they're grown!). Also, I have been to Nags Head several times, and wanted variety. The other couple is driving (from Cinti) so I chose a place not too far (driving time-wise). In addition, Wilmington and Southport both have many things to do & see! I have confidence we're going to like this area!

Gigi May 24th, 2002 06:16 PM

Dan & Jill- thank you for all the helpful info. Kure, Atlantic and OBX beaches all sound like good places, although I've read about the 2 lane road to Nags Head & heard it gets very crowded on the weekends and in the summer. I also just read on a post from someone just back from OBX that there are signs posted alerting people of sharks and undertows. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Wendy Jun 16th, 2002 07:14 PM

We lived in NC for five years and went to Carolina/Kure Beach almost every time we went to the beach. We have also gone back when we go back to NC to see old friends. There is so much to do in that area and in Wilmington such as an aquarium, civil war fort, ferry to Southport (a cute town with a plantation nearby you can tour), Airlie Gardens, shopping in downtown Wilmington, historic homes, a battleship you can tour, etc. We loved it! We went to the Outer Banks too and actually liked the Wilmington area better because there was more to do and more good restaurants to choose from. It really has a special place in our hearts!

Gigi Jun 18th, 2002 05:14 PM

Thanks Wendy-- it sounds wonderful & I think we'll try it out this summer!