Notices

Kudos to my fellow hikers

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 11:46 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26,093
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kudos to my fellow hikers

We're "stuck" (it's actually really nice) at an RV "resort" in suburban Maryland while we await COVID testing and results so we can go stay with and help care for our grandchildren, who live in DC. Our entertainment here is hiking and the pool. The pool has plenty of space to social distance (probably not so next weekend, the 4th of July, but hopefully we'll be gone by then). Meanwhile, we took two nice hikes - 5 miles each - one on the Rachel Carson Greenway (Northwest Branch Trail) and one in Rock Creek Park (Valley Trail). The former was relatively lightly traveled, the latter moderately, but EVERYONE on both trails was very respectful of distance, and almost everyone wore a mask when passing fellow hikers (whether from the front or behind). We were very pleasantly surprised.
sf7307 is offline  
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 01:16 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,708
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
We're seeing the same here in East Tennessee. Our local parks never closed, and everyone managed to socially distance. Our state parks opened earlier than in many states and even though we had escapees from still-shutdown Virginia everyone was respecting the guidelines. Honestly, having our local parks remain open was a saving grace; opening (most of) the state parks early was so appreciated.

I know where you are staying. DH's parents vacationed there a couple of times while touring the country in their RV when we lived in D.C. Our children loved the pool! Fingers crossed you will see your grandchildren soon!
fourfortravel is offline  
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 12:46 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 14,770
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sf7307 View Post
We're "stuck" (it's actually really nice) at an RV "resort" in suburban Maryland while we await COVID testing and results so we can go stay with and help care for our grandchildren, who live in DC. Our entertainment here is hiking and the pool. The pool has plenty of space to social distance (probably not so next weekend, the 4th of July, but hopefully we'll be gone by then). Meanwhile, we took two nice hikes - 5 miles each - one on the Rachel Carson Greenway (Northwest Branch Trail) and one in Rock Creek Park (Valley Trail). The former was relatively lightly traveled, the latter moderately, but EVERYONE on both trails was very respectful of distance, and almost everyone wore a mask when passing fellow hikers (whether from the front or behind). We were very pleasantly surprised.
15 more miles of trails await you at Great Falls, another NPS site. Moderately travelled during the week but I imagine busier on the weekend. A similar experience -- masks, politeness and people respectful of distances.

https://www.nps.gov/grfa/planyourvisit/conditions.htm


Originally Posted by fourfortravel View Post
We're seeing the same here in East Tennessee. Our local parks never closed, and everyone managed to socially distance. Our state parks opened earlier than in many states and even though we had escapees from still-shutdown Virginia everyone was respecting the guidelines. Honestly, having our local parks remain open was a saving grace; opening (most of) the state parks early was so appreciated.
Virginia State Parks reopened June 11th.
​​​​​​​
obxgirl is online now  
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 07:21 PM
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26,093
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 more miles of trails await you at Great Falls
We hiked Great Falls yesterday!
sf7307 is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 03:36 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,708
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
"Virginia State Parks reopened June 11th."

Tennessee State Parks reopened in May. I joked on my social media then about how I felt I was back home after hiking at a park near the border and seeing nearly all Virginia-tagged vehicles in the lot.
fourfortravel is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 06:35 AM
  #6  
mms
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in WA, it is really frustrating on the trails. You need to really get away from the popular trails to have any sense of what it is normally like here. We did a popular trails last weekend, and knew it would be busy, so just went early to help. The first half was fine, but by about the second half the loop it was a disaster! Literally 6-7 times more busy than we have ever seen it and we have been hiking this trail every year for over 25 years. The biggest issue was lack of distancing/no masks (only 6 people besides us with masks out of over 100 people we saw), and huge groups. Parking lot a zoo, multiple cars parked in etc. We noticed on our way out that most of the license plates were out of state. Great.....

We are backpacking this weekend and going way the heck out, 3+ hours away just to get away. Going to snake/tick country in the hopes of avoiding people.
mms is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 06:48 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 16,260
Received 61 Likes on 4 Posts
We were in Mesa Verde a few weeks ago. It was fairly quiet, as no tours and the cliff dwellings were closed, yet an inconsiderate family from Alabama refused to keep their distance from what few of us there were at the overlooks.

Otherwise it was very pleasant. No one masked on the trails we walked (including us), but other hikers were considerate, giving plenty of space wherever possible.

Melnq8 is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 09:52 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 14,770
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfortravel View Post
"Virginia State Parks reopened June 11th."

Tennessee State Parks reopened in May. I joked on my social media then about how I felt I was back home after hiking at a park near the border and seeing nearly all Virginia-tagged vehicles in the lot.
I understood your joke.

I commented only b/c this is a travel forum and your post made it unclear whether or not VA parks are currently open.
obxgirl is online now  
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 10:01 AM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 14,770
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mms View Post
Here in WA, it is really frustrating on the trails. You need to really get away from the popular trails to have any sense of what it is normally like here. We did a popular trails last weekend, and knew it would be busy, so just went early to help. The first half was fine, but by about the second half the loop it was a disaster! Literally 6-7 times more busy than we have ever seen it and we have been hiking this trail every year for over 25 years. The biggest issue was lack of distancing/no masks (only 6 people besides us with masks out of over 100 people we saw), and huge groups. Parking lot a zoo, multiple cars parked in etc. We noticed on our way out that most of the license plates were out of state. Great.....

We are backpacking this weekend and going way the heck out, 3+ hours away just to get away. Going to snake/tick country in the hopes of avoiding people.
I'm certain you're on top of ticks & lyme disease but I thought I'd mention as a PSA that covid and lyme share many non-specific symptoms including the loss of taste & smell. A good friend has spent two weeks isolated in his basement thinking he had contracted covid (despite two negative tests). He didn't get the tell-tale bulls eye rash until the end of the 2nd week.
obxgirl is online now  
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 05:38 AM
  #10  
mms
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obxgirl—thank you, I truly appreciate your information. Yes, we are aware😊. We had a great trip. No ticks and just one rattlesnake. Very few people and those that we did see, almost every one masked up when we got close. We had our 4th of July masks.
mms is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cactushugger
United States
31
Sep 18th, 2006 03:03 PM
tiffalicious
Mexico & Central America
8
Oct 27th, 2003 06:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO